AVAILABLE NOW: Justin Townes Earle - "Absent Fathers" LP

absentfathers_zps430f06d5.jpg

Justin Townes Earle's second album of 2014 available now for order. I received my pre-order package w/ slipmat this morning. Cannot wait to spin this, as I was a bit disappointed with "Single Mothers." Anyone else feel the same way?

BUNDLES AVAILABLE AT KINGS ROAD: http://kingsroadmerch.com/vagrant/?id=1759 

I didnt know it was coming with a slipmat. I decided to wait and pick it up at my local store. I wish I got the pre-order though, Id love to hear this now.

The slipmat is super rad. I was hoping that print would be on a t-shirt too, but no luck. He's never had the best merch. I'll spin it tonight and post my initial reactions to the record. Crossing my fingers for some jams.

I have all of his earlier albums, and Single Mothers is just "off" somehow.  The songs aren't bad, but they aren't good either.  I passed on it, and I may pass on Absent Fathers if the songwriting isn't on point.

That's honestly the best way to put Single Mothers, just off. It is just hard for me to enjoy as a whole. He slurs most of his lyrics and the blues is laid on real thick. It also doesn't help that I don't enjoy his new live band. The drummer I saw last month did the drum tracks on the album and is super sloppy.

Single Mothers is easily his worst album.

Matt Pence is one of the best drummers on the planet. Surprised at your reaction. I worked one of their shows in September and thought it was great pretty much specifically because of Pence's drumming.

To each his own I guess.

Justin's albums take a while to grow on me. I remember thinking Harlem wasnt all that good at first when it dropped, but I grew to love it. Nothing... was another huge shift in direction but it is probably my favorite record of all time now. Single Mother's seems to have a more NPR, safe sound, but it goes well with how he has been playing live the past few years and after a few spins I grew to like it a lot. Yes, I wish it had some solo tracks on it, and some folk/bluegrass stuff along the lines of Yuma, but he isnt making disjointed albums anymore, he is sticking with a style for a whole album and it is working. Still excited about Single Fathers.

Single Mothers is easily his worst album.

Matt Pence is one of the best drummers on the planet. Surprised at your reaction. I worked one of their shows in September and thought it was great pretty much specifically because of Pence's drumming.

To each his own I guess.

I would have to agree about Single Mothers being his worst. By a mile. Matt Pence has a sloppy style with tons of ghost notes and awkward grooves that are too much for the music. That is how it sounded to me live. And now every time I throw on Single Mothers, I can't help but hear those dumb ghost notes.

JTE's best touring band was on the Harlem River tour with the gal playing stand-up bass and the cool bearded dude playing the fiddle.

Justin's albums take a while to grow on me. I remember thinking Harlem wasnt all that good at first when it dropped, but I grew to love it. Nothing... was another huge shift in direction but it is probably my favorite record of all time now. Single Mother's seems to have a more NPR, safe sound, but it goes well with how he has been playing live the past few years and after a few spins I grew to like it a lot. Yes, I wish it had some solo tracks on it, and some folk/bluegrass stuff along the lines of Yuma, but he isnt making disjointed albums anymore, he is sticking with a style for a whole album and it is working. Still excited about Single Fathers.

Great point. I definitely had that mindset with Nothing's Gonna Change... where I couldn't dig it at first, but now it has some of my favorite JTE songs. Although after my first listen to Harlem River Blues, I was hooked instantly from beginning to end. 

I did not have time to spin Absent Fathers last night, so I am hoping for a solo track or something with some twang. I wouldn't bet on it. You're right about him sticking with this new style. It's hard to fault someone with so much talent. As a fan, sometimes you just have to adapt.

• 3 weeks later...