So this Sony hack thing...

Im sure i wouldnt go out of my way to watch it but im sure i would enjoy it. But with that being said i find the situation interesting but also super silly considering the stuff happening in north korea right now, if any positive comes out of this hopefully its more attention brought to how north korea is run and how people live there than another dumb rogen movie.

I don't know where I saw it but someone posted something like "what would America's reaction be to North Korean's making a movie about killing the US president." 

I'm not saying the Sony hack is okay and threatening to attack movie theaters is fucked, but it's the studio/film company that ultimately chose not to show it. 

My co-worker and I were discussing this and the thing we forget is Sony is a HUGE international company in japan. North Korea and Japan have also not been on the friendliest of terms. While I don't agree with the outcome because of how it affects america, I do understand the need to protect workers and families closest to the conflict area. 

Here's an article for some more insight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/world/sonys-international-incident-making-kims-head-explode.html

The 'what if they made a movie about killing Obama' argument is all over the internet, and is entirely irrelevant.  Obama (arguments aside) is a REASONABLE FUCKING PERSON.

A proper comparison would be closer to; What if someone released a movie during the cold war that made fun of and involved killing Castro?

It's just stupid.  Buddy is still alive, is fucking crazy, and has fucking nukes at his disposal.  You think he might be a little upset and MAYBE react a little irrationally?  And yeah, it's an american movie, but it's a Japanese company, who they are not on good terms with already.  It is perfectly reasonable that they pulled the release.  They never should have made the fucking movie in the first place.

How could they not "pull the release" when pretty much every major movie chain was refusing to show the movie? Even though the threats to attack movie theaters are probably just a bluff, who wants to take the risk? People weren't going to feel safe seeing any movie playing in the same building as that one. It could've crippled the entire industry.

I think all of this is just going to generate more hype for the movie if it ever does get released, but I don't know if it will be enough to make up for what they'll lose as a result of missing the holiday release window. Not releasing the movie was definitely the responsible thing to do, but it really sets a weird precedent.

Honestly, I always thought this was a hilarious premise for a movie and I think it's a miracle it was ever greenlit by a major studio at all. So I'm bummed I won't be getting to see it any time soon.

Also this is happening:

http://drafthouse.com/movies/quote-alongs_team_america/dfw

How could they not "pull the release" when pretty much every major movie chain was refusing to show the movie? Even though the threats to attack movie theaters are probably just a bluff, who wants to take the risk? People weren't going to feel safe seeing any movie playing in the same building as that one. It could've crippled the entire industry.

This is pretty much what it all boils down to. Other movie studios were probably pressuring them to pull the release as well. Christmas is one of the biggest times of the year for movie theaters. I can understand why they are doing this. They can just release the movie in a few weeks. 

This is pretty much what it all boils down to. Other movie studios were probably pressuring them to pull the release as well. Christmas is one of the biggest times of the year for movie theaters. I can understand why they are doing this. They can just release the movie in a few weeks. 

They got incredible pressure from other studios to pull it because they feared no one would risk going to a theatre that showed it. Do we really think North Korea is going to bomb a theatre in Wisconsin over a movie, but not attack us for the 1000 of other reasons they hate us???

Quoted and pointing out that you do shit on things when you claim not to. This may not be your cup of tea, but who are you to say what is and isnt considered a movie?

Oh snap! You've called me out on my own bullshit. Kudos to you, sir.

I guess I will now be forced to quit the internet forever.

I bid you all adieu!