The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

so i'm not the biggest star wars fan but I'm at home and have the flu.  figure i would watch some movies.  just wondering what order i should watch these bad boys?  is there a right way to watch the star wars?  I have been doing some reading and i keep hearing about the Machete order, but still want to watch episode I.

Edited by aviolentworld

8 minutes ago, aviolentworld said:

so i'm not the biggest star wars fan but I'm at home and have the flu.  figure i would watch some movies.  just wondering what order i should watch these bad boys?  is there a right way to watch the star wars?  I have been doing some reading and i keep hearing about the Machete order, but still want to watch episode I.

Lets just say, there's a reason they started at Episode IV.

1 hour ago, aviolentworld said:

Yeah I keep reading that watching I to VI reveals spoilers.  Obviously I know the spoilers, but just looking for optimal viewing experience.  Also just watched Rogue One last night so that works out a bit.

Basically, 4-6 have to be watched in order, as do 1-3 and 7-8.  How you watch those three groups won't really impact that much, but my personal suggestion is 4-6, then 1-3, then 7-8.

I personally think the new movies are the best, so it's worth watching them last (to get full context).

On 12/28/2017 at 5:19 AM, aviolentworld said:

Machete order: IV, V, II, III, VI leave out ep1 entirely.

On 12/27/2017 at 3:55 PM, DecayToDeath said:

I don't want her to be a Kenobi, I hope she stays nothing. That's the best route.

Agreed.

So I just saw this, and I'm going full spoiler mode on this jammer because fuck it, you come into a Star Wars thread thinking you're not gonna get spoilers, you're not thinking.

Ok, overall I give this puppy a 7/10. Could easily have been an 8 or 9. So much of the humor seemed incredibly out of place and took me out of the mood of the movie. The slapstick garbage when Finn woke up might have been the worst offender, but all the one-liners in the first half hour didn't help.

Let's talk about the Empire Strikes Back throwback here. The pit, the fog, c'mon. There are other ways that scene could have been done. I didn't hate it, but I was like, "Oh, ok, so we're watching Empire now." And of course we got the reveal of Rey's parents at the end because Empire.

Phasma was wasted again, Finn could be so much better than he is, Poe should be dead long ago.

I wish Laura Dern's character (Vice-Admiral Holdo) had stuck around for Ep IX. She would have been a great Leia replacement, though her sacrifice was one of the best parts of the movie.

BB-8 saved the day like...what, three times? Fuck that garbage, once per movie is plenty.

Now to the things I did like. I've heard a lot of complaints about how Luke's arc was carried out and how he was portrayed. I thought he was exactly where he should be, dude's broken. He almost murdered his nephew, and then turned him into a Sith lord. That said, one of my least favorite scenes was Rey handing him his lightsaber and then him nonchalantly flipping it over his shoulder. He's turned his back on the Jedi order and cut himself off from the force...she should have turned around and flung that thing. That bothered me.

The Porg didn't bother me as much as I thought they would judging from the trailer. I thought Chewie being won over by their cuteness was alright.

Benicio del Toro's character was actually awesome. The stutter threw me for a minute, but he was great.

I felt so dumb for not knowing Luke wasn't really there at the end. First time he lit up the lightsaber I thought, "how does he have that, didn't that one get destroyed in the last act?" Yup.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

Watched again a few days ago... sadly, this might be my least favorite of all the films (yes, I know Phantom Menace exists). Visually it's a great movie, but there are a lot of mishaps, and things I just plain didn't like or wish they did differently. #notmyLukeSkywalker

Wish I had something to look forward to but even the new "Solo" movie has been a concern for me since before production.

Mickey-Mouse-Darth-Vader.jpg

On 1/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, aviolentworld said:

What's the knock on Phantom Menace?  I know it doesn't really do anything to the whole Star Wars story, but it doesn't seem like it's a horrible movie.  Just wondering if we are putting it up against the other Lucas films, or is it really just that bad and I'm missing something.

If you were responding to me... I actually like Phantom Menace! It just seems it gets a lot of flak for being the "worst" Star Wars film, with Jar Jar, the Trade Federation, Anakin being a whiny kid, etc. (Also notice how everyone is talking about the Machete Order currently which leaves it out, that's gotta say something, hahaha.) And I guess I'm personally comparing all the films together (as of now).

Edited by No This Is Patrick
me grammerz is not good

On 1/1/2018 at 9:02 PM, aviolentworld said:

What's the knock on Phantom Menace?  I know it doesn't really do anything to the whole Star Wars story, but it doesn't seem like it's a horrible movie.  Just wondering if we are putting it up against the other Lucas films, or is it really just that bad and I'm missing something.

It’s the most hated film for sure. It’s not my least favorite, I actually dislike Attack of the Clones more.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally watched it, totally loved it.  My only concern is how do they continue leia in the final movie?  I hope they don't fuck it up like they did with Superman and CGI the shit out of her face.  

We're the Jedi books hidden in the falcon and not actually burned?  Did Rey pull one over Luke?

On 4/1/2018 at 6:58 AM, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Finally watched it, totally loved it.  My only concern is how do they continue leia in the final movie?  I hope they don't fuck it up like they did with Superman and CGI the shit out of her face.  

We're the Jedi books hidden in the falcon and not actually burned?  Did Rey pull one over Luke?

Rey took the books! Yoda hints at that when he tells Luke the tree contains nothing that Rey doesn’t already possess. Very clever. 

• 1 month later...

Just came out of 'solo', really enjoyed this even though i wasn't hyped at all! Looking forward to seing it again next week.

SPOILER:

Spoiler

I couldn't believe they introduced Darth Maul back into the live action film universe, really thought they'd leave him in the animated shows only, so interested where they will take this!

Edited by Vega

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

SOLO was great fun to watch. It felt more light-hearted and not so intensely serious as the last few SW. I enjoyed that. Where in the timeline would it be said that it takes place?

Spoiler

The main film (without the prologue) is set about 10 years before the events of a new hope according to http://starwars.wikia.com