Universal will be reportedly upping prices on 600+ records 24%-80% starting January

Kanellos

Some interesting info: Distros are sending emails out right now stating that Universal will officially be raising prices on 600+ records starting 1/9/2015. No reason is given. You might want to take a look at the attached list below to see the increases. The list may change in content or pricing from now until that January date.

Price increase examples of SRP:

Bob Marley 30th Ann. $27>$46

Katy Perry-Teenage Dream $18.98 > $59.98

Nirvana - Nevermind [LP] (180 Gram Black Vinyl, remastered) $24.98 > $34.98

Jay Z & Kanye West - Watch The Throne (Deluxe) [2 LP] $139.89 > $189.99

Example email:

Hello folks

Some of you might have already heard the big (not so great) news today that Universal Music Distribution has announced a significant price increase on over 600 titles in their catalog that goes in effect in January. The average price increase is around 24% more, with some prices as high as 80% more!! (ouch!!!)

Please see the attached file/order form that shows you your current pricing and the pending increased prices. The price increases go in effect as of Friday 1/9/2015.

You can place orders at your current/old pricing from now through Thursday 1/8/2015. All orders you place, whether in stock or not by 1/8/2015 will be held in our system for you at the current/old pricing, unless Universal has no stock and can’t fill as of 1/9/2015, then your orders will cancel off. So best to get your orders in asap, so you can grab whatever stock URP has and that we can still get from Universal for you, while we can.

Full list here of increases (cost column removed) (thanks to stumpyjon from Reddit for giving this to me). 

Edited by JustinVicious

The majors raise prices on vinyl all the time, this isnt anything new.

Also, I dont think the list of titles increasing in price this time has been finalized yet.

All it takes is a little half-truth to get the board all riled up.

The majors raise prices on vinyl all the time, this isnt anything new.

Also, I dont think the list of titles increasing in price this time has been finalized yet.

All it takes is a little half-truth to get the board all riled up.

Of course prices get raised all the time. It's a huge shark tank and its the basics of business.

Citation needed? Even if its not finalized not sure why these prices would be sent out 3 1/2 weeks before the announced changes and be a rough draft list. That would be a scam right?

Half truth? Not seeing that. Nor trying to rile anyone up. A mere warning for interested parties and shop owners not aware.

Of course prices get raised all the time. It's a huge shark tank and its the basics of business.

Citation needed? Even if its not finalized not sure why these prices would be sent out 3 1/2 weeks before the announced changes and be a rough draft list. That would be a scam right?

Half truth? Not seeing that. Nor trying to rile anyone up. A mere warning for interested parties and shop owners not aware.

Not saying you're trying to rile anyone up, I just know how a little bit of info that isn't always completely true can get this place all worked up is all.

I just heard that list of price increases was being revised so it may not be that many titles and the price increase for those titles may not be as high as what was initially sent out. That's all I was really saying.

Not saying you're trying to rile anyone up, I just know how a little bit of info that isn't always completely true can get this place all worked up is all.

I just heard that list of price increases was being revised so it may not be that many titles and the price increase for those titles may not be as high as what was initially sent out. That's all I was really saying.

Gotchya. Yep you're right about that. I edited the main post to be a little more easier on the wording.

List doesn't seem to make much sense. 

Does when most companies look at flipping sales histories and increase in demand of certain records. But like I put in the post the list only has the SRP changes. Distro cost column was removed. Obviously retailers can (sometimes) adjust prices on certain things down to a certain value under a SRP.

if this is true, the titles getting huge increases are probably already/soon to be out of print.

That being said, this list has tons of stuff that has been out for a long time at really low prices. if you haven't picked up kanye's first two records, you never will.

Well...aren't the pressing on those garbage anyway?