Size of your collection

inb4 "it's not the size that counts". I don't give a shit who has the most records on here, it ain't a contest.

Just interested what kind of size your collection is. Is it dictated by the size of your house/apartment/partner/job/religion? Plus, how long did it take you to build up to this size?

Currently my collection is around 500 or so. Started buying records when I was about 15 (2001) but only cheap stuff when I could afford it. Couldn't buy much during university due to lack of £££, started buying more and more when I got a decent job a few years after graduation. My current storage unit has reached its limit, so my options now are to sell or seriously rearrange and expand the stereo/storage area in my house.

After inadvertently buying 2 or 3 doubles when I last visited Amsterdam and NRW in the summer of '13, I finally broke down and decided I needed to catalogue all of my stuffs to avoid getting the same records and having to flip them.

Started around X-mas last year and took a couple of months working on it for 1 or 2 hours every day.

Right now Discogs count says it's about 4500 something items (lp's, 12's, cd's, 7", boxsets, dvd's, tapes, vhs... http://www.discogs.com/user/JRyall/collection) with a value of 80k euros. Some of the records do not count towards the collection value because they were never sold on Discogs :)

Started back in 1989 when I was 14. The 90's weren't the best time to be into records. Didn't have much money, there's was no internets and vinyl pressing were scarce anyways. But still I managed to obtain lots of records that now go for hefty amounts of $$$.

Collection grew bigger in the last 10-15 years due to having a decent job and repeated visits to the best spots in Europe, the US and Japan.

A couple of years ago I sold a bunch of cd's, 7"s along with some movie dvd's. Expecially with 7" I just dont have the willpower to bother playing 5 minutes of music at a time.

267 records. I also enjoy the discogs valuation feature

Collection Value Range

• Minimum:  A$5,308.17
  • Median:  A$7,712.13
  • Maximum:  A$11,556.58

Taking the median value that would put my collection at approximately $28.8 per record - not too bad

Taking the max value: $43.20

Taking the min value: $19.80

I didn't know about the valuation feature until right now. It appears about 20% of my albums are not valued... this either means they are priceless or worthless right? lol

I have quite a few not valued as well. It means they've never sold on Discogs. Not worthless, just not very sought after at the moment.

Started collecting CDs in 1996 and vinyl in 2003.

Have about 1100 LPs, 700 7", 1500 CDs

And I've trimmed the fat a ton in the last year. Got rid of most of the dollar bin albums and kept just the stuff I care about.

Last time I did the discogs value thing I nearly had a heart attack. I'd rather not think what my collection is worth.

I have quite a few not valued as well. It means they've never sold on Discogs. Not worthless, just not very sought after at the moment.

Or maybe too rare or obscure.

I added a bunch of stuff after coming back from Japan that was not in the database.

Even records from big names (Stones, Jethro Tull, Beastie Boys...).

Last time I did the discogs value thing I nearly had a heart attack. I'd rather not think what my collection is worth.

The other day I realized that the loan I'm gonna get from the bank to renovate the house and get a new car is about the same value as my record collection.

Still quite puzzled about it.

ya, that's what i figured ;)

incidentally, there are a few albums i've purchase from discogs sellers that are not valued.... so their system is not perfect.

Started back in 1989 when I was 14. The 90's weren't the best time to be into records. Didn't have much money, there's was no internets and vinyl pressing were scarce anyways. But still I managed to obtain lots of records that now go for hefty amounts of $$$.

Where are you from? I am the same age as you, and found quite a few in the 90s. Mind you I studied in Nottingham here in the UK and was blessed with many good shops. Then I moved to my current place which is 1 hour from London. So I would spend many a Saturday crate digging.

Before I lived somewhere with decent shops very early 90s, I used to send off an envelope to a mail order company, they would send their printed catalogue. I would then phone to reserve records, then send a cheque.

The advent of the internet reduces all this to click, click...get record.

Been collecting vinyl for a measly year and cassettes for like half a year. Have 50 or so 12"s, one 10" and three 7"s. Have about fifty cassettes. But I was jobless for half of the past year and I only make minimum wage now. Still though, vinyl/tapes are my main interest/hobby and I make an effort to obtain my favorites. So there's a clash between fund availability and determination. If I had more income I'd probably purchase multiple releases a week. Wish I could now.

Been collecting vinyl for a measly year and cassettes for like half a year. Have 50 or so 12"s, one 10" and three 7"s. Have about fifty cassettes. But I was jobless for half of the past year and I only make minimum wage now. Still though, vinyl/tapes are my main interest/hobby and I make an effort to obtain my favorites. So there's a clash between fund availability and determination. If I had more income I'd probably purchase multiple releases a week. Wish I could now.

My exact thoughts.