Cartridge advice for Denon DP-300f

I recently replaced my TT with a Denon DP-300f. I'm currently using an old Shure RXT6 which I got from my old man, however I suspect that it's life is coming to an end (often gets quite a bit of distortion etc). Plus I'd like to use the opportunity to upgrade whilst I'm at it.

Can anyone recommend a decent replacement cart for this TT? I understand that it's not a high-end player so there's no point in going crazy. By default my first thought was an Ortofon Red, although I've also had someone suggest upgrading the cart with a N97xVL ViVid Line.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I recently replaced my TT with a Denon DP-300f. I'm currently using an old Shure RXT6 which I got from my old man, however I suspect that it's life is coming to an end (often gets quite a bit of distortion etc). Plus I'd like to use the opportunity to upgrade whilst I'm at it.

Can anyone recommend a decent replacement cart for this TT? I understand that it's not a high-end player so there's no point in going crazy. By default my first thought was an Ortofon Red, although I've also had someone suggest upgrading the cart with a N97xVL ViVid Line.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I have the same table, went from a 2m red to denon dl110. I recommend the Denon over the ortofon.

I have the same table, went from a 2m red to denon dl110. I recommend the Denon over the ortofon.

Just did this yesterday. Thought about the Ortofon Red and Blue to replace my Goldring Elektra cart, went with the DL110. Glad to hear there's some happiness with the Denon. Looking forward to hearing it when it lands.

Thanks for the help guys. 

To me the DL-110 sounds like it could be the way to go, however i'm worried about the MC vs MM thing. Is that something i need to be concerned with? I'm using the built in TT pre-amp and a reasonably low powered amp. Any advice there?
The other cart i've read some OK things about is the Nagaoka MP-110. I'm happy to spend the extra on the DL-110, but i just wanna make sure i make the right choice here.

This is from Jerry Raskin's Needledoctor site (advertising blurb):

To get the maximum enjoyment out of your vinyl collection, check out the DL-110 phono cartridge. Its high output allows you to use it interchangeably with a moving magnet phono input. The DL-110 has a way of getting into the grooves and extracting the information contained therein with total authority.

So, I guess that indicates that this cart is fine with your MM input? I do hope so, because the Goldring Elektra cart this DL110 is replacing on my setup is a MM....

I had read somewhere else that someone did pretty much exactly the same exchange with their Rega Planar cart.

EDIT: I've actually just fired off an email to Needledoctor to see what sorta clarity they can provide. My receivers manual says that I need a MC head amp or transformer to use this needle.

REVIEWS:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DL-110-Cartridge

EDIT x 2: The reply I got from Brian at Needle Doctor:

Hi, Justin.  The DL110 is a high output moving coil, so it doesn't require a step up device.  It's meant to be plugged directly into a phono input like the one you've got.  It's output is still a bit lower than most cartridges, so your master volume may have to be turned up higher than usual, but it would sound great.  Be in touch if you have more questions.

So, all good eh. Coupled with allenh's sound advice below, think its a goer.

Yes a high output MC should work with an MM input although you might need to turn the volume up a little higher than with the MM as some high output MC's are still a little light on output.

MM output is generally 5mv and MC's come in 3 general levels which are low (normal) medium and high output where low is generally 0.4mv, medium is generally 1mv and high is generally 3mv.

Obviously these are very general values that vary by manufacturer but you get the idea.

The Denon has an output of 1.6mv which is low for a high output but still usable. 

The best idea is go and have a look on the vinyl engine database when looking at different carts as it gives you all the data you need to know.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but thought it best to keep all the context above, let me know if I should repost as a new thread!

Do folks think it's still worth the ~$300 for the DL-110? Are there any newer carts worth considering?  In researching the AT440 I saw there is now a new version, AT440MLB which is $200 new on Amazon vs. $250 for the DL-110 on ebay.

Someone on another forum also suggested my best ROI would be to upgrade the built in pre-amp first. Was hoping to keep my total spend under $300 after already dropping so much on the table (wondering if I should have just gotten a Rega after all). Any suggestions? Better to leave it and spend more on cart? Or get both?

I was very disappointed with the DP 300f sound out of the box, for me the whole point of Vinyl was to unlock new perspectives and dimensions in the music. If anything it feels constrained/compressed/veiled which makes me not want to use the TT much. I listen mostly to very dense METAL, so staying away from the midrangey carts like Grado.