SUMAC - The Deal (members of Isis, Baptists, Russian Circles)

codeine

Everything after that was a pretty radical shift in style from the 1st album, but I think that was because there were so many DEP-ripoff bands by that point, that they wanted to tread some different ground and avoid getting lumped-in with the imitators.

I appreciate when bands do that. I know that Altar of Plagues was feeling that same way for their last album. Obviously not a DEP ripoff, but you get the point.

from what i remember they changed their style because fans did not like the vocals and they wanted something that was more "fun" to play live

Yeah 1st album Kai (one of the guitar players) did vocals and after that they got Chris Bahris on vox IIRC either way pretty sure their old sound and newer sound most/all the parts were written by Nick, the drummer, and the other guitar player (the one who is not Kai.)

• 2 weeks later...

This new Baptists album is deemed to come out blazing. I haven't listened to Bushcraft yet but those two tracks off Bloodmines prompted me to do my homework.

Bushcraft and their Self Titled 7" are both beasts.  I'd recommend both of them, but I think the 7" is a little better overall

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...