Why collect variants?

zdkaiser

I'm new to the forum and recently exposed to the notion of variant collectors. It has sort of raised some questions for me, but mostly...what is the appeal to variant collecting?

I am not trying to instigate a ruckus, but rather a discussion.

In my eyes, there are just too many artists and good albums out there that i couldn't bring myself to spend my limited funds on the same album in 7 different colors. I understand the beauty of colored vinyl and often pay a premium for limited releases, but I don't understand the "collect them all" mentality.

It seems like some bands are privy to these collectors and specifically sell numerous low numbered runs. 250 of one color, 150 of another. In the end it probably clogs up the already congested pressing plants and releases get delayed.

Variant collectors, I understand that the album is a piece of art, but is that solely the draw for multiple copies?

It seems like some bands are privy to these collectors and specifically sell numerous low numbered runs. 250 of one color, 150 of another. In the end it probably clogs up the already congested pressing plants and releases get delayed.

How would 400 records clog up a plant when there are tens of thousands of unnecessary represses of dollar bin records?

In my eyes, there are just too many artists and good albums out there that i couldn't bring myself to spend my limited funds on the same album in 7 different colors. I understand the beauty of colored vinyl and often pay a premium for limited releases, but I don't understand the "collect them all" mentality.

This is how I feel.  I'd rather have ten different albums then ten copies of the same album.  But that's just me and people can spend their money however they want.

This is VC so don't expect an adult discussion on this topic...

But the easy answer? Whatever makes people happy (or gives an illusion of happiness).

There's no real rationale to it, but there is no rationale to most ways we spend our money.

Buying vinyl alone is irrational. There are ways to buy more music for less money. There are ways to buy more music that also sounds way better and costs less money.

How would 400 records clog up a plant when there are tens of thousands of unnecessary represses of dollar bin records?

Good point.

Then again everything is getting pressed these days. I.e., the Transformers cartoon soundtrack? Dexter on blood splatter? Sons of Anarchy with Katey Sagal's atrocious voice? What next 4 Golden Girls picture discs?

The only time I really "collect" varaints, is if it's a band I am super in love with and want to give them extra money.  Typically the smaller the band the more likely I am to "collect" the variants of their records. 

Tim Barry is a good example of an artist I'll order copy of each variant of his records.  Typically in these situations I'll try to find reasons to pass on my duplicate copies at a future date as a way to get new people into the bands music.

Good point.

Then again everything is getting pressed these days. I.e., the Transformers cartoon soundtrack? Dexter on blood splatter? Sons of Anarchy with Katey Sagal's atrocious voice? What next 4 Golden Girls picture discs?

I would buy 4 Gold Girls picture disc 7 inches with the theme song on it.

Also why collect anything? The same principle applies here.

Also why collect anything? The same principle applies here.

I feel this way about it. I'm not going to ask other collectors 'why collect this band?' or 'why collect this label?'. Everyone has a different desire within collecting, it just depends from person to person. I like the option with variants, but that's as far as I try to go with it. 

It's the same as with anything people collect.

What if you were a coin collector? You wouldn't stop and say, I've already got a penny in my collection so I don't need this rare or hard to find penny.

Collecting is collecting. People just do it at different levels.

I would not collect variants if it were just the colour of the album that differs, however I do have some of my favorite albums twice, provided they have alternate artwork. I think the ability to say you have the "Complete collection" of something is what some people strive for. They are simply completionists, which is something you'll find in all kinds of collecting, not just records.

I also doubt people do this for every single band they enjoy listening to either. Its usually one or two that hold a special place in their heart. (aww...)

Just read this and replace every instance of "comic books" with "colored vinyl".

The short answer is that people see completism as the purest form of collecting, and see collecting as something you just do when you're a "big fan"/"true fan" of something. Variants are a clean, straightforward way to be able to own all of something, especially when some labels will sell them all as a bundle for a discount. As a result, "well, [band] is my favorite band so I'm in for all three colors of the fourth pressing of [2-song single being sold for $7.99]" or "ugh I really hate this new album, but I've gotta keep the [band] collection going. In for the [country with expensive shipping rates] exclusive" are things you'll read on this board, and you're right to think it's insane. It's a pretty glaring example of the larger societal problem of the obfuscation of participation in art & culture to where it just means carrying out a reflexive series of financial and social transactions in exchange for what basically amounts to cool points.

For me, i like the idea of music discovery. There is 100+ years worth of recorded music by thousands of artists i could buy. And when i buy albums i think about diversifying my collection, something new. I like a mixture of genres to choose from. Then again, i consume music and am always looking for new sounds.

I understand peoples' reasoning for collecting variants now.

Because reasons..

Seriously I just started variant collecting for Coheed and at times I check myself because it isn't cheap but I absolutely love everything they've done (except Year of the Black Rainbow YUCK). They are my favorite band and owning their complete vinyl discography may seem dumb to some people but it sounds glorious to me. Besides it's my money.