Why can't people just enjoy the fact that they are finally able to have all anberlin albums finally on vinyl (for those who didn't get originals). Who cares how "rare" it is. Don't we buy these because we love the music instead of caring that only a limited amount of people can enjoy. Maybe they made a mistake by saying they were only making one box set, but they saw that their some of their fans missed out and really wanted to own these, so they did the right thing and helped their fans by making it available again regardless of how they went about it. I guarantee if any of you were in a band that fans really wanted to own your music you would make it available if possible.  How many people are constantly begging for represses because they missed out the first go around, almost everyone who bought this?

Remeber people. It's all about the MUSIC. If all you care about is having the rarest form. FO.

3 minutes ago, famousdrumer said:

Why can't people just enjoy the fact that they are finally able to have all anberlin albums finally on vinyl (for those who didn't get originals). Who cares how "rare" it is. Don't we buy these because we love the music instead of caring that only a limited amount of people can enjoy. Maybe they made a mistake by saying they were only making one box set, but they saw that their some of their fans missed out and really wanted to own these, so they did the right thing and helped their fans by making it available again regardless of how they went about it. I guarantee if any of you were in a band that fans really wanted to own your music you would make it available if possible.  How many people are constantly begging for represses because they missed out the first go around, almost everyone who bought this?

Remeber people. It's all about the MUSIC. If all you care about is having the rarest form. FO.

It is about the music, but sometimes it is also about having something collectible, especially when it is marketed as being limited, special, and collectible. I think all of us have said from the beginning that we'd like to see them just do individual album pressings also, that way all the people who only really need New Surrender can get it without paying $165 for a whole box.

I'm glad to finally own New Surrender, and that's why I bought the box as I already had the other albums. I'm just disappointed with the way they handled it and how they're now trying to make the new box seem even more rare and limited than what we were initially sold. It's all optics and the way they've handled the situation just makes it worse.

1 hour ago, famousdrumer said:

buying vinyl is about the music and buying something collectible. It doesn't have to be one or the other. 

2 hours ago, zacooper said:

It is about the music, but sometimes it is also about having something collectible, especially when it is marketed as being limited, special, and collectible. I think all of us have said from the beginning that we'd like to see them just do individual album pressings also, that way all the people who only really need New Surrender can get it without paying $165 for a whole box.

I'm glad to finally own New Surrender, and that's why I bought the box as I already had the other albums. I'm just disappointed with the way they handled it and how they're now trying to make the new box seem even more rare and limited than what we were initially sold. It's all optics and the way they've handled the situation just makes it worse.

Well said

Edited by Saxonjulin

7 hours ago, famousdrumer said:

Remeber people. It's all about the MUSIC. If all you care about is having the rarest form. 

7 hours ago, famousdrumer said:

Sounds like something Feeny would say

Edited by Eric_Matthews

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

If a change in scarcity of an LP or set of LP's ruins having the LP's for you in the slightest then you have failed yourself.

I don't think anyone said anything close to that. It's bullshit that this was a one time, limited pressing that took months to sell out, then immediately got repressed on a more limited variant. The fact that the first press is now obtainable for less than it originally was is just a bonus kick in the dick on behalf of Anberlin.

On 12/3/2016 at 2:40 PM, zacooper said:

4 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I don't think anyone said anything close to that. It's bullshit that this was a one time, limited pressing that took months to sell out, then immediately got repressed on a more limited variant. The fact that the first press is now obtainable for less than it originally was is just a bonus kick in the dick on behalf of Anberlin.

The quote above yours essentially says that. How much did this cost for the first press?

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

If a change in scarcity of an LP or set of LP's ruins having the LP's for you in the slightest then you have failed yourself.

ive said more than once on here that i pretty much dont care how a band chooses to release their music. dont say one thing though in the process of marketing the release and then turn around and do the exact opposite.

Does it really change anything for you and your direct relationship with those pieces of plastic with music etched in them?

