Looking for good Hip Hop/R&B music

dapeebs

But seriously, the only hip-hop show I've been to was Kendrick when he was nobody. Maybe 40 people there. I got real into underground nobodies a few years back. There is some top quality shit out there, I know nothing about it now. 

I imagine Kendrick is some super star sell out by now? Yeah?

hes pretty big, had his 2nd SNL appearance this week

Noticed no one really mentioned R&B, which is my wheelhouse.

Can't go wrong with:

Eric Benet (Hurricane and A Day in the Life albums)

Jagged Edge

D'angelo

Brandy (Full Moon album)

JoJo (Agape mixtape)

Bridget Kelly

Day26

Dawn Richard

Mario

Chris Brown (especially his last two albums)

Ne-Yo

Ruben Studdard

Tank (Sex Love and Pain/ Now and Never albums are good for setting the mood)

Trey Songz (Ready album)

Usher (any album except his first)

Beyonce ( I prefer the B'Day album over anything else)

Danity Kane (Borderline pop)

Jhene Aiko (Sail Out EP is fantastic!)

Sevyn Streeter

I have more if you're interested.

Can't go wrong with:

Jagged Edge

D'angelo

Brandy (Full Moon album)

JoJo (Agape mixtape)

Bridget Kelly

Day26

Dawn Richard

Mario

Ne-Yo

Ruben Studdard

Trey Songz (Ready album)

Sevyn Streeter

I was waiting for you! I know R&B is your thing.

Can't go wrong with:

Jagged Edge

D'angelo

Brandy (Full Moon album)

JoJo (Agape mixtape)

Bridget Kelly

Day26

Dawn Richard

Mario

Ne-Yo

Ruben Studdard

Trey Songz (Ready album)

Sevyn Streeter

repping Philly but left Musiq soulchild off this list, tsk tsk tsk

Miguel

The Weeknd

Frank Ocean

The Dream

floetry, Marsha Ambrosius

Dwele

Bilal

Solange

Jill Scott

Gang Starr

Cant really comment on modern R&B.  more know the old school soul stuff.  

Hip Hop wise I am really not a fan of the mainstream stuff and more into the indie stuff.

Things that have been reccommended and a few that have not:

Sage Francis

Atmosphere

El-P

Blackalicious

Mos Def/ Talib Kweli/ Black Star

Dilated Peoples

Dj Shadow

RJD2

Deltron 3030

Handsome Boy Modeling School

Lovage

Brother Ali

MF Doom

Living Legends

Murs 

Cannibal OX

Aesop Rock

J Dilla

Eyedea

Mr. Lif

Felt

I am sure I will remember more and add later.

So I figured I'd go through my iTunes catalog and start listing everything in the realm of hip hop that stands out to me.  Essentials in bold.  (I've only made stuff in bold as I've come across it in the library... I may mention an artist in a description that is not bold and I'll highlight as I get to it alphabetically in the library)

I'll leave the R&B to more educated peeps.

I've always liked hip-hop, but when I started going to college at Michigan State in 2000 I started getting exposed to a lot more and had the good fortune of seeing a lot of good shows in Grand Rapids/Lansing/Detroit.

It always fascinated me the way that you have all of these MCs, DJs and producers and they all come together for tracks or albums and get featured in others songs in one form or another like a superhero team in comic books.

I spent way too much time so far and gave up when I got through the letter D, so I'll do more chunks later.

The internet at the hotel I'm in is shit so I didn't bother with youtube links... maybe later?

