Weird Question: Mailbox slot that fits LP boxes

seaneee

I've been trying to find a mail slot that will fit a 12" record. You know, the ones that fit in doors or garage doors and are just a flap.  I know they exist, I found one, but it's $250.

If anyone knows of a less expensive solution that has a slot that is at least 12.5", I would really appreciate it. 

I've been trying to find a mail slot that will fit a 12" record. You know, the ones that fit in doors or garage doors and are just a flap.  I know they exist, I found one, but it's $250.

If anyone knows of a less expensive solution that has a slot that is at least 12.5", I would really appreciate it. 

Seems like it would be pretty easy to make one from scratch...

Yeah, for the cost, you could probably make one pretty easily. That's what I plan on doing when I replace my front door. 

So I can practice on the old door first. 

That's a good idea. If you can get it all soldered/welded together, testing it in the first door would make the second time just pop in with little additional time/effort.

I've thought about this before.

I've also thought about putting a large "mailbox" on my porch (like, large enough for those Amazon boxes), with some sort of lock mechanism... so the mailman can drop it in, lock it shut, and I'd have the key.

I guess it could just be a padlock I leave open, but I want to come up with something more elegant than that.

I've also thought about putting a large "mailbox" on my porch (like, large enough for those Amazon boxes), with some sort of lock mechanism... so the mailman can drop it in, lock it shut, and I'd have the key.

I guess it could just be a padlock I leave open, but I want to come up with something more elegant than that.

ou7fp0.png

Where I live, that would be a microwave in the summer, hence I like the idea of the mail slot. Who doesn't love slots?

Where I live, that would be a microwave in the summer, hence I like the idea of the mail slot. Who doesn't love slots?

Yeah, I'm much more in favor of the slot, just put that up for the person wanting a box. (You could also insulate it/cool it somehow to help with that.)

Before you go through the effort of building some custom mail slot/box with ten locks, talk with your local post office. I believe there are some restrictions about what you can and cannot have as your mail receptacle.

I spoke with mine in Durham, NC and they said they are no different than lock boxes at businesses, apartments, etc. As long as your standard mail (letters, ads, etc) are not affected. We still have a walking mail carrier, which I love. She/he parks in the neighborhood and walks through the whole community. Not sure if that's a difference. 

But, totally check for your area. 

I thought about making one before, I'm just paranoid it wouldn't be strong enough from a security standpoint. 

Before you go through the effort of building some custom mail slot/box with ten locks, talk with your local post office. I believe there are some restrictions about what you can and cannot have as your mail receptacle.

I'm in San Francisco, pretty much anything goes with mail. If there is somewhere to put it, it will get put. Carriers do what they can to avoid the trouble of having to write out slips or fill out paperwork for non-deliverable mail, etc.

My last place had a gate before the steps to the front door (second floor flat). It had an opening at the bottom that was just big enough to slide in LP boxes far enough away that someone couldn't reach in and grab them. Mail theft is kinda' a big deal here. 

ou7fp0.png

Exactly!

And yeah, a slot would be preferable (though it wouldn't deal with the Amazon boxes), but for us renters it's often not an option to punch a hole in the door.

In regards to the heat, the box wouldn't have to have solid walls, construct it with planks so you can leave small gaps!