we've hit critical mass: United isn't accepting new customers for the time being

flood

Similar to what Kurtz and tape said, I think this is a bummer to some people (myself included) because it's a signifier that vinyl is all but completely out of the hands of alternative culture at this point and into the hands of the people who have shown great enthusiasm for running every trend in music into the ground since the days of the wax cylinder. It was a fun, cheap format, kept alive by indie rock bands and punk labels through the 90s and early 2000s, and now it's gotten to the point where it's too expensive to put out releases that aren't guaranteed big sellers, and plants are busy enough pressing Good Charlotte albums and fucking Aerosmith reissues that they can turn down someone who wants to put out 300 7"s of their band's demo. I think that sucks. I know it's a pretty sentimental opinion, and that the internet has created a lot more open outlets for artistic expression, but WHATEVA. I reserve the right to be grumpy about things sucking.

I think the only part of the vinyl craze getting out of hand is all the crazy color combinations the plants keep trying to do. The more whacky colored vinyl I see, the more I want a plain black variant available.

Honestly, if labels/artists didn't want such elaborate color schemes, production would probably go much faster.

Color irritates me because it's usually case of fashion over function; colors, opaque more so than others, tend to be noisy. And to people who do buy expensive turntables and play their records, this sucks. Clear colors usually sound fine, but those ugly ass opaque splatter bullshit colors... They look like shit and usually sound worse.

Similar to what Kurtz and tape said, I think this is a bummer to some people (myself included) because it's a signifier that vinyl is all but completely out of the hands of alternative culture at this point and into the hands of the people who have shown great enthusiasm for running every trend in music into the ground since the days of the wax cylinder. It was a fun, cheap format, kept alive by indie rock bands and punk labels through the 90s and early 2000s, and now it's gotten to the point where it's too expensive to put out releases that aren't guaranteed big sellers, and plants are busy enough pressing Good Charlotte albums and fucking Aerosmith reissues that they can turn down someone who wants to put out 300 7"s of their band's demo. I think that sucks. I know it's a pretty sentimental opinion, and that the internet has created a lot more open outlets for artistic expression, but WHATEVA. I reserve the right to be grumpy about things sucking.

Well fucking said, man. This is it.

from what ive heard, URP had been buying up and mothballing extra machines for awhile now..  they haven't made a new one in decades, and the few that hit the market have been snapped up by the existing plants to keep competition down (also the few people who can work on these machines pretty much protect the clients that have kept them afloat for years as well)..  I kinda wonder if the Scientologists will ever break out their stash of DMM machines and open a plant.. because rumor has it they're holding TONS of them.

from what ive heard, URP had been buying up and mothballing extra machines for awhile now..  they haven't made a new one in decades, and the few that hit the market have been snapped up by the existing plants to keep competition down (also the few people who can work on these machines pretty much protect the clients that have kept them afloat for years as well)..  I kinda wonder if the Scientologists will ever break out their stash of DMM machines and open a plant.. because rumor has it they're holding TONS of them.

dammit tom cruise