Aceyalone - Hit and miss, but pretty good.  A part of Project Blowed and he works with RJD2.  The Mad Men theme song is an instrumental version of one of their tunes: A Beautiful Mind.
Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth is pretty good shit as well as most of his other stuff... seems to be somehow getting better over time and he's always been a great mc.
Anti-Pop Consortium - Pretty abstract stuff, but decent.
Asamov - "And Now..." is highly recommended!  These guys gon't get enough attention in my opinion.  Great old school feel and these guys all emcee, mix, scratch and produce.
Asheru and Blue Black - "Soon Come" is another great relatively underrated album.  Great tunes and well worth checking out.
Astronautalis - The Thom Waits of hip-hop?  He's pretty good.
Atmosphere - Not my favorite, but most folks dig it and I definitely like some of it.  I prefer the live with band variant.
Avalanches - "Since I Left You"  Is it hip-hop?  Not in every sense, but it is a bunch of DJs and is one of the best turntable based albums I've ever heard.
Baby Elephant - "Turn My Teeth Up"  Cool little project from Prince Paul and Bernie Worrell of Parliament/Claypool and has David Byrne, Reggie Watts and others.  Pretty fun.
Beastie Boys - "Paul's Boutique", "Check Your Head", "Ill Communication" and "Hello Nasty" are all classics of varying degrees.  They're so much more than hip-hop and it may be unnecessary to list them since they're kind of one of the most creative forces in music history.  What genre could they not do justice to?
The Beatnuts - Good old school shit.
Big L - His flow is possibly the best of all time... possibly.  I hold him in much higher regard than Tupac or Biggie, but was similarly cut down early.  Make sure you check him out.  A part of DITC (Digging in the Crates)
Binary Star - "Masters of the Universe"  Repping Pontiac, MI!!  Such a great duo that I used to get to see in the Detroit area back in the day.  Definitely recommended classic shit.  Subterraneous!!
Black Star - "Black Star"  One of the greatest hip-hop albums.  Talib Kweli and Mos Def's amazing collaboration.
Blackalicious - "Blazing Arrow"  One of my favorite albums of the 00's hip hop era.  Gift of Gab's rediculous flow and Chief Xcel's production is good stuff.
Blockhead - Cool instrumental hip hop.  He did a lot of Aesop Rock's earlier beats.
The Bloodhound Gang - Laugh... I don't blame you.  Now go listen to Use Your Fingers and try to not laugh, bob your head or draw parallels to Licensed to Ill era Beastie Boys.  Fuck you, I love it and I'll always recommend it.  Hell, give One Fierce Beer Coaster a full spin after that and accept that you like at least three "hip-hop" songs on it and immediately stop investigating their catalog... warning, do not proceed further!!!
Blu & Exile - "Below the Heavens"  Really good stuff here.  Check it out for sure!!  Plenty of other good stuff by them as well.
Blue Sky Black Death - Instrumental production team.  They pull in emcees from time to time.  They do a great remix of Jean Grae's Jeanius called "Evil Jeanius".
Blueprint & RJD2 - Good stuff.
Brand Nubian - Puba and Sadat X.  Deftinitely stuff you should check out.
Bullfrog - S/T Kid Koala with a funk band and the emcee Blu Rum 13.  One of my absolute favorite albums ever.  Not strictly hip-hop, but everyone should hear it.  I'm too serious about music to like fun stuff... this is so fucking fun, though!!
Busdriver - He's pretty hit or miss and has gone straight up pop recently, but I recommend "Cosmic Cleavage", "Fear of a Black Tangent" and "Temporary Forever"
Busdriver, Radioinactive and Daedelus - "The Weather"  Radioinactive runis it for me, but despite it's imperfections, I think you should check it out.  Busdriver shines and Deadeuls shows his production chops.
Cannibal Ox - "The Cold Vein"  Vast Aire's rhymes are uniquely poetic and Vordul Mega's raps are a great compliment.  Might contain El-P's best beats ever.  This is in my alltime top whatever list.  Definitely look into this one.  It's on another level musically.  Soo moody and unique.
Captain Murphy - Flying Lotus project that is pretty neat lo-fi stuff.
Charizma and Peanutbutter Wolf - Pretty good stuff
City Slickers - One of the more promising newer hip hop broups I've heard in a long time.  Look for their ADIDAS mixtape online... you should be able to download it for free.  It's real good shit.
cLOUDDEAD - Pretty abstract craziness of the combination of Yoni from Why?, Doseone and Odd Nosdam.  Listen to the Boards of Canada remix of their song "Dead Dogs Two"   Holy shit.
