Looking for advice on upgrading my setup

Hi all!

I've been doing an extensive amount of researching on upgrading my setup and my biggest concern has become creating a bottleneck in the setup. With that said, I have two Technics SL1200's, running through a Pioneer DJM-400 mixer, connected to two Rokit 5's (I mix as a hobby).

I was considering buying a new cartridge for listening purposes, but read that the stock tone arms on the 1200's aren't anything to write home about. So I didn't want to invest in a $300 cartridge if I'm not going to notice much of a difference.

Then I looked into upgrading the tone arms. I found that some of the tone arms being recommend cost more than I paid for both of the tables together (specifically the SME 309). Is there an affordable option (say $200-$300?) out there for this?

Even if I upgraded the cartridge and tone arms, I'm unsure if these upgrades would be negated by the fact that I'm running through a DJ mixer and Rokit 5 monitors. I was thinking about buying a solid preamp and bypassing the mixer for when I just want to listen. Or upgrading my mixer to an Allen & Heath Xone 92, since I want to upgrade that inevitably anyways.

So my question is, where do I start in the upgrade process? Sorry for the long post, but appreciate any advice.

• 1 month later...

The tonearm is the most expensive part of the turntable, usually. They're always more expensive separately than with a table. I'd just sell your tables, and buy a new one. Slowly start upgrading piece by piece.

I will say, new cartridge will change your sound. Not so great tonearms won't completely negate that.