PO: Circa Survive - Descensus (11/24/14)

• 2 months later...

I don't know how Circa Survive ended up at Sumerian in the first place.

They only did an one album deal as far as I know. Think what I read was that they are really good friends with the label owner, and rather then go through the long and expensive process of self releasing, or having to sign to another label, whose contracts usually bind a band to 2-3 albums, this was probably the easiest option.

• 4 months later...

its probably because Travis told hot topic the demand was so big they printed 10,000 and are now stuck with a shitload of them. Sometime what drives the demand for a record is the supply, and it was handled poorly here.

Yeah, I pretty much stopped covering HT "Limited" releases after they stopped providing legit press numbers and repressed everything identically.

Kinda guess against the definition of the word...

Nothing against much needed represses, but they're tarnishing the "Limited" and "Exclusive" factors they had going early on. IMO

Yeah, I pretty much stopped covering HT "Limited" releases after they stopped providing legit press numbers and repressed everything identically.

Nothing against much needed represses, but they're tarnishing the "Limited" and "Exclusive" factors they had going early on. IMO

Agreed. I feel like having something limited to 1000 will sell 1000 copies. Having it limited to 10,000 or whatever will probably sell more like 700 copies. (Just an example)

If I know something isnt limited I dont really rush to buy it and most the time I end up not buying it until way later. Like years later. I've wanted Digital Ash by Bright Eyes on vinyl for like 5 years but knowing its not limited I dont feel the urgency to buy it. Even though its like $12 haha.

Agreed. I feel like having something limited to 1000 will sell 1000 copies. Having it limited to 10,000 or whatever will probably sell more like 700 copies. (Just an example)

If I know something isnt limited I dont really rush to buy it and most the time I end up not buying it until way later. Like years later. I've wanted Digital Ash by Bright Eyes on vinyl for like 5 years but knowing its not limited I dont feel the urgency to buy it. Even though its like $12 haha.

The funny thing is when travis mentioned they were going to be pressing more identical copies I made an argument that it ruined the "limited" aspect of it and people were arguing against it. I am glad to see other people understood  my point of view. Your statement of the more pressed the less purchased is 100% accurate in my opinion. An example would be DAISY from BRAND NEW. They first pressed theirs on black on supposed unlimited vinyl and its still available to this day. I doubt they are still pressing it so its probably not unlimited. However, look at the green one that was pressed and it was gone in a matter of weeks. 

I agree, If something is limited to 1000, i'll grab it so i dont miss out on it. if its 10,000 im in no rush to get it because i will have time to grab it.

Completely agree, however an example against that would be sufjans latest effort "Carrie and lowell" which was limited to 10K on clear and I cannot find a damn single one. Wahhh who would've thought, because of that high of a number, I waited on it and now I have the black unlimited? Variant... Not that I am complaining bough that album is pure gold.

• 4 weeks later...