Company Flow - "Funcrusher Plus"  El-P, Mr. Len and Big Jus... nuff said.  I've got more presence/presents than a class of schizophrenics. Here here.
Cool Breeze - Part of the Dungeon Family with Outkast and the Goodie Mobb.  Watch For the Hook is one of the best singles I ever heard.
C-Rayz Walz - I feel like his goal is to make himself laugh at his own clever rhymes.  I dig him.
Cunninlynguists
Cut Chemist - DJ from Jurassic 5.  Lots of good DJ work out there.
DITC
Daedelus - Unique production.  For a mind blower, check out the Rustie Remix of Daedelus and MF Doom's Impending Doom.
Dalek - Very dark hip-hop group I saw open for Tomahawk and the Melvins.  Good stuff here.
Dan the Automator - Hugely influential producer... I can't even begin.  Responsible for nurturing some serious careers.  DJ Shadow used his equipment to make Endtroducing, he started GOrillaz, Handsome Boy Modeling School, HEad Automatica with Daryl from Glassjaw.
Dangerdoom - Danger Mouse and MF Doom.  The Mouse and the Mask is just awesome and fun.  Full of Adult Swim sound bytes and it's a ot of fun.
Danger Mouse & Jemini - Nice collaboration with a lot of good tunes.
Das EFX
Das Racist - Too clever for their own good?  Super stoned out rap.
De La Soul - Foundational hip hop.  Positive!
Deep Puddle Dynamics - Interesting album from Sole, Doseone, Alias and Slug... Kind of like poetry set to music.
Del the Funky Homosapien - From the Hieroglyphics crew.  One of my favorite emcees ever.  He handles rap duties in Deltron 3030 and his albums I wish My Brotehr George was Here and No Need for Alarm are two of the best "independent" hip hop albums ever.  The latter being very Parliament tinged funky and the latter being a jazzy smoke session soundtrack.  He did a song with Dinosaur Jr., for chrissake!!
Deltron 3030 - ST.  Pretty much a concept album with Kid Koala and Dan the Automator featuring basically everybody about how shitty the future is but how we're all gonna fuck up the system using harmless terrorism and rise to power in rap battles.  So awesome... There's a reason everyone who's heard it is recommending it.
Dessa - From Doomtree collective.  She writes some pretty amazing stuff and to see her live is to be humbled.  She's not a top notch rapper, but she puts a lot of heart into everything she does and is just a beautiful person... I'm gushing, I know.
Digable Planets - Blow Out Comb... super jazzy hip hop.
Dilated Peoples - This is some seriously good shit and maybe one of the best hip-hop groups that is as much about the rhyming as they are about the DJ work.  Babu is a top notch turntablist (he coined that one) along with emcees Evidence and Rakaa Iriscience
DJ Krush - Japanese DJ who makes some seriously spiritula zen-like atmospheric instrumental tunes.
DJ Premier - From Gangstarr.  Seriously good production and has had a ton of commercial success, too.
DJ Qbert - From Invisibl Skratch Pikilz.  This guys is the most technically capable dj there is... I've seen him a couple times and my jaw was on the floor.  He makes it look so easy it is frustrating.  Genuinely shows that the turntable can be used as an instrument to make music.
DJ Shadow - Endtroducting may be the greatest album ever... or greatest work of art ever... I don't know.  It's one of those albums you listen to any time ever.  Drug trip: check.  Relaxing: Check.  At work: Check.  Seriously fits any mood anytime some how.  You must listen to this.
DJ Spooky - He has a lot of great stuff and has some cool Jazzy and Reggae leanings from time to time.
DJ Z-Trip - I have a love hate thing for this dude.  The first couple times I saw him he would not shut the fuck up about how crazy he was for liking rap and rock and mashing it up... whatever.  But I've heard some reaclly cool stuff from too.
Doom - aka MF Doom.  Great stuff
Doomtree - Dessa, POS, Cecil Otter, Mictlan, Lazerbeak, SIMS.  Really great hip-hop collective from Minneapolis.
Doseone - I hated this guys voice at first.  He is now one of my favorite emcees.  He's a part of Themselves with Jel, cLOUDDEAD and is featured in a ton of other works.  His band Subtle with Jel is one of the coolest things acts I have ever heard... more on these later.
Dr. Dre - The Chronic is timeless.  I think it's essential.
Dr. Octagon - Oh yeah, Dan the Automator!! and DJ Qbert and fucking Kool Keith.  Keith is good, but this is his best shit IMO.  It's a fucking crazy trip, but you should check it out.

