Are Bose 201 Speakers Worth My Time?

I've decided that within the next few months, once I save some money, I am going to upgrade all components of my system (1970s JVC turntable with Ortofon cartridge will become Pro-Ject Debut Carbon), and I plan on getting Wharfedale 10.1 and a reasonable amp (I have an okay NAD preamp, so will see what I need). I figure I'm looking to save up $1200 or so for my upgrade.

My dad just offered me components from his stereo system, which include a Kenwood Home Theatre receiver (which I'm pretty sure is nothing too fancy, but working) and Bose 201 speakers. I've looked around (on this forum or otherwise), and the feedback on Bose is that they're pretty lousy, average at best. Is it even worth taking these speakers from him? I figure it might allow me to buy the Debut Carbon sooner, and then replace the amp/speakers later into the spring. But am I doing a disservice to the potential of the turntable?

Where's burnedfaceless when we need him?

Free Bose 201s are just fine. They not "amazing", they won't blow you away, but they will be just great for free speakers. They will be seriously lacking bass, and have that terrible Bose EQ, but they'll make a good interim speaker.

Pro tip: Experiencing Bose equipment puts you in a great position to know what you don't want when shopping for upgrades once you've saved up your coin!

Which edition of the 201's are they? I just acquired a pair of Bose 201 Series II from the mid-80s that are good for what they are. True to latter Bose, they lack solid lows though but they perform well in the mid and high frequency ranges. I do like the rear-firing 3" tweeter and paired with my Rogersound Labs Élan tower speakers they do round out the soundstage nicely. I have them set up vertically though instead of horizontally like they were intended which I found make the soundstage better. It really depends on how they're used in my opinion and what components you are pairing them with.

If you want quality speakers, I cannot recommend Bowers & Wilkins or Klipsch more than any other brands I've auditioned.