Record Stores in New Orleans

andynz

Try these out - http://www.gonola.com/2013/04/20/gonola-top-5-new-orleans-record-stores.html

2. Euclid Records – You’ll know Euclid Records when you see the bright pink house that’s refreshingly not so out of place on Chartres St. by the levee in the Bywater. Inside this gem of a record store that is relatively new to New Orleans, you’ll find an extensive collection of old and new vinyl, from the 50s to recent releases. Euclid Records is a proud participant of Record Store Day, so expect some good specials and in-store performances while digging for vinyl treasure. Visit Euclid Records at their new location, one block away from the old one at 3301 Chartres Street.

+1

I've been to the main Euclid branch in St. Louis, MO a lot the last few years and it's always been a great experience. I imagine the NOLA one is pretty awesome as well!

I agree with you 90%. Go to peaches if you have extra time just to see what you shouldn't pay for an album. I remember fall 2013 they have Paramore ST for $40. Deftones RSD for $50, and a new pressing of Nevermind for $45

Haha. The guy only has one day to shop. Best to not even waste the time.

• 3 weeks later...

First up, thanks again for all your recommendations... they were spot on.

I ended up visiting Euclid (spent the most time there), Skully'z and Louisiana Music Factory. There was a band playing while I was at Louisiana Music Factory which was cool.

A huge selection across those stores, really nice people too. As expected I didn't find a huge amount of things on my want list, but did find some random purchases.

I only had half day or so in the end, and not a huge amount to spend but picked up:

- One of the old Preservation Hall compilations

- Deftones - Around the Fur

- A live Duke Ellingham album

- A Dave Brubeck Album

- An Andy Williams Christmas Album (total impulse buy for the wife)

- Neil Young - Harvest (an old UK pressing)

- I also picked up a copy of the Nirvana Sliver 7" on black. It's a first press (1990), with just the sleeve. I love both Sliver and Dive, I thought it might have been kinda hard to find and was only $5. Turns out it's not rare and not worth much more than that (and I think it's supposed to come with a paper cover), but I still think it was a pretty cool find. (Pic Below)

I put back a copy of Astral Weeks by Van Morrison that I should have bought also. 

As an aside. I went into Peaches as I was walking right past it... you weren't wrong on this one either, ridiculous prices! Just crazy. 

In terms of other stuff I did in town, I caught a show at Preservation Hall, saw Ben Howard at the Civic, ate at so many good places (I had way too many muffuletta's) and spent a fair bit of time on Frenchman and Bourbon Streets.

Awesome city, will be going back again soon!

10959631_596255309598_491870662295372008

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated! I'll probably only have a day to look around, so there are some good recommendations to keep me busy!

Thread drift... but I'll also take recommendations on stuff to see and places to eat :)

Make sure to eat at Coop's Place on Decatur. Also, make sure you go to Frenchmen Street and check out some music. 

Damn---didn't look at the date. Looks like you have come and gone.

First up, thanks again for all your recommendations... they were spot on.

I ended up visiting Euclid (spent the most time there), Skully'z and Louisiana Music Factory. There was a band playing while I was at Louisiana Music Factory which was cool.

A huge selection across those stores, really nice people too. As expected I didn't find a huge amount of things on my want list, but did find some random purchases.

I only had half day or so in the end, and not a huge amount to spend but picked up:

- One of the old Preservation Hall compilations

- Deftones - Around the Fur

- A live Duke Ellingham album

- A Dave Brubeck Album

- An Andy Williams Christmas Album (total impulse buy for the wife)

- Neil Young - Harvest (an old UK pressing)

- I also picked up a copy of the Nirvana Sliver 7" on black. It's a first press (1990), with just the sleeve. I love both Sliver and Dive, I thought it might have been kinda hard to find and was only $5. Turns out it's not rare and not worth much more than that (and I think it's supposed to come with a paper cover), but I still think it was a pretty cool find. (Pic Below)

I put back a copy of Astral Weeks by Van Morrison that I should have bought also. 

