Soon: Isis - Oceanic (Remastered)

Figured this could use of a thread of its own. Here's a press release from exclaim.ca and the first track.

"Oceanic, meanwhile, has been remastered for an upcoming November 4 release through Ipecac. Described in a press release as "a sea change moment for Isis," the group's sophomore LP last received a double-LP repress through Robotic Empire, but the band themselves have praised the upcoming edition's tweaked sonics.

"The clarity that's been revealed in these songs was surprising even to me," drummer Aaron Harris revealed in a statement. "I've heard these songs probably thousands of times. When I listened to the remastered version of 'Weight' it was like I was back in the studio recording the song. I also noticed a lot of new detail in Jeff's bass guitar, and energy in the guitars. I know Oceanic is a favorite among fans, and I think this remaster will bring a new appreciation even to those who have heard it many times."

You'll find a stream of the set's "The Beginning and the End," a punishing, post-metal melding of aggression and melody, down below. The reissue will also come with new packaging."

https://soundcloud.com/ipecacrecordings/isis-the-beginning-and-the-end_remastered

I listened to it again to see if I was just dead wrong.

Yep still don't like it.

So you like Panopticon but not Oceanic? Oceanic is my favorite, but it wasn't initially. Weight was the song that got me into Isis, but Panopticon was the album that got my hooked. By now I've overplayed most of their music and rarely listen to them, but my favorite album currently is definitely Oceanic.

I first heard of ISIS around '01 or '02 because they had been mentioned on Tool's website from time to time. I somehow checked out a track from Oceanic probably. When I heard it, I hated the vocals. I thought the music was pretty good but there were those passages that were mostly instrumental and they lasted too long. That was by my standards in 2002. I was very picky. I'm still picky but I've branched out a lot. When I started really listening to ISIS in about 2009, I couldn't believe I was so stupid 7 years prior to not have gotten what was so great about them. Anyway, Oceanic became my favorite album and I went on the hunt for the quintessential LP version of it. I ended up with a shit load of them. Its hard to say which press is my favorite now but the album still holds up.

Darn that remastered version of the beginning and the end sounds completely different.

I checked out Isis when Oceanic was released as I read they had a strong relationship with Neurosis and then I discovered my favorite band for the next 10 years. I remember I traveled once from Spain to UK just to see them live, and it worth every penny. I must have like 7 shirts or so, which by the way I cannot wear anymore because people tell me weird things about terrorist groups and the like...

I would say "Oceanic > Celestial > the rest" which a special mention to "Live 2", I love how it sounds, I feel that's Isis at its highest.

I listened to it again to see if I was just dead wrong.

Yep still don't like it.

Aye, you's a good guy. 

I just wanna say no Isis album was love at first or maybe even third listen, but I couldn't help being intrigued by what they were doing. Then it all just clicked one day. Not sure what song or album, but that might be the case with you in the future, mate. 

I don't know if what's printed on the inner sleeves of the vinyl pressing is available to read online, but that definitely makes it feel more conceptual as an album; especially the way the tracks flow. When I read the story (if that's what you'd call it) it really just made this album a full circle of fucking beauty. 

So you like Panopticon but not Oceanic? Oceanic is my favorite, but it wasn't initially. Weight was the song that got me into Isis, but Panopticon was the album that got my hooked. By now I've overplayed most of their music and rarely listen to them, but my favorite album currently is definitely Oceanic.

I do. I feel like they are drastically different albums. Even so, I recently relistened to Panopticon and I realized I can't even sit through entire songs, aside from Wills Dissolve and Altered Course.

• 2 weeks later...

In case someone still had hope for a vinyl release...

The remaster of our 2002 album "Oceanic" is now available on CD and digital download. Below are some ordering options, and (for those who missed it) a preview of "The Beginning And The End."
There is no plan to to release this version on vinyl at this time (we know, we know). Sorry to any of you that have had trouble finding it. Hope you enjoy the facelift.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Oceanic-Rema…/…/B00ON146PC/ref=sr_1_1…

[isis the band FB page]

I wonder what the reasoning for that is, I can't imagine that it wouldn't sell out rather quickly. A lot of people have started collecting vinyl since it was last released, you think the vinyl pressing would be a no brainer with all the old and new fans of the band and vinyl.