(PO) of Montreal - Aureate Gloom

27GR5n3.jpg

It's only been a little over a year since of Montreal's last album, Lousy With Sylvianbriar, was released in Oct 2013, but the band is already back with a new one - Aureate Gloom (coming March 3, 2015).

"A golden despondency" is how of Montreal mastermind Kevin Barnes translates the meaning behind the album's title The oxymoron is one Barnes says best describes the overall state of his life and mental outlook while working on the record: first on a writing retreat in New York City, then while demoing tracks in Athens, before finally recording at Sonic Ranch, just across the border from Juarez, Mexico in the Texan desert.

"I was going through a very stormy period in my life and felt like I was just completely trashed," reveals Barnes. "I might be guilty of sharing or exposing too much of my private life, but to me the best albums are those that help people connect with an artist on a deep, human level and that do so without too much artifice or evasiveness."

The album will be available on CD, LP ("Early Bird" clear-gold vinyl limited to 1500), TAPE, or MP3. Click HERE to pre-order and to read more about Aureate Gloom. Check out the first single, "Bassem Sabry,"  on Pitchfork.

Also, tour dates:

12-11 New York, NY - Baby's All Right (Kevin Barnes solo)
01-13 Tallahassee, FL - The Moon
01-14 Pensacola, FL - Vinyl Music Hall
01-15 Gainesville, FL - High Dive
01-16 Orlando, FL - The Social
01-17 Tampa, FL - Crowbar
01-18 Miami, FL - Grand Central
1-19 Jacksonville, FL - Freebird Live
01-20 Macon, GA - Cox Capitol Theatre
01-21 Charleston, SC - The Pour House
01-22 Greensboro, NC - The Blind Tiger
01-23 Nashville, TN - Mercy Lounge
01-24 Chattanooga, TN - Rhythm and Brews

* with Nedelle Torrisi

a1f0cf94512f963e5ed4edd9af70e2cc95b48864

Not sure if you caught it, but there's a mailorder exclusive vinyl only covers 7" featuring songs that inspired the album. You can grab it on its own, or bundled with the LP or LP + T-shirt.

"Chinese Rocks" by Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers

"Either Way I Lose" by Nina Simone

Exclusive new artwork by acclaimed Portland-based artist Tim Root (Bedside DramaCherry Peel).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...