Black Metal Discussion Thread

On 1/6/2018 at 8:32 PM, 2notepockets said:

Satyricon do nothing for me, to be fair I haven't listened to them much at all... I got through about 5 mins of this and just felt like I'd rather put on some early Opeth...

Favourite Opeth albums?

Blackwater park

Still life

My arms your hearse

Ghost reveries

I would at least give the songs "Mother North" and "Nemesis Divina" a second look because those tracks had a lot of good things I liked about them.  I rarely listen to metal anymore these days, but this album had me engaged.  If I'm listening to black metal today, its either Grue (a local band from New Hampshire that is literally fucking unreal and should be huge), Immortal, or Deafheaven/Show Me A Dinosaur.  I still enjoy the medium, but it was all i listened to as a kid so I'm a little bit "over it" i guess you could say. 

Immortal is still so fucking good though. 

You guys would really do well to check this track out.  As mentioned before, they're from New Hampshire and it blows me away that they don't gain any traction anywhere.  Their drummer is a madman, and they have a really unique sound that I don't find in any other bands. 

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I would at least give the songs "Mother North" and "Nemesis Divina" a second look because those tracks had a lot of good things I liked about them.  I rarely listen to metal anymore these days, but this album had me engaged.  If I'm listening to black metal today, its either Grue (a local band from New Hampshire that is literally fucking unreal and should be huge), Immortal, or Deafheaven/Show Me A Dinosaur.  I still enjoy the medium, but it was all i listened to as a kid so I'm a little bit "over it" i guess you could say. 

Immortal is still so fucking good though. 

You guys would really do well to check this track out.  As mentioned before, they're from New Hampshire and it blows me away that they don't gain any traction anywhere.  Their drummer is a madman, and they have a really unique sound that I don't find in any other bands. 

This track is great, thanks.  For fun, I sped it up to 2x.  It sounds faster than Infant Annihilator.  

2 hours ago, Secular Haze said:

This track is great, thanks.  For fun, I sped it up to 2x.  It sounds faster than Infant Annihilator.  

hahaha right on.  Check out the whole album on Bandcamp dude.  It's fucking incredible.  They're so viscious.  They also have a new album coming, and you can hear a preview track, which I'll link here:  https://grue.bandcamp.com/

These guys are fucking riff masters, and the drummer might be the best underground drummer out there.  The ending of this track is huge. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

Just realized there are like 6 releases from the gilead media 2017 subscription that have yet to be fulfilled...

why o why did i sign up for 2018 with that track record...

Eh, I'm not too worried about it.  I've had nothing, but good experiences with them thus far and I can't imagine they'll be dodgy at any point going forward.  Might not show up on time, but it happens and they've been fairly on top of communicating any issues.

8 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Eh, I'm not too worried about it.  I've had nothing, but good experiences with them thus far and I can't imagine they'll be dodgy at any point going forward.  Might not show up on time, but it happens and they've been fairly on top of communicating any issues.

Good point. They have been top notch. I just saw a FB post from them saying a yellow eyes and another record arrived at their shop and went to look at the subscription and was like holy shit those were due in the fall. I just had not been paying attention to where they were in fullfillment of the subscription. 

It also looks like that forn record became tbd which is a bummer. 

8 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Wish Profound Lore did a subscription. I buy most of their releases and miss out on a lot of the rarer pressings for some reason.

They would be smart to do this. People would pay an extra upcharge to guarentee the rarest pressings. I know i would. 

3 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

Good point. They have been top notch. I just saw a FB post from them saying a yellow eyes and another record arrived at their shop and went to look at the subscription and was like holy shit those were due in the fall. I just had not been paying attention to where they were in fullfillment of the subscription. 

They're farther than Yellow Eyes, subscribers got a white label version late last year.  I want to say I only have 3-4 releases left to go, I don't remember, haha.  Probably 1 package worth.

39 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

They're farther than Yellow Eyes, subscribers got a white label version late last year.  I want to say I only have 3-4 releases left to go, I don't remember, haha.  Probably 1 package worth.

I took a look at the original subscriber email.

looks like there are:

two yellow eye reissues

mutilation rites

pyrolatrous

Eighenlight

Forn LP (which i think is no longer apart of the package i think but was on the list originally)

I didn't realize how short we are on the 2017 sub club. I think I remember him saying that the Mutilation Rites LP wouldn't be a part of the 2017 club (on Instagram maybe?) and that the Northless album was taking it's spot. I think the anticipation over the coffee mug distracted me from the fact that we haven't had any updates on those Yellow Eyes reissues. I also signed up for the 2018 club since I've really been into everything Gilead has put out and the 2018 lineup is awesome, but damn, I hope we get those missing records AND THAT KILLER MUG soon. 

You guys are funny. We’ve all gotten multiple emails updating us with all of the info about the subscription. Pyrolatrous LPs are shipping this week with the Hell CD. Forn got pushed. Yellow Eyes, Mutilation Rites, and Eighenlight are all at the plant. Adam’s probably the most honest person doing a label that would do a subscription. You’ll get everything you were promised.

i signed up for the 2018 subscription. It’s a no-brainer. All heat, all tasty platters.

3 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

this album is fucking immense:

Yep. It's become one of my favorites by him. I'm really looking forward to the new album(s). I like that he's making one to showcase his black metal style and the other one his folksy side. It'll be interesting to see which one I will listen to more.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:31 AM, lexicondevil said:

Yep. It's become one of my favorites by him. I'm really looking forward to the new album(s). I like that he's making one to showcase his black metal style and the other one his folksy side. It'll be interesting to see which one I will listen to more.

I slept on Panopticon for far too long, Kentucky and Autumn Eternal are great but Roads to the North is head and shoulders above them for mine...

Mare cognition pre orders from their FB:

CDs and preorder vinyl for The Sea Which Has Become Known as well as preorder vinyl for the Sol remaster are now available. Digital versions of both records are also available for name-your-price.

VINYL PREORDERS SHIP OUT BY 3/31/2018

USA

https://marecognitum.bandcamp.com/merch
http://store.fallenempirerecords.com/ (VINYL ONLY)

EU

https://spectrallore.bandcamp.com/merch (VINYL ONLY)
https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-sea-which-has-become-known (CD ONLY)

DISTRO LIST COMING SOON

Please note that if you buy vinyl preorders + other merch, your entire order will ship when the preorders do.

So bummed I can't afford records at the moment with this new panopticon and all the stuff from last year I still "need" *sigh*

^ grabbed both the Mare Cognitum releases and Arkthinn CS that they put up, pretty excited all around.  I'm going to give the other albums they put up today a listen in a few days and possibly place another order.  Fallen Empire usually has a pretty solid track record for me.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

^ grabbed both the Mare Cognitum releases and Arkthinn CS that they put up, pretty excited all around.  I'm going to give the other albums they put up today a listen in a few days and possibly place another order.  Fallen Empire usually has a pretty solid track record for me.

Not on the new batch of releases but I've been enjoying Jassa and Void Sphere as well