More to come.
I look forward to checking out some of this stuff everyone else is recommending that I'm unfamiliar with.

So I figured I'd go through my iTunes catalog and start listing everything in the realm of hip hop that stands out to me. Essentials in bold. (I've only made stuff in bold as I've come across it in the library... I may mention an artist in a description that is not bold and I'll highlight as I get to it alphabetically in the library)

I'll leave the R&B to more educated peeps.

I've always liked hip-hop, but when I started going to college at Michigan State in 2000 I started getting exposed to a lot more and had the good fortune of seeing a lot of good shows in Grand Rapids/Lansing/Detroit.

It always fascinated me the way that you have all of these MCs, DJs and producers and they all come together for tracks or albums and get featured in others songs in one form or another like a superhero team in comic books.

I spent way too much time so far and gave up when I got through the letter D, so I'll do more chunks later.

The internet at the hotel I'm in is shit so I didn't bother with youtube links... maybe later?

Aceyalone - Hit and miss, but pretty good. A part of Project Blowed and he works with RJD2. The Mad Men theme song is an instrumental version of one of their tunes: A Beautiful Mind.

Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth is pretty good shit as well as most of his other stuff... seems to be somehow getting better over time and he's always been a great mc.

Anti-Pop Consortium - Pretty abstract stuff, but decent.

Asamov - "And Now..." is highly recommended! These guys gon't get enough attention in my opinion. Great old school feel and these guys all emcee, mix, scratch and produce.

Asheru and Blue Black - "Soon Come" is another great relatively underrated album. Great tunes and well worth checking out.

Astronautalis - The Thom Waits of hip-hop? He's pretty good.

Atmosphere - Not my favorite, but most folks dig it and I definitely like some of it. I prefer the live with band variant.

Avalanches - "Since I Left You" Is it hip-hop? Not in every sense, but it is a bunch of DJs and is one of the best turntable based albums I've ever heard.

Baby Elephant - "Turn My Teeth Up" Cool little project from Prince Paul and Bernie Worrell of Parliament/Claypool and has David Byrne, Reggie Watts and others. Pretty fun.

Beastie Boys - "Paul's Boutique", "Check Your Head", "Ill Communication" and "Hello Nasty" are all classics of varying degrees. They're so much more than hip-hop and it may be unnecessary to list them since they're kind of one of the most creative forces in music history. What genre could they not do justice to?

The Beatnuts - Good old school shit.

Big L - His flow is possibly the best of all time... possibly. I hold him in much higher regard than Tupac or Biggie, but was similarly cut down early. Make sure you check him out. A part of DITC (Digging in the Crates)

Binary Star - "Masters of the Universe" Repping Pontiac, MI!! Such a great duo that I used to get to see in the Detroit area back in the day. Definitely recommended classic shit. Subterraneous!!

Black Star - "Black Star" One of the greatest hip-hop albums. Talib Kweli and Mos Def's amazing collaboration.

Blackalicious - "Blazing Arrow" One of my favorite albums of the 00's hip hop era. Gift of Gab's rediculous flow and Chief Xcel's production is good stuff.

Blockhead - Cool instrumental hip hop. He did a lot of Aesop Rock's earlier beats.

The Bloodhound Gang - Laugh... I don't blame you. Now go listen to Use Your Fingers and try to not laugh, bob your head or draw parallels to Licensed to Ill era Beastie Boys. Fuck you, I love it and I'll always recommend it. Hell, give One Fierce Beer Coaster a full spin after that and accept that you like at least three "hip-hop" songs on it and immediately stop investigating their catalog... warning, do not proceed further!!!

Blu & Exile - "Below the Heavens" Really good stuff here. Check it out for sure!! Plenty of other good stuff by them as well.

Blue Sky Black Death - Instrumental production team. They pull in emcees from time to time. They do a great remix of Jean Grae's Jeanius called "Evil Jeanius".

Blueprint & RJD2 - Good stuff.

Brand Nubian - Puba and Sadat X. Deftinitely stuff you should check out.

Bullfrog - S/T Kid Koala with a funk band and the emcee Blu Rum 13. One of my absolute favorite albums ever. Not strictly hip-hop, but everyone should hear it. I'm too serious about music to like fun stuff... this is so fucking fun, though!!

