Do you guys tip your mail carriers for Christmas?

I don't, and I do generally tip fairly well in other instances. Its just that the USPS already pays pretty well (at least compared to others for my locale) and I would rather tip folks that can use it more and get paid a lot less.

Also, there is a law stating that civil servants cannot receive cash tips, and that includes USPS mail carriers.

i would tip my mail carrier however the one i've had for the last few months is lazy as fuck. he attached a record to my mail box in the hot sun with a rubber band (even though it had "DO NOT PUT IN THE SUN" written on it.), there is also the numerous times he has mixed up peoples mail, along with the time he threw a package up our driveway. (how the album survived is a mystery) 

I was a mailman for a while. Tips were very much appreciated, but as stated above they can't take cash. So if you're going to do so a gift card makes their day. 

As for how they are paid, more and more of them are 'casual' (temps) so I wouldn't assume they're making a ton of money. Less pay/benefits, no union coverage and no long term job security. It's not an easy job, and much more physical than it looks, so for those of you leaving tips - you guys rule!

I thought they couldn't accept anything over $20?

I don't remember if there was a $ amount limit, but one of two things always happened. Either the regular carrier was on the route to pick up the gift, or the temp/rotating carrier brought the gift back to the PO (never kept for him/her if it wasn't their route). Neither instance would involve a carrier saying 'this is too much' and having to reject the gift. 

my mail dude is awesome.  ever since he knew we had girls napping during his drop off time he would stop ringing the door bell and quietly place the package between the front door and storm door.

he also keeps the regular mail with the lp mailer with a rubber band and i appreciate that.  pretty sure he doesn't have to.

i usually give him a gift card to target or a lonestar or something.

Maybe it's just me, but I actually look at the tip as incentive for the mailman to take care of my stuff....they know if they do that extra little bit to keep my packages in good shape that there is a reward for them. On the flip side, I'm always worried that if I decided not to tip they'd use my packages for dodgeball practice.