This is a slipmat thread.

This is my first post in this section and I'm really intimidated. I tried searching around and wasn't finding the answers to my questions in any of the other slipmat-related threads.

I know next to nothing about audio equipment.  My dad taught me how to set up a turntable when I was 16 and that is pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

So, I have a Denon DP-300F turntable. Two Christmases ago I upgraded my cart from the stock one to a Black Pearl and had a guy at a stereo shop install it and make sure the tonearm was set up properly.

I have the stock slipmat on my TT still:

Denon_DP300F.jpg

It's like this rubbery jawn and it collects a lot of dust and it's static-y.

Basically, I want to replace it with something else. (Cork? Acrylic?) I don't know how thick the stock mat is and I want to be able to find something that is the same thickness so I don't have to try to tweak the tonearm at all. 

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

you need to measure the stock one's thickness if you don't know it but it will probably be 3mm at a guess. As long as the new one is somewhere around + or - 1mm of the original you should be about fine.

Cork and Acrylic are good choices but my preference is always acrylic. There were some white acrylic ones floating around on ebay that had a cartridge protractor on one side and a speed strobe on the other which were quite cheap.

you need to measure the stock one's thickness if you don't know it but it will probably be 3mm at a guess. As long as the new one is somewhere around + or - 1mm of the original you should be about fine.

Cork and Acrylic are good choices but my preference is always acrylic. There were some white acrylic ones floating around on ebay that had a cartridge protractor on one side and a speed strobe on the other which were quite cheap.

Thanks for the reply! I'll see if I can find a ruler laying around my apartment to measure it. It's good to know that if I'm -/+ by 1mm it shouldn't require any adjustment.

I'm interested in the acrylic, but I have no idea what a cartridge protractor and speed strobe is. =\ I will have to Google it.

At first glance, I thought this said Slipknot instead of slipmat.

I kept saying slipknot in my head when I was typing it lol.

Very useful things

I just looked it up and I agree with you! I am now totally interested in this acrylic slipmat (is that what you would call it?)

Do you have any idea where I should start to look for one? I know you mentioned eBay, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for exactly as far as what it looks like, etc.

Keep us posted if you find something worth sharing. 

I've had the same TT for a couple of years and always refused to use a felt slipmat (they feel like dust magnets) but this acrylic one could be interesting. I kinda like the original rubber mat though, I just have to clean it one in a while with alcohol.

You can get calipers to measure the thickness. But it should be google-able. Or call Denon. But I always trust myself measuring more.

I just measured it.. it's 4.5mm. Seems too thick to replace with that acrylic one. =\

FWIW, I have one of Herbie's Way Excellent mats and I love it.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/ttmat.htm

I realize it's no acrylic, but just throwing it out there.

That looks pretty nice! I'm going to read up on it

yes 4.5mm is quite thick. you can get 5mm acrylic ones plus other materials but it might be difficult

Over here in the UK I found people that will machine acrylic to whatever I want and they were not that expensive. I found them on ebay and can't remember what search I used but they are people that make acrylic cake stands, brochure stands and that sort of thing.

yes 4.5mm is quite thick. you can get 5mm acrylic ones plus other materials but it might be difficult

Over here in the UK I found people that will machine acrylic to whatever I want and they were not that expensive. I found them on ebay and can't remember what search I used but they are people that make acrylic cake stands, brochure stands and that sort of thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analogue-Studio-Perspex-Clear-Acrylic-Turntable-Mat-/231258479912?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d8145d28

I have a Dual CS-505 and was looking at this, just can't work out if it's like a one acrylic slipmat fits all. Should this be ok just to replace with my standard stock one?