Busdriver - He's pretty hit or miss and has gone straight up pop recently, but I recommend "Cosmic Cleavage", "Fear of a Black Tangent" and "Temporary Forever"

Busdriver, Radioinactive and Daedelus - "The Weather" Radioinactive runis it for me, but despite it's imperfections, I think you should check it out. Busdriver shines and Deadeuls shows his production chops.

Cannibal Ox - "The Cold Vein" Vast Aire's rhymes are uniquely poetic and Vordul Mega's raps are a great compliment. Might contain El-P's best beats ever. This is in my alltime top whatever list. Definitely look into this one. It's on another level musically. Soo moody and unique.

Captain Murphy - Flying Lotus project that is pretty neat lo-fi stuff.

Charizma and Peanutbutter Wolf - Pretty good stuff

City Slickers - One of the more promising newer hip hop broups I've heard in a long time. Look for their ADIDAS mixtape online... you should be able to download it for free. It's real good shit.

cLOUDDEAD - Pretty abstract craziness of the combination of Yoni from Why?, Doseone and Odd Nosdam. Listen to the Boards of Canada remix of their song "Dead Dogs Two" Holy shit.

Company Flow - "Funcrusher Plus" El-P, Mr. Len and Big Jus... nuff said. I've got more presence/presents than a class of schizophrenics. Here here.

Cool Breeze - Part of the Dungeon Family with Outkast and the Goodie Mobb. Watch For the Hook is one of the best singles I ever heard.

C-Rayz Walz - I feel like his goal is to make himself laugh at his own clever rhymes. I dig him.

Cunninlynguists

Cut Chemist - DJ from Jurassic 5. Lots of good DJ work out there.

DITC

Daedelus - Unique production. For a mind blower, check out the Rustie Remix of Daedelus and MF Doom's Impending Doom.

Dalek - Very dark hip-hop group I saw open for Tomahawk and the Melvins. Good stuff here.

Dan the Automator - Hugely influential producer... I can't even begin. Responsible for nurturing some serious careers. DJ Shadow used his equipment to make Endtroducing, he started GOrillaz, Handsome Boy Modeling School, HEad Automatica with Daryl from Glassjaw.

Dangerdoom - Danger Mouse and MF Doom. The Mouse and the Mask is just awesome and fun. Full of Adult Swim sound bytes and it's a ot of fun.

Danger Mouse & Jemini - Nice collaboration with a lot of good tunes.

Das EFX

Das Racist - Too clever for their own good? Super stoned out rap.

De La Soul - Foundational hip hop. Positive!

Deep Puddle Dynamics - Interesting album from Sole, Doseone, Alias and Slug... Kind of like poetry set to music.

Del the Funky Homosapien - From the Hieroglyphics crew. One of my favorite emcees ever. He handles rap duties in Deltron 3030 and his albums I wish My Brotehr George was Here and No Need for Alarm are two of the best "independent" hip hop albums ever. The latter being very Parliament tinged funky and the latter being a jazzy smoke session soundtrack. He did a song with Dinosaur Jr., for chrissake!!

Deltron 3030 - ST. Pretty much a concept album with Kid Koala and Dan the Automator featuring basically everybody about how shitty the future is but how we're all gonna fuck up the system using harmless terrorism and rise to power in rap battles. So awesome... There's a reason everyone who's heard it is recommending it.

Dessa - From Doomtree collective. She writes some pretty amazing stuff and to see her live is to be humbled. She's not a top notch rapper, but she puts a lot of heart into everything she does and is just a beautiful person... I'm gushing, I know.

Digable Planets - Blow Out Comb... super jazzy hip hop.

Dilated Peoples - This is some seriously good shit and maybe one of the best hip-hop groups that is as much about the rhyming as they are about the DJ work. Babu is a top notch turntablist (he coined that one) along with emcees Evidence and Rakaa Iriscience

DJ Krush - Japanese DJ who makes some seriously spiritula zen-like atmospheric instrumental tunes.

DJ Premier - From Gangstarr. Seriously good production and has had a ton of commercial success, too.

DJ Qbert - From Invisibl Skratch Pikilz. This guys is the most technically capable dj there is... I've seen him a couple times and my jaw was on the floor. He makes it look so easy it is frustrating. Genuinely shows that the turntable can be used as an instrument to make music.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducting may be the greatest album ever... or greatest work of art ever... I don't know. It's one of those albums you listen to any time ever. Drug trip: check. Relaxing: Check. At work: Check. Seriously fits any mood anytime some how. You must listen to this.

