SMLXL vinyl thread for Relient k

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how the band/label is making decisions on the vinyl color compared with cost to produce/cost to the consumer. Perhaps there are limitations on how creative they can be with vinyl color choice, otherwise they exceed budget? I dunno. You'd assume a run of 3000 would lower production costs though. Either way, surely the band/label must be aware of the option to be a little more creative on the vinyl itself...splatter, split, marble...anything really other than a solid or clear colorway. I'm not criticizing because I'm happy these are coming to vinyl but it is a reasonable question to raise.

Not only is white super lame, it's also (purportedly) subject to the most surface noise out of most color options, I hear.

surely the band/label must be aware of the option to be a little more creative on the vinyl itself...splatter, split, marble...anything really other than a solid or clear colorway. I'm not criticizing because I'm happy these are coming to vinyl but it is a reasonable question to ask.

Hang on a second. So white is bad because of surface noise, but you're bummed it's not some kind of splatter/split gimmick, which 9/10 times sounds like butts?

I don't get the focused hatred of white vinyl. Aesthetically, it's a perfectly logical choice - it's the secondary color across all 5 (now 6, if the basic layout is the same) covers, and the solid color goes well with the simple monochromatic artwork and solid washes in the original layout.

Hang on a second. So white is bad because of surface noise, but you're bummed it's not some kind of splatter/split gimmick, which 9/10 times sounds like butts?

I don't get the focused hatred of white vinyl. Aesthetically, it's a perfectly logical choice - it's the secondary color across all 5 (now 6, if the basic layout is the same) covers, and the solid color goes well with the simple monochromatic artwork and solid washes in the original layout.

No, I used the splatter/split as an example of thinking outside the box on the vinyl color instead of white. Doesn't mean it has to be gimmicky, just something a little more "fun" than white. But ya, I get your logic on the white matching with covers.

My bar for listening to a test press might be higher than most but I'm wanting to:

1. Have a kick-ass system

2. Possibly use headphones later so I can really notice the small things

3. Listen a few times to each side

4. Invite other people over to listen

5. And if I really want to, listen on a different record player

What I feel like they do

1. Slap it on a Crosley