The Smiths Re-issues from 2009 - 2012 - Some feedback

I'd like to hear some conclusions on these last individual reissues on Rhino/Rough Trade/Sire from 2009 to 2012, regarding the sound quality and packaging. Preferably from people who bought all of them including the compilations.

Regarding packaging - gatefold or not, printed inner sleeves or not.

With your comment, please state whether it's UK or US pressings you are talking about.

Thank you.

I'd like to hear some conclusions on these last individual reissues on Rhino/Rough Trade/Sire from 2009 to 2012, regarding the sound quality and packaging. Preferably from people who bought all of them including the compilations.

With your comment, please state whether it's UK or US pressings you are talking about.

Thank you.

I've considered picking these up in the past, never got around to it though. I remember Morrissey pitched a fit when they started selling them because The Smiths weren't getting any money from the sales.

Thank you.

Yeah hi, let me comment on all pressings, both UK and US. They all suck 100% and sound like muddy sewer water because they are The Smiths albums. You're welcome.

I haven't listened to mine in a while, but I didn't notice any of them sounding bad.  If you really want to dig in, there is a pretty good sized thread in the Steve Hoffman forums and they seem to take this stuff far more seriously then we do.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-smiths-vinyl-remasters.186414/

I've considered picking these up in the past, never got around to it though. I remember Morrissey pitched a fit when they started selling them because The Smiths weren't getting any money from the sales.

Moz pitching a fit?  I refuse to believe it.

Scored the box set a few years ago. Sounds pretty good. Pretty decent for the price as opposed to shelling out 30-40 for decent OG pressings (occasionally lucking out around 25).

Also, it's best to buy the boxset outright. For some reason Louder Than Bombs and World Won't Listen are crazy expensive by themselves.

Just glanced at The Queen is Dead and they're printed on the inside of the gatefold.

They are supposed to be direct copies of the originals- down to the stickers on the covers and included posters. The cd box set they released at the same time duplicates it in cd size- same stickers and posters and stuff, just tiny. Both sets really well done, and the remastered sound great.

I don't get why they didn't include This Charming Man and How Soon Is Now? on The Smiths and Meat Is Murder (respectively). It's a bitch trying to find good copies of the original US versions.

I think these were intended to reproduce the original uk versions, and those were added in for the American pressings after being first released as singles. I think.

The reissues sound great. They have the warmer, fuller sound of the UK masterings as opposed to the thinner, colder US pressings. I have both US OP Sire and the new Rhino pressing and I like both in different ways, but if I had to choose one, I would take the new reissue. Tracking down and paying for a NM OP UK press is not really worth it when these are available, unless you are a collector.

As stated, they are exact replicas, packaging wise, as the UK originals.

Right; but since they seemingly reissue, repackage, remaster every few years, I hope they'll put out reworked versions of the original US pressings someday. Unlike HSIN, I can't get that version of This Charming Man on any other good compilation (I'm not into buying singles, even though the B-sides sound great).

I don't get why they didn't include This Charming Man and How Soon Is Now? on The Smiths and Meat Is Murder (respectively). It's a bitch trying to find good copies of the original US versions.

I think these were intended to reproduce the original uk versions, and those were added in for the American pressings after being first released as singles. I think.

I didn't realize the UK pressings were different. It now makes sense to me why How Soon is Now has always felt out of place on Meat in Murder....

I have the Canadian pressings of these albums, and i have to assume they are the some as the US pressings in sound quality. I'll have to check out the Steve Hoffman thread to see what others are saying about the reisuess... I don't have Strangeways but have been wanting to pick up the Rhino reissue.

I have found just about every Smiths single or LP cheaply. Either found them at a garage sale, used store credit or traded for it. This is the stuff I have. I'd swear original pressings and just be patient instead of forking over cash for reissues:

• Smiths, The - "Hatful of Hollow" (Rough 76/UK pressing/gatefold sleeve)

• Smiths, The - "How Soon Is Now" (Sire/12" maxi single/45 RPM)

• Smiths, The - "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" (RTT 186/UK pressing/12" single)

• Smiths, The - "Ask" (RTT 194/UK pressing/12" single)

• Smiths, The - "Strangeways, Here We come" (Sire 1-25649/first US press)

• Smiths, The - "The Queen Is Dead" (Sire 1-25426/first US press)

• Smiths, The - "What Difference Does It Make?" (RTT 146/UK pressing/12" single)

• Smiths, The - "William, It Was Really Nothing" (RTT 166/UK pressing/12" single)

• Smiths, The ‎– "Louder Than Bombs" (2xLP/Sire/US pressing)

• Smiths, The ‎– "Meat Is Murder" (Sire 1-25269/first US press)

• Smiths, The ‎– "Panic" (Sire 0-20544/US press/12")

• Smiths, The ‎– "The Smiths" (Sire ‎1-25065/first pressing)

Right; but since they seemingly reissue, repackage, remaster every few years, I hope they'll put out reworked versions of the original US pressings someday. Unlike HSIN, I can't get that version of This Charming Man on any other good compilation (I'm not into buying singles, even though the B-sides sound great).

Re-evaluate the sooooooongs

I have found just about every Smiths single or LP cheaply. Either found them at a garage sale, used store credit or traded for it. This is the stuff I have. I'd swear original pressings and just be patient instead of forking over cash for reissues:

• Smiths, The - "Hatful of Hollow" (Rough 76/UK pressing/gatefold sleeve)

• Smiths, The - "How Soon Is Now" (Sire/12" maxi single/45 RPM)

• Smiths, The - "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" (RTT 186/UK pressing/12" single)

• Smiths, The - "Ask" (RTT 194/UK pressing/12" single)

• Smiths, The - "Strangeways, Here We come" (Sire 1-25649/first US press)

• Smiths, The - "The Queen Is Dead" (Sire 1-25426/first US press)

• Smiths, The - "What Difference Does It Make?" (RTT 146/UK pressing/12" single)

• Smiths, The - "William, It Was Really Nothing" (RTT 166/UK pressing/12" single)

• Smiths, The ‎– "Louder Than Bombs" (2xLP/Sire/US pressing)

• Smiths, The ‎– "Meat Is Murder" (Sire 1-25269/first US press)

• Smiths, The ‎– "Panic" (Sire 0-20544/US press/12")

• Smiths, The ‎– "The Smiths" (Sire ‎1-25065/first pressing)

I already hate you lol