Help/Advice, please.

Okay so, I've been given a Kenwood Kd 291R. I know I need a preamp and speakers. It has auto return, does this mean I will not be able to play 10" s? Any cheap speakers that would be good? My grandpa bought it and used it twice, I can't find much info on it. Does it use an old school actual needle or a stylus?

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but that thing isn't really worth building a setup around. But yeah, you'd need a preamp and active speakers, or an integrated amp and passive speakers. At least $250 for something even remotely worth buying, but still, the table will make it sound no better than an average crosley. IF the stylus works perfectly, that is, if not, that's another $waymorethanit'sworth.

I mean, buying an amp or some good speakers or whatever won't hurt, you can use them with whatever turntable you get. But matching the rest of the equipment quality-wise with this particular table would be throwing the money down the toilet. What are you currently using? I know how hard it is to not listen to records while you're saving up for a particular piece of kit (or the whole setup), but I cannot stress enough how important it is to not buy something cheap as soon as you have just enough money.

Think through thoroughly how much you're willing to spend and make a plan, even if it takes you a year to save up. 

Never go for "this will be good enough for now" because you'll regret it within a month (usually within a few days).

Hit some local hi-fi shops and listen to some setups. Start with a $1000 setup for example, spend some time with it, then either move up or down on the price scale until you find a spot where you're comfortable enough with the sound you're getting while at the same time feel that the cost is worth it to you in the long run. Not just how many records you'll have to miss out on for the next few months, but also how much more enjoyment you'll get for the next decade or two.

I mean, buying an amp or some good speakers or whatever won't hurt, you can use them with whatever turntable you get. But matching the rest of the equipment quality-wise with this particular table would be throwing the money down the toilet. What are you currently using? I know how hard it is to not listen to records while you're saving up for a particular piece of kit (or the whole setup), but I cannot stress enough how important it is to not buy something cheap as soon as you have just enough money.

Think through thoroughly how much you're willing to spend and make a plan, even if it takes you a year to save up. 

Never go for "this will be good enough for now" because you'll regret it within a month (usually within a few days).

Hit some local hi-fi shops and listen to some setups. Start with a $1000 setup for example, spend some time with it, then either move up or down on the price scale until you find a spot where you're comfortable enough with the sound you're getting while at the same time feel that the cost is worth it to you in the long run. Not just how many records you'll have to miss out on for the next few months, but also how much more enjoyment you'll get for the next decade or two.

I couldn't agree more with every word and if you haven't already added it to the "don't buy a Crosley" thread Slinch it might be worth adding that passage.