The word "limited" really doesn't mean much in today's economy. If they can afford to make more and believe they can sell the numbers they produce, they're going to make more and sell more. In every market. Not just vinyl records. What does it matter to you if it was ever limited or is less limited now than it was when you purchased it.

9 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Does it really change anything for you and your direct relationship with those pieces of plastic with music etched in them?

The word "limited" really doesn't mean much in today's economy. If they can afford to make more and believe they can sell the numbers they produce, they're going to make more and sell more. In every market. Not just vinyl records. What does it matter to you if it was ever limited or is less limited now than it was when you purchased it.

If the vacuum world you are describing was reality, labels wouldnt have any desire to list releases as limited, because no one buying the products would care how limited something was. of course, that is not reality. dumb argument

Edited by rogeoa8

9 minutes ago, rogeoa8 said:

If the vacuum world you are describing was reality, labels wouldnt have any desire to list releases as limited, because no one buying the products would care how limited something was. of course, that is not reality. dumb argument

Anyone holding onto the concept of a product being limited actually for some sacred sense of collectibility instead of that product always being available to manufacture again so the producers can make a profit on in-demand merchandise is living in a dream world.  Dumb expectation.

You'll find that that word simply doesn't matter. If it bothers you that much collect coins. Once those editions are out of print, they usually stay that way. There will always be a new collectible limited coin. But pragmatically the use of the word "limited" on records is usually a completely empty selling point buzzword.  Especially now. Sorry.

5 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

But pragmatically the use of the word "limited" on records is usually a completely empty selling point buzzword.  Especially now. Sorry.

Are you suggesting the idea of limited variants does not draw people in to purchasing certain records, who otherwise would be unlikely to purchase a "standard" "non-limited" pressing? Because I would have to strongly disagree with that.

27 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

not really. i got what i paid for. ive listened to the records and enjoy them just the same. it doesnt mean im not going to be critical of something that was perceived by a fair amount of people as pretty disingenuous. i could also point out that their reasoning for a repress was that "too many" first pressings ended up in the hands of flippers when there was only a total of something like 10-12 boxsets (or 1% of the total pressing) combined in active/completed ebay listings at the time. orrrr that they almost instantly revamped the whole look of the boxset (arguably in a way that is more aesthetically appealing depending on which you prefer) + included a set of album art prints that the 1st press did not but ill digress from both of these points. theres certainly other ways they could have made those pieces of plastics with music etched into them available to everyone.

49 minutes ago, rogeoa8 said:

Are you suggesting the idea of limited variants does not draw people in to purchasing certain records, who otherwise would be unlikely to purchase a "standard" "non-limited" pressing? Because I would have to strongly disagree with that.

We're not talking about variants. So no. I'm not saying that. As far as I can tell the first press of this and the current are identical. So all we are talking about is an increase in numbers of how many copies of the same set were produced.

30 minutes ago, mattisr1984 said:

not really. i got what i paid for. ive listened to the records and enjoy them just the same. it doesnt mean im not going to be critical of something that was perceived by a fair amount of people as pretty disingenuous. i could also point out that their reasoning for a repress was that "too many" first pressings ended up in the hands of flippers when there was only a total of something like 10-12 boxsets (or 1% of the total pressing) combined in active/completed ebay listings at the time. orrrr that they almost instantly revamped the whole look of the boxset (arguably in a way that is more aesthetically appealing depending on which you prefer) + included a set of album art prints that the 1st press did not but ill digress from both of these points. theres certainly other ways they could have made those pieces of plastics with music etched into them available to everyone.

eBay is not the only place records can be flipped so that number is not reflective of the totality of the problem of the flipping of this title. So if there are drastic packaging aesthetic changes, that means there is technically a variation but if the LP's are still the same pressing and from the same master/stamper then I still don't see the big deal. In fact, changing the packaging does technically change the product in a visual sense and thus makes it not the identical release from the first press so the limitation of the first press stands as far as I can tell.