PO: Circa Survive - Descensus (11/24/14)

Circa Survive-Descensus

Preorders and single, "Schema", up now.

descens.us

ImageProxy.mvc_192.jpg

Circa Survive, the progressive 5-piece rock band from Doylestown, Pennsylvania self-produced their fourth album Violent Waves at Studio 4 in suburban Philadelphia and have recently re-released it on Sumerian Records. Now they are back with their newest effort Descensus. Hailed as a remarkably visceral live act since their foundation, Circa Survive began their career with a genre-bending debut in 2005 entitled Juturna. Written and recorded before the band had ever performed a live show together, Juturna showcased the band's raw energy with "Act Appalled," and future-fans were introduced to Circa Survive through glistening tracks "The Great Golden Baby" and "In Fear and Faith." In 2007, the band followed-up with an acclaimed sophomore album, On Letting Go, which brought the brand into another realm of success. "The Difference Between Medicine and Poison Is in the Dose" and "In the Morning and Amazing" highlighted the band's strength as musicians and songwriters and poised them to be one of the most respected bands in rock music. After nearly two years of non-stop touring with Coheed and Cambria, Thrice, and more including jaw-dropping performances at such varied music festivals as Coachella and Bamboozle, the band needed a much-deserved break. Emerging after months of writing sessions and major life experiences, Circa Survive teamed with producer David Bottrill (Tool, Muse, King Crimson) and signed with major label Atlantic Records to release Blue Sky Noise in April 2010. The album debuted at #11 on the Billboard Top 200. Two years later - with no record label or traditional distribution outlet - Violent Waves debuted at #15. Charged with the lead track "Birth of the Economic Hit Man" clocking in at over 7-minutes in length, vocalist Anthony Green proclaims "we've become everything we criticize" shunning the safe and traditional and introducing fans to the next chapter of Circa Survive history. Now with their new album on deck, the machine that is Circa Survive, is showing no signs of slowing down.

Announcement video:

Preorders and "Schema" music video:

descens.us

Vinyl info:

Test pressing with screen printed sleeve /15

Yellow/Black splatter /1000

zCirca-Survive_YELLOW-BLACK-SPLATTER-DOU

Clear with Blue/White splatter Hot Topic exclusive /1000 CircaDec01_zps4f050f7e.jpeg

Black 180g retail /???

Trans Blue /1500

And I thought the Sumarian thing was a one time thing, for the DVD release. Hmmm.

That AP interview with Anthony says "the Pennsylvania quintet have aligned themselves with Sumerian Records, which will reissue Violent Waves on a CD packaged with a bonus live DVD Sept. 9, as well as handle the release of Circa’s fifth studio album, due out in November. "

I was not a huge fan of Blue Sky Noise and I had super high hopes for it. I have only found myself able to play all the way through Violent Waves once. I'm not sure what to expect from this LP but I'm trying not to expect anything so maybe I'll find something to like about the overall effort. We'll see. I'm kind of shocked this announcement comes so close to the projected release date. Seems like a followed BSN's gestation process for over 2 years. That's probably what it was and the announcement was probably at least 6 months prior to release.

Really excited for this, I remember reading something in which Anthony Green said that this is the first album they have done in which he is happy about every part of the recording process put into this album and that there is nothing he wishes he would have done differently/changed. Being a huge Anthony Green fan this alone makes me anticipate this release that much more! 

Juturna is eternal champion as far as I'm concerned. I can't even believe how killer it is. I'm interested in what Decensus will sound like now that they've said its their most aggressive record.

Juturna was a real turning point for me as far as my musical tastes. It will always hold a dear spot in my heart!

Juturna and On Letting Go are near and dear to my heart. But Blue Sky Noise was just a complete and utter disappointment on every level and really turned me off to anything new by them. Appendage was eh, and Violent Waves was alright - it seemed to be an effort to reclaim the old sound after the squeaky-clean BSN. I'm scared to hope for something amazing. Here's to hoping we get a single before the official drop.