DJ Spooky - He has a lot of great stuff and has some cool Jazzy and Reggae leanings from time to time.

DJ Z-Trip - I have a love hate thing for this dude. The first couple times I saw him he would not shut the fuck up about how crazy he was for liking rap and rock and mashing it up... whatever. But I've heard some reaclly cool stuff from too.

Doom - aka MF Doom. Great stuff

Doomtree - Dessa, POS, Cecil Otter, Mictlan, Lazerbeak, SIMS. Really great hip-hop collective from Minneapolis.

Doseone - I hated this guys voice at first. He is now one of my favorite emcees. He's a part of Themselves with Jel, cLOUDDEAD and is featured in a ton of other works. His band Subtle with Jel is one of the coolest things acts I have ever heard... more on these later.

Dr. Dre - The Chronic is timeless. I think it's essential.

Dr. Octagon - Oh yeah, Dan the Automator!! and DJ Qbert and fucking Kool Keith. Keith is good, but this is his best shit IMO. It's a fucking crazy trip, but you should check it out.

More to come.

I look forward to checking out some of this stuff everyone else is recommending that I'm unfamiliar with.

Being from MI, Esham and HoK better be mentioned. Major respect for Doc Oct being there

I'm surprised Immortal Technique hasn't been brought up from anyone. The man is a goddamn genius. It's very VERY political and fun as well. Dudes rhymes are fucking solid, the beats are gnarly as fuck.

This is by far my favorite album by him.

and these are my highlights from said album.

Being from MI, Esham and HoK better be mentioned. Major respect for Doc Oct being there

I've never really been into that whole Horrorcore scene so House of Krazees, Twiztid, Esham, ICP... all that stuff doesn't do much for me.

My friend growing up's mom got re-married and his new step sister used to "date" (her word, but I'm sure he'd use a different verb) Violent Jay from ICP.

A lot of guys in my social circles were waaaaaaaay into that, but I didn't really get on board.

I was able to trade an ICP Riddle Box comic book to this guy back home in Muskegon for the first system for my car... it must have been from 95 or 96.

Here's my recommendations from E-H.

Essentials in bold.

