The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

My four year old is so damn obsessed with Star Wars but I've refused to show him the original. It's now inevitable that we watch before the new film comes out since I won't be able to keep it from him. The deal we cut last night was that he had to wait until he was five. This is both terrible and great parenting all at once. 

You didn't let him watch the prequels already right? 

I dunno, it's weird. Anyone who grew up before the prequels were out has a huge hate towards them for certain (pretty valid) reasons, but if you talk to kids / people who were kids when the prequels came out, they fucking love all the movies. Even though they were not the best films they still made Star Wars way more popular than before.

What prequels?

Exactly. He knows the cartoons and Legos mostly. I do storytime with him and tell him tales from the original films and he eats it up. We did have a moment when he told me that Jar Jar is funny and I questioned if we are relAted. Then again it confirms Lucas created a cartoon character and put it in a Star Wars film. At least he hates the Trade Federation shit too.

Hoping good things for David Prowse.

Apparent ive been able to successfully avoid the bowels of the Internet where people care that a storm trooper is black.

I mean...it is kind of a big deal that he's not a Jango Fett clone, but you've got to figure they'd eventually have to start using people other than clones.

Doesn't matter if he's black or white though.

I mean...it is kind of a big deal that he's not a Jango Fett clone, but you've got to figure they'd eventually have to start using people other than clones.

Well they're already recruiting other people in the Rebels show, which is set before Ep IV, so everyone complaining either isn't paying attention or they're just racist assholes.

Exactly. He knows the cartoons and Legos mostly. I do storytime with him and tell him tales from the original films and he eats it up. We did have a moment when he told me that Jar Jar is funny and I questioned if we are relAted. Then again it confirms Lucas created a cartoon character and put it in a Star Wars film. At least he hates the Trade Federation shit too.

My son is just getting into the Star Wars legos now... the AT AT is at the top of his list, and with no prodding from me.

re: the stormtrooper clone question

I thought the same thing, so I googled it and this is what I found:

"By the time the Galactic Civil War began in earnest, Jango Fett's clones were heavily supplanted by clones based on a variety of templates around 9 BBY,[13] followed shortly after by enlisted Humans.[19] Thus, the Fett clones were ironically reduced to a minority status after years of virtually filling the stormtrooper ranks in its entirety."

and

"Despite the influx of new troopers from various sources, the ranks remained dominated by Human males, thus reflecting the New Order's Human High Culture. By 0 BBY, roughly one-third of the stormtroopers were clones based on the Fett template, while recruits steadily became the majority within the Stormtrooper Corps.[20]"

More here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper

I love that the actor who played the Trade Federation guy was like uh I just read the lines the way they were in the scratch track...that film should have been called the phantom racist. 

Also the original novelizations of the original trilogy make for great reading, they are novel size but he may enjoy you reading him that or shadow of the empire that book is dope. 

Well they're already recruiting other people in the Rebels show, which is set before Ep IV, so everyone complaining either isn't paying attention or they're just racist assholes.

Or don't have time to watch the cartoons...

Probably racist assholes though, either way.

This is dumb or I'm crazy confused. Storm Troopers aren't Clone Troopers. Didn't Luke want to join the Imperial Forces like his friends?

Luke wanted to join the Rebels, I thought.

But also this:

re: the stormtrooper clone question

I thought the same thing, so I googled it and this is what I found:

"By the time the Galactic Civil War began in earnest, Jango Fett's clones were heavily supplanted by clones based on a variety of templates around 9 BBY,[13] followed shortly after by enlisted Humans.[19] Thus, the Fett clones were ironically reduced to a minority status after years of virtually filling the stormtrooper ranks in its entirety."

and

"Despite the influx of new troopers from various sources, the ranks remained dominated by Human males, thus reflecting the New Order's Human High Culture. By 0 BBY, roughly one-third of the stormtroopers were clones based on the Fett template, while recruits steadily became the majority within the Stormtrooper Corps.[20]"

More here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper

People don't pay attention to the lore at all and get all worked up about shit that doesn't affect them.

People can be real jerks.

(I have to admit that I read that too, Batman, I'm with you on this one, but I wanted to explain why some people might be worked up about it. I shouldn't play devil's advocate on this one though, it's clearly some dudes being racist.)

Or don't have time to watch the cartoons...

Probably racist assholes though, either way.

I posted in a hurry and should have worded it better, I'd put "uninformed" instead of "aren't paying attention". Basically from the posts I've read there are those who don't know or don't care to know the details (which is of course perfectly fine) aka uninformed and then there's those who do know but have a problem with it because he's black (basically what steventangent mentioned above) aka racist assholes. I've come across some of those posts and they're really a sad sight.

I posted in a hurry and should have worded it better, I'd put "uninformed" instead of "aren't paying attention". Basically from the posts I've read there are those who don't know or don't care to know the details (which is of course perfectly fine) aka uninformed and then there's those who do know but have a problem with it because he's black (basically what steventangent mentioned above) aka racist assholes. I've come across some of those posts and they're really a sad sight.

Such a bummer :(

Luke wanted to join the Rebels, I thought.

But also this:

People don't pay attention to the lore at all and get all worked up about shit that doesn't affect them.

People can be real jerks.

(I have to admit that I read that too, Batman, I'm with you on this one, but I wanted to explain why some people might be worked up about it. I shouldn't play devil's advocate on this one though, it's clearly some dudes being racist.)

I didn't think it was possible but I like you even more now. Star Wars nerd 4 eva.