Official Newbury Comics Reissue Thread

1 hour ago, lethalenforcer said:

I've gone for this. Never ordered from Newbury Comics before as I'm in the UK, but the JUNEBUG discount code (20% for others) made it reasonable, and the postage isn't too bad. Often a lot worse from the US to UK. 

Sucker for an OST. 

Even though I bought some a couple of weeks ago they reeled me back in with this stupid coupon code. Damn you Newbury, stop releasing things I want.

What do you guys think of the overall quality of these pressings? I recently bought the Odyssey and Oracle tri-color and it has significant popping (and even skipping) in some areas. I'd complain and return but they're all gone. Plus it looks too damn cool. Still though, a brand new $35 LP should be nice and clean.

6 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

Even though I bought some a couple of weeks ago they reeled me back in with this stupid coupon code. Damn you Newbury, stop releasing things I want.

What do you guys think of the overall quality of these pressings? I recently bought the Odyssey and Oracle tri-color and it has significant popping (and even skipping) in some areas. I'd complain and return but they're all gone. Plus it looks too damn cool. Still though, a brand new $35 LP should be nice and clean.

Newbury is a retail store not a record label. Any consistency you may find in their exclusive variants would be coincidence as there are different labels and pressing plants involved in each one.

22 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

It's the only vinyl pressing of O&O I've ever listened to and it certainly could be better. I have some minor popping if I recall but no skips. 

Amazing album.  Slick variant.  Balls pricing.  $43.50 out the door for a double LP.  If I didn't already own a couple of variants on this one, and that coupon was still active, I'd maybe consider it.  But there's just no way.

Baroness-Blue-Record-2LP-Vinyl-Exclusive

https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/exclusive-vinyl/products/baroness-blue_record_exclusive_2_lp?variant=41141000972

Actually looks like that Baroness album received another repress.  Up to 9, now.  While that electric blue (/350) may be my favorite, there's a rarer Orange Krush (/200) up at Relapse right now, $21.99 vs. $34.99.  After fees and shipping it's about $30 PPD.  No idea where Newbury gets their price points.

21 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Actually looks like that Baroness album received another repress.  Up to 9, now.  While that electric blue (/350) may be my favorite, there's a rarer Orange Krush (/200) up at Relapse right now, $21.99 vs. $34.99.  After fees and shipping it's about $30 PPD.  No idea where Newbury gets their price points.

Oh, I'm pretty sure. Look at the post above yours.

5 minutes ago, skycriesmary said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure. Look at the post above yours.

You're pretty sure they get their price points from inside assholes?  What am I missing here?

It doesn't happen often, but it's definitely annoying when they release a really  alluring variant for an album I already own.  I struggle to pony up the bloated prices even if it's a record I've been putting off on picking up, and can somewhat justify the splurge.  I really wish they'd stick to OSTs.

Seriously speaking, it seems they put about a 30% premium on their exclusives based on regular retail prices for standard vinyl.

They've been doing this long enough where they must've determined this is the price-point where they can bring their profit to the brink of being offensive to consumers, but not actually cross that line.

In fairness, all of their vinyl appears to just be licensing deals - usually with big labels - so we have no idea what kind of cost is associated with their pursuit of these exclusives. That being said, in cases where there's a Newbury Comics variant and also one available from one or more other retailers (Turntable Lab, Urban Outfitters, etc) the NC version is almost always the most expensive.

Also, their high shipping prices and widespread tax charges don't really help make the prices look any better...

8 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Seriously speaking, it seems they put about a 30% premium on their exclusives based on regular retail prices for standard vinyl.

[...]

In fairness, all of their vinyl appears to just be licensing deals - usually with big labels - so we have no idea what kind of cost is associated with their pursuit of these exclusives.

Sounds about right to me.  Honestly, if they paid out the wazoo to secure exclusive rights to a press and not just a variant, I'd be grumbling a whole lot less.  Like if they rose to the occasion and locked in one press of Demon Days that wasn't available anywhere else, I could see the insane licensing costs being averaged out by a $40 price-tag... and loads of people clamoring to pay that price.  Simply because "well, it's better than Discogs!" logic.

But like you said, more often than not, the Newbury variant is accompanied by cheaper repress variants from other sources – not unlike that Baroness repress from earlier today.  Sometimes there's no repress at all and they select a seemingly random album that is readily available on black vinyl, and charge triple the rate.  I do think you're correct with your suspicions that they've probably done their research and honed in on that sweet price point that flirts with both appalling and appealing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...