Edan - He does it all; emcee, dj and produce and he has some really cool tunes.  A couple of collaborations with Mr. Lif, too.
El-P - Fantastic Damage is such a good album it's ridiculous...
Elzhi - From Detroit, he was in Slum Village with Jay Dilla and does a cool take on Illmatic called eLmatic
Eric B and Rakim - Super old school shit.  You've heard their rhymes referenced and samples hundreds of times and it still sounds pretty fresh to this day.
Flying Lotus - I'm digging his new album a lot.  Very fusion jazzy and a few songs with rapping.  Good stuff.
Foreign Exchange - Phonte from Little Brother and Nicolay, a french dj, exchanged files across the internet for awhile and eventually did this project.  Most of the included artists (Darien Brockington and Yahzarah) are also from the triangle in NC... super soulful good stuff.
Gang Starr - Seriously amazing stuff here... they dropper four straight practically flawless albums (Step In the Arena thru Moment of Truth) and are one of the best emcee dj duos ever.
Gaslamp Killer - Really cool dj/production stuff... I really dig it!
General Patton & the X-ecutioners - three DJs (X-Ecutioners) with Mike Patton... it's fucking awesome.
Ghostface Killah - My favorite of the Wu-tang members.  Check out Ironman and Supreme Clientelle for sure.
Giant Panda - "Fly School Reunion"  Good shit here.  Old school good vibes feel and plenty of participation from People Under the Stairs, plus it has some Chinese rapping.  Neat!
Gift of Gab - lyricist from Blackalicious.  Solo stuff is pretty good.
Gnarls Barkley - St Elsewhere is a little rappy and despite the overhyped singles, there are some serious jams.  Transformer, Go-Go Gadget Gospel.
Go! Team - Good jammy hip-hop dancy tunes and it's like good jock jams for the present.  I hear it in ads and on ESPN all the time nowadays.
Goodie Mobb - Cee-Lo, Big Gipp, T-Mo, Khujo Goodie... part of the Dungeon Family.  Soul Food is a classic.
Gorillaz - I'm sure you've heard it because it had pretty mass appeal... I prefer the first album with Del and Dan the Automator, but the later albums have MF Doom, De La Soul and others
Grand Buffet - These two guys are awesome and I highly recommend this.  Not merely joke rap, but they are clever and funny as hell.  I really recommend them to anyone.  If you're not offended by a little sacrilege, check out the tarck "Nate Kuklas History of Lemonade"
Grayskul - Their album Deadlivers is pretty good stuff.
Guilty Simpson - grimy fucking emcee out of Detroit on Stones Throw.  Plenty of work with Madlib and this dude is bad ass.  Check out the OJ Simpson album and the first Madlib Medicine show albums.
Guru - The emcee from Gang Starr.  His Jazzmatazz albums are dope as hell.  RIP
GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords is probably the best solo Wu-tang album and should be checked out for sure.
Haiku D'etat - Sometimes a little showy in their vocal acumen, but cool stuff.  Aceyalone, Mika 9 and Abstract Rude.
Hail Mary Mallon - Aespo Rock, Rob Sonic and DJ Big Wiz... good times
Handsome Boy Modeling School - (Dan the Automator and Prince Paul) Wow... super group city crossing so many genres.  The first album is definitely better (featuring (inhales) Del the Funky Homo Sapien, Miho from Cibo Matto, Mide D from the Beasties, Brand Nubian, J-Live, Roisin Murphy from Moloko, DJ Shadow, Biz Markie, Money Mark, Sean Lennon, Kid Koala, Alec Empire, El-P) and the second album has appearances from De La Soul, Mike Patton, Del, Alex Kapranos from Franz Ferdinand, Jack Johnson, Kid Koala, Casual, Cat Power, Mike and chester from Linkin Park, Qbert, Lord Finesse, Rahzel, Chino from Deftones, El-P, Cage, Pharrell Williams, Dres from Black Sheep, Mars Volta, RZA, John Oates)
Hangar 18 - Fun drunken party hip hop on Def Jux.
Headnodic - Good instrumental hip hop producer
Heiruspecs - Hip-hop band from St. Paul.  Not essential, but good.
Heliocentrics - cool instrumental hip hop
Herbaliser - Super smooth funky hip hop that is mostly instrumental, but features emcees occasionally.
Hieroglyphics - Massive Oakland crew with Del, Casual, Domino, Pep Love, A-Plus, Opio, Tajai, Phesto and DJ Toure (half the group comprise Souls of Mischief)  3rd Eye Vision is an absolute classic.
Home Brew - New Zealand hip hop... pretty damned good and jazzy

Here's my recommendations from E-H.

Essentials in bold.

Edan - He does it all; emcee, dj and produce and he has some really cool tunes.  A couple of collaborations with Mr. Lif, too.

El-P - Fantastic Damage is such a good album it's ridiculous...

Elzhi - From Detroit, he was in Slum Village with Jay Dilla and does a cool take on Illmatic called eLmatic

Eric B and Rakim - Super old school shit.  You've heard their rhymes referenced and samples hundreds of times and it still sounds pretty fresh to this day.

Flying Lotus - I'm digging his new album a lot.  Very fusion jazzy and a few songs with rapping.  Good stuff.

Foreign Exchange - Phonte from Little Brother and Nicolay, a french dj, exchanged files across the internet for awhile and eventually did this project.  Most of the included artists (Darien Brockington and Yahzarah) are also from the triangle in NC... super soulful good stuff.

Gang Starr - Seriously amazing stuff here... they dropper four straight practically flawless albums (Step In the Arena thru Moment of Truth) and are one of the best emcee dj duos ever.

Gaslamp Killer - Really cool dj/production stuff... I really dig it!

General Patton & the X-ecutioners - three DJs (X-Ecutioners) with Mike Patton... it's fucking awesome.

Ghostface Killah - My favorite of the Wu-tang members.  Check out Ironman and Supreme Clientelle for sure.

Giant Panda - "Fly School Reunion"  Good shit here.  Old school good vibes feel and plenty of participation from People Under the Stairs, plus it has some Chinese rapping.  Neat!

