Annoying remarks on Discogs/eBay

nico

I find All Your Music's prices are usually identical on both (if you include the postage they charge on Amazon). Not all their records are sent from the USA, but I wonder how they make any money on many of the ones that are as postage must sometimes be more than the price they are charging for the record.

Yeah, I actually forgot that back when I still checked their ebay store they charged around 3 GBP shipping and it was almost always more expensive than amazon, but a while ago they narrowed down the list of countries they ship to and my country fell off that list, so that's why I don't use their ebay store anymore haha :) Weirdly enough, their amazon store still ships to my place.

As for how they manage to turn a profit, I wondered that as well (they must have one hell of a shipping contract), but a while ago I read an article about rarewaves, which is a pretty similar company, and they seemed to be doing incredibly well.

Cheers for the heads up!

I always check amazon.com/ca too as for £4 postage, it can work out cheaper from there. I'm still amazed I got Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack for £11 posted to the UK from amazon.ca.

Yeah, I regularly use .com and .ca as well, I especially love how every order from .ca arrives within 48 hours with the cheapest shipping option available. 

When people list Sealed items and list the media as "Mint", how can they truly be sure that the media is mint?  How do they know there's not any manufacturing error or the label is off center?

It's mint because it's never been opened. The seller is not responsible for manufacturing errors.

the only one I actually appreciate is "from a smoke free home" - as a non-smoker, I can't stand getting older records that have been sitting in someone's house getting drenched in cigarette smoke. they stink.

When I resell my textbooks on Amazon, I clarify that they are from a "non-smoking, non-drinking household."

I swear it's what makes them sell, since I list them for the median price or whatever. 

"The $6 shipping fee is to cover the shipping & materials."

^ It becomes annoying when you receive the package 9 days later and it is two pieces of scrap cardboard taped together with a USPS label that says "Postage paid $2.90".  Do your parents/roommates charge you $3.10 to use their discarded cardboard and borrow some tape?

"only opened to check color"

As if anyone on fucking eBay actually plays records. What the fuck else did you open it for, to smell it?

I... I think I might sig this.

In seriousness (as if VC is ever serious), I hate most sellers on discogs with their ludicrous pricing and shipping costs. I try not to be "that guy" and ship for as cheap as possible and list my stuff as reasonable as possible.

I've only bought a few things off of discogs when it has been a good deal, but most things I want on there are being sold at a fair price from like Germany or Japan and that makes the fair price not even remotely worth my while.

When people try to play off how good of condition a record is in based on it's age, as if something twenty years old shouldn't or couldn't be NM? "This record is from 1984, that makes its condition immaculate considering it's 30 years old."
I've seen 100 year old records that were NM and one year old records in poor condition, what's the point?

When dumbass people don't realize that once something is played, it's highly unlikely to still be mint. Matter of fact, chances are, plenty of un-played records are not quite mint. Paper from inner-sleeves in the grooves can make something new to sound quite used. Mint gets more over used than any other grading because it should be reserved, at best, for new, unplayed records.

Scuffing from the sleeve rarely, if ever, affects the playability of the record. 

Most everyone grades visually.  Unless the record costs a nice chuck of change, you should assume that to be the case.  If that bothers you, find a sealed copy so you can bitch about the swirl marks from the sleeve.

"Won't ship outside of the US."

As if collecting records isn't hard enough already with these ridiculous shipping prices.

I won't ship outside of the US specifically because anytime I have they've always tried to pull a fast one on me and ain't nobody got time for that.

I won't ship outside of the US specifically because anytime I have they've always tried to pull a fast one on me and ain't nobody got time for that.

A few too many Europeans have tried to rip off me and my pals. Very few from USA, and no Canadian issues.

Sad that a few bad apples can sometimes ruin it for the whole bunch.

I hate when people re list stuff for sale, constantly. I've had the same Death record for sale for a rediculous price just about every other day since I put it on my wantlist.

I think this is because of the way Discogs charge. If you are not a US$ seller, the amount they charge you is based on the exchange rate on the day you listed the item for sale. It's to the benefit of the seller to keep listing something every day if the exchange rate is improving in their favour and to stop when it goes the other way.

I think this is because of the way Discogs charge. If you are not a US$ seller, the amount they charge you is based on the exchange rate on the day you listed the item for sale. It's to the benefit of the seller to keep listing something every day if the exchange rate is improving in their favour and to stop when it goes the other way.

I believe it is more an exposure thing, it now turns up more in your daily email and it is on the first page of all list on Discogs.

Scuffing from the sleeve rarely, if ever, affects the playability of the record. 

Most everyone grades visually.  Unless the record costs a nice chuck of change, you should assume that to be the case.  If that bothers you, find a sealed copy so you can bitch about the swirl marks from the sleeve.

People who have been into records for more than a few years can usually grade visually and be accurate. But it does take some time to figure out what marks on the vinyl sound like. Also, clean records can still sound shitty. Even looking at a record under a strong light, things can escape your eyes. When I sell records, I always play-grade on a cheap TT, that way I can know it actually sounds like. Takes way longer but I've never really had any complaints.