PO NOW: CLOAKROOM - FURTHER OUT

cloakroom_further_out_1_3.jpg

http://www.runforcoverstore.com/cloakroom-further-out.html

Further Out, the anticipated debut full length from the reclusive Indiana trio Cloakroom, can be defined best as an exploratory sonic mission. From the album’s opener, “Paperweight,” the crushing force of a wall of distorted bass and pounding drumming collapses to uncover the airy, reverb-soaked vocals of guitarist Doyle Martin, who’s carrying a sullen burden that seems just as weighed down. From the headbanging heaviness of “Moon Funeral” to the ethereal moments of songs like “Starchild Skull” and Mesmer,” Cloakroom’s output is the end result of researching seemingly dissimilar elements like atmospheric post-rock, punishingly slow stoner metal, and cathartic emo and how their best qualities can work into a final, organic sound, masterfully navigated by the expert and completely analog production of Matt Talbot. Further Out boasts the timelessness of a classic record: it is expansive and exploratory while still reflective and referential to the astral tendencies of predecessors like Hum and Jesu.

Pressing Info:

300 Clear
700 Gold
1000 Black

Tracklist:

Side A
1. Paperweight
2. Outta Spite
3. Moon Funeral

Side B
1. Lossed Over
2. Mesmer
3. Starchild Skull
4. Asymmetrical

Side C
1. Clean Moon
2. Sylph
3. Deep Sea Station

Side D

Could not be more stoked for this release.  I have a feeling this record will be a landmark release for the label and scene, I couldn't be more proud that this band is from my state.

Oh man, this is deemed to be great. Infinity caught me by surprise. Will be funny to see whether the reviews of this will also mistakenly posit this as a David Bazan project, ha. Although I'll admit the resemblance is uncanny and is probably one of the main reasons I was drawn toward them.

Now if only they had done some more interesting variants with the most limited. No cigar though, so won't hurry with getting the clear. Will probably wait and snag the gold at some point, it'll probably look amazing with that cover.

Does the ∞ symbol on the D side mean denote an etching, as it would be silly of me to expect the whole of Infinity to fit on that side?

every time i've seen this band live, they've bored me to death; however, i feel like i should give them another shot. grabbed a clear copy. anyone know when this is scheduled to be released?

also, i asked this in the last cloakroom thread, but does anyone know whats going on with Native? they kind of just vanished last spring after saying "looking forward to doing things the right way in 2014"

every time i've seen this band live, they've bored me to death; however, i feel like i should give them another shot."

I saw them open for Basement earlier this year, and I almost fell over because I fell asleep standing up during their set. They took away all the energy I had that night. Seems like they played for hours haha. But yeah, I've never listened to them other than that, so I should probably give them a chance...

always astounds  me how inside the box hypers somehow find this as boring or draining. if you actually took time to listen and focus you'd hear all the amazing thing this band is doing. yes the pace is different than basement, but that kind of bored indifference is close-minded man.

It definitely works into your mind on its own terms. You just have to let it go about it's business.

Does the ∞ symbol on the D side mean denote an etching, as it would be silly of me to expect the whole of Infinity to fit on that side?

Also, I didn't get an answer to this, runforcover, help me out here -_-

every time i've seen this band live, they've bored me to death; however, i feel like i should give them another shot.

I found them to be a little underwhelming live as well. I guess I was expecting them to play more off of Infinity.

Regardless, I loved their last release and will definitely grab this at some point.