DC Cinematic Universe Thread

Suicide Squad's' Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

"[Ayer] wrote the script in like, six weeks, and they just went," he says, arguing that the whole process would have benefited if Ayer, 48, had been given more time to work. But another source closely involved with the film says once it was dated, pushing back the release was not an option."

I liked BvS but it should've been much better tbh. And if you need an extended cut to make it a better movie (and a long movie even longer), I don't know what to tell you.

I want Suicide Squad to be a great movie but hearing critics I trust like Stuckmann point out several major flaws (while Jahns couldn't stop praising the whole thing), I'll keep my expectations a bit lower. Which is probably a good thing because my expectations were quite high and I'll probably enjoy it more now.

Just got out. Everything I wanted in a SS movie. Its really good IMO. The critics are over exaggerating how bad it is. Nothing wrong at all with the cut or pacing. 

Also the Easter eggs, throwbacks and cameos were awesome. Have plenty of valid criticisms of the movie. SS could

have been a LOT better than what it is.

I'll say the cinematography is pretty amazing.

Edited by Kanellos

What movie did you guys see? That was one of the worst "comic book" movies I've ever seen. The "villians" were laughable and looked awful. The joker was the worst joker I've ever seen on screen. This movie never looked good, and it wasn't. I think it's really sad that DC fans keep convincing themselves they like this shit simply because they like the characters (even though they were butchered) and because it's simply not marvel. 

I'm honestly surprised the rotten tomatoes score isn't lower. I read a couple of the "positive" reviews and couldn't find one that didn't think the movie was awful. I'm not sure why they're considered positive. 

I can say that both Justice League and especially Wonder Woman look like huge improvements for DC. Hopefully they got their shit together. 

I agree with the worst Joker issue. The movie isn't horrible but it isn't great either. It's just sort of blah/meh. I have seen better block by block Army clearing action in TV shows. There was really nothing going on in this movie. Fight weird monster soldies here, have a little dialog, make it to a building, fight more monster soldiers etc... It was all over the place. Pacing did seem to be a problem. Frankly, I thought I'd love Harley in this based off of commercials, but her Jersey accent kind of felt overdone. I also felt like some of the jokes and humor didn't land properly. 

Edited by thefavoriteplay

I didn't care for it that much. It was all over the place story/pacing/focus-wise and too much Will Smith being Will Smith. He's a great actor and leading man, but he stuck out like a sore thumb here. Deadshot should've been played by a lesser-known actor.

That said, I have complete faith in Geoff Johns steering the ship back on course.

Looks like we got a radically different movie than the original cut.

I think all of the millennial rap/pop music they threw in instead of Steven Price's beautiful score, the color changes and re-shoots all had something to do with WB stepping in. David says it was his cut but I think the man wants to work in the directors chair again and not ruin his contacts.

http://collider.com/suicide-squad-cut-scenes/

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/08/07/jared-leto-says-he-shot-enough-footage-for-a-joker-movie-wishes-/

Plus the novelization backs up the deleted scenes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/4wl02f/differences_between_the_suicide_squad_theatrical/

I hope Geoff and Snyder get full control with no budget, time/rating constraints when it comes to JL.

Edited by Kanellos

I am a littly behind and just watched BvS today. 

I am usually super critical of comic book movies and thought this was going to be trash, but it wasnt THAT bad, not great either. 

Affleck was a really solid Batman. and overall the action was wicked. As with all Zack Snyder movies, it was very emotionless as well the reason they stopped fighting was super corny.

Overall though it was a decent movie and I was surprised they actually had Doomsday do what he is famed for doing. 

Suicide Squad looks brutal. 

26 minutes ago, DafTyler said:

Also not sure if it was an extended version or not, over 3 hours though. 

There is an extended cut. That might be why you thought it wasn't so bad hahaha (Note: I did see the theatrical version first, and thought it was fine.)

Thinking about it, Suicide Squad really did have quite a few things cut, like already mentioned. I remember a few clips in some of the trailers that weren't in the film. Kinda hope there will be an extended edition... but it doesn't sound like it. Also probably going to go see it again on Wednesday.