I just got my copy of N.E.R.D's "In Search Of..." from CC Music's big sale. Placed the pristine white vinyl on the platter and dropped the needle... only to hear the start of Kid Cudi's "Man on the Moon 2" come on.

The entire Side A is that record, so I flip it expecting to encounter the same problem on Side B. Nope, now it's the N.E.R.D record I originally expected.

I've gotten mispackaged and/or incorrectly labeled records before, but never a mixed pressing like this. I did a quick search but couldn't find any similar complaints. I plan to reach out to CC Music to try and sort this out, but I'm also wondering if anyone has ever encountered something similar? Is there a market for mispressings like this?

Never heard of this sorta thing, but I'd be surprised if there was any market for something like this. I get that it's technically 'rare' but, other than hardcore N.E.R.D. or Kid Cudi collectors, I don't know if anyone would actually want to own this half-and-half record - there's no purpose to it, really. If there's minimal demand you'd be hard pressed to find a buyer.

I have a mispressing of a Mono album (Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky) with side C being from a different album. I bought it second hand off eBay but I emailed the label (Temporary Residence) and they sent me a free copy from their stock. I haven't tried selling it because I hadn't heard of it before, I had to make the discogs entry, but it's gone up to Have: 17 / Want: 27 so I guess there is some kind of market for this kinda thing

also the eBay seller didn't mention that it was a mispressing so I didn't intentionally seek it out or anything

I have a copy of Tame Impala's Lonerism with Kurt Vile on the D side. I just kept it. Thought it was cool.

Yeah, my debate was more whether I should re-buy the album and list this copy or potentially exchange it. I'll probably just wind up holding on to it if they don't demand I send it back just because it's kind of neat.

Once bought a 7" by the band Elbow and one side was a track by Madness. It only cost me £1 so I never really thought about it again until I was doing a clear out of records and I listed it on ebay and detailed the mispress. Ended up selling for £40+. So if you have crazy collectors you might just make some cash, after all some people go crazy for minor changes in labelling/packaging etc.

So when a mispress happens where a whole different thing is on one side, are multiple copies bound to be out there or is it usually an isolated case?

I'm no expert, but I would think there would be multiples because they would have had plate mixup on the one side. So unless they realized quickly (in which case they should have discarded the mistakes) there would likely be more than one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im confirming that I have the same problem, did you contact ccmusic or the record label, I would like to have the right music too lol

wandered in from google. i have the same issue.

I just emailed UMe, because i couldn't really find anyone else to contact. i don't want to just contact amazon -- who knows how many i'd have to go through to find one that's right?

did either of you guys above ever get a resolution?

• 2 years later...

@chasingbreakers DUDE! SAME WITH ME!! Years ago, I bought the record from FYE and was super excited to play it when I got home. Then Kid Cudi plays and I threw a fit (at the time I wasn't the biggest Kid Cudi fan. Now i'm eh with him). But I did nothing about. Didn't call anyone to fix the mistake. I just thought it was hella unique and hilarious. Crazy how someone else came across the same problem! Let me know what you ended up doing!