As an aside. I went into Peaches as I was walking right past it... you weren't wrong on this one either, ridiculous prices! Just crazy. 

In terms of other stuff I did in town, I caught a show at Preservation Hall, saw Ben Howard at the Civic, ate at so many good places (I had way too many muffuletta's) and spent a fair bit of time on Frenchman and Bourbon Streets.

Awesome city, will be going back again soon!

10959631_596255309598_491870662295372008

Cool stuff. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Preservation Hall is sooo good. It's hard to recommend because it's trad jazz and most people don't actually want to hear it. But if they played St. Jame Infirmary (which I'm willing to bet they did) in the heart of New Orleans on an amazing evening, you can die now because it doesn't get any better than that here. 

• 1 month later...

Very sad to see Juan Le Ger close. I only went once but they had a great selection.

i havent been to Captains Vinyl in midcity but ive heard good things.

Disko Obscura, around the corner (literally) from Jim Russells is also worth checking out if youre into funk/dance etc. The owner has some of the best taste in the genre.

I havent been to Bryan Funks new spot but I used to get some gems (OG Thou, Cursed, etc) at Iron Rail when he ran the selection. Now its a pizza place :/

I went to Josh's store (Juan Le Ger) a lot because I live in Gretna. I always found soul 45's but nothing else.

I'm pretty good friends with Bryan (Captain's Vinyl). If you're looking for the classic rock, that's the spot.

I also know Joey Buttons who opened Disko Obscura. I haven't been there yet either. 

Shane, do you know about the next Record Raid coming up? It's Uptown at Zeitgeist on April 4th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/904450792908669/

Stopped at Euclid, Sisters In Christ, Domino Sound, Peaches, and Skully'z. Shoutout to the dudes at Euclid for being patient while calling a cab for me. Getting around this city was tough. Also, huge shoutout to the dudes at Sisters In Christ / GASA GASA for hosting a Coliseum gig at 5:30 pm. Their selection was unreal for being practically brand new too. Record haul below:

EUCLID RECORDS:

12"

Pelican - "City Of Echoes" (Hydra Head Records | clear light blue)

R.E.M. - "Green" (Warner Bros. Records | black, 1988 US press)

The Suicide File - "Twilight" (Indecision Records | clear brown w/ black smoke)

10"

Breather Resist - "Only In The Morning" (King Of The Monsters | picture disc)

Breather Resist - "Patent Cruciform Casket" (King Of The Monsters | die-cut picture disc)

SISTERS IN CHRIST:

12"

Martyrdöd - "Sekt" (Prank Records | purple marble, US 2010 tour edition w/ silkscreened foldout cover)

Seven Sisters Of Sleep / Children Of God split 12" (A389 Recordings | black)

Left For Dead - "Devoid Of Everything" (A389 Recordings | red)

Since By Man - "We Sing The Body Electric" (Revelation Records | pink)

All Pigs Must Die - "Nothing Violates This Nature" (Southern Lord | 180g Electric Blue)

Go It Alone - "Histories" (Rivalry Records | white)

Transistor Transistor / Light the Fuse and Run split 12" (Level-Plane / Electric Human Project ‎| clear)

Full Of Hell - "Rudiments Of Mutilation" (A389 Recordings | sky blue, 3rd press)

Coliseum - "House With A Curse" (Temporary Residence Limited | black)

7"

The Format - "Time Bomb" [single] (The Vanity Label | blue)

I'm pretty good friends with Bryan (Captain's Vinyl). If you're looking for the classic rock, that's the spot.

I hit up Captains today. Definitely lots of new wave and classic rock but I picked up a couple cool rare funk re-releases from Tuff City records, one of being The Fabulous Fantoms from here. There was a K-Doe record on the wall callin my name but I couldn't get down with the price :/