Gift of Gab - lyricist from Blackalicious.  Solo stuff is pretty good.

Gnarls Barkley - St Elsewhere is a little rappy and despite the overhyped singles, there are some serious jams.  Transformer, Go-Go Gadget Gospel.

Go! Team - Good jammy hip-hop dancy tunes and it's like good jock jams for the present.  I hear it in ads and on ESPN all the time nowadays.

Goodie Mobb - Cee-Lo, Big Gipp, T-Mo, Khujo Goodie... part of the Dungeon Family.  Soul Food is a classic.

Gorillaz - I'm sure you've heard it because it had pretty mass appeal... I prefer the first album with Del and Dan the Automator, but the later albums have MF Doom, De La Soul and others

Grand Buffet - These two guys are awesome and I highly recommend this.  Not merely joke rap, but they are clever and funny as hell.  I really recommend them to anyone.  If you're not offended by a little sacrilege, check out the tarck "Nate Kuklas History of Lemonade"

Grayskul - Their album Deadlivers is pretty good stuff.

Guilty Simpson - grimy fucking emcee out of Detroit on Stones Throw.  Plenty of work with Madlib and this dude is bad ass.  Check out the OJ Simpson album and the first Madlib Medicine show albums.

Guru - The emcee from Gang Starr.  His Jazzmatazz albums are dope as hell.  RIP

GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords is probably the best solo Wu-tang album and should be checked out for sure.

Haiku D'etat - Sometimes a little showy in their vocal acumen, but cool stuff.  Aceyalone, Mika 9 and Abstract Rude.

Hail Mary Mallon - Aespo Rock, Rob Sonic and DJ Big Wiz... good times

Handsome Boy Modeling School - (Dan the Automator and Prince Paul) Wow... super group city crossing so many genres.  The first album is definitely better (featuring (inhales) Del the Funky Homo Sapien, Miho from Cibo Matto, Mide D from the Beasties, Brand Nubian, J-Live, Roisin Murphy from Moloko, DJ Shadow, Biz Markie, Money Mark, Sean Lennon, Kid Koala, Alec Empire, El-P) and the second album has appearances from De La Soul, Mike Patton, Del, Alex Kapranos from Franz Ferdinand, Jack Johnson, Kid Koala, Casual, Cat Power, Mike and chester from Linkin Park, Qbert, Lord Finesse, Rahzel, Chino from Deftones, El-P, Cage, Pharrell Williams, Dres from Black Sheep, Mars Volta, RZA, John Oates)

Hangar 18 - Fun drunken party hip hop on Def Jux.

Headnodic - Good instrumental hip hop producer

Heiruspecs - Hip-hop band from St. Paul.  Not essential, but good.

Heliocentrics - cool instrumental hip hop

Herbaliser - Super smooth funky hip hop that is mostly instrumental, but features emcees occasionally.

Hieroglyphics - Massive Oakland crew with Del, Casual, Domino, Pep Love, A-Plus, Opio, Tajai, Phesto and DJ Toure (half the group comprise Souls of Mischief)  3rd Eye Vision is an absolute classic.

Home Brew - New Zealand hip hop... pretty damned good and jazzy

I swear we have the same taste in hip hop. I have like 90% of these you have mentioned in your two long posts.

I've never really been into that whole Horrorcore scene so House of Krazees, Twiztid, Esham, ICP... all that stuff doesn't do much for me.

My friend growing up's mom got re-married and his new step sister used to "date" (her word, but I'm sure he'd use a different verb) Violent Jay from ICP.

A lot of guys in my social circles were waaaaaaaay into that, but I didn't really get on board.

I was able to trade an ICP Riddle Box comic book to this guy back home in Muskegon for the first system for my car... it must have been from 95 or 96.

I have all of the comics haha. I'm just stoked you knew HoK by name. They mean a lot to me. Twiztid are one of my favorite rap groups and as you know, got their start in HoK.

you down with ABK?

Yeah! Hatchet Warrior and Dirty History are great albums. Stopped keeping up with him after that. I've seen him open for Twiztid/ICP at least 7 times. I was raised into the horrorcore scene because of my older brothers. He's in a group with Blaze called Drive By. They're really fun to listen to.