Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho

As a dad of a super fan, I just saw and met them in August, I went from no interest in their music at all to a self described fall out dad. I heard the singles be released one after another and thought "man, they rushed this record to cash in, it is a sell out". Then after it released, I have really began to appreciate it. Almost every track has single potential, and it is just my gut, but 4th of July will be every where this spring/summer. Patrick is an amazing talent vocally and as a musician. They are a band with a sense of humor. Just watch the Dance, dance, dance video. Looking forward to seeing and meeting the again on the boys of ZUMMER tour.

people like you make it so hard for people like me to continue to love this band

I am helping my wife with the school play this year and I heard her students talking about Fall Out Boy and I was like I loved fall out boy when I was in high school...they all looked at me confused because they didn't know that there were albums before Save Rock and Roll...

It made me feel old...and sad

Same. Recently I was watching "Thriller" from the Live In Phoenix DVD on YouTube... and a kid commented "wait.... I thought this was gonna be The Phoenix??? Why do they look different? What song is this?" Oh, god.

It's interesting to me because Fall Out Boy are kinda at the same point in their career that Green Day was at when they returned with American Idiot. I became a fan of Green Day at that time, and wasn't really aware of their past works since I was young then. It feels like the same thing all over again. FOB have been around for about 14 years now, there are kids out there who are just discovering them. Crazy. 

Same. Recently I was watching "Thriller" from the Live In Phoenix DVD on YouTube... and a kid commented "wait.... I thought this was gonna be The Phoenix??? Why do they look different? What song is this?" Oh, god.

It's interesting to me because Fall Out Boy are kinda at the same point in their career that Green Day was at when they returned with American Idiot. I became a fan of Green Day at that time, and wasn't really aware of their past works since I was young then. It feels like the same thing all over again. FOB have been around for about 14 years now, there are kids out there who are just discovering them. Crazy. 

That is such a good point...I hadn't thought about it like that.

It is just crazy because when Take This To Your Grave came out, that album hit me so hard. I had such an emotional reaction to it as a teenager that even though I love the next 3 albums none of them ever took the place of Take This To Your Grave for me. It is so interesting to see kids going through that same thing with save rock and roll and this album.

For the record, I hate SRAR and this new album and find them unlistenable, but I understand why people like them and what its like to have an album resonate with you like that. Their new sound just doesn't hit me emotionally but it is cool to see a whole new round of people getting into the same band I was into at the same age for the same reasons. 

• 3 weeks later...

SRC has an LP version of this listed with a price tag of $20 and a release date of May 5th. I'm guessing that would make it a 12"? Pre-order up now:

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Fall-Out-Boy-%252d-American-Beauty%7B47%7DAmerican-Psycho-LP.html

I'm expecting Amazon and other retailers to get this as well? Just a guess.

I am helping my wife with the school play this year and I heard her students talking about Fall Out Boy and I was like I loved fall out boy when I was in high school...they all looked at me confused because they didn't know that there were albums before Save Rock and Roll...

It made me feel old...and sad

I got one for you, my fiance' and I are 8 years apart, when they (FOB) went out for the Underdogs and Black Clouds tour we were both at the concert, I was in college drinking beers with my friends while at the venue, she was in 8th grade with her mom and best friend! 

Edit: No we didn't meet at the concert!  :wacko:

SRC has an LP version of this listed with a price tag of $20 and a release date of May 5th. I'm guessing that would make it a 12"? Pre-order up now:

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Fall-Out-Boy-%252d-American-Beauty%7B47%7DAmerican-Psycho-LP.html

I'm expecting Amazon and other retailers to get this as well? Just a guess.

Yeah. I saw this. Holding out in hopes Amazon or someone else put up a preorder.

• 1 month later...

After seeing how many 1,000s of copies of folie a deux and sr&r were pumped out, was there ever really any danger of this not having a standard vinyl release?

By the way, I agree with the earlier sentiments in this thread.  This is easily and by far my least favorite album.  I've listened 4 or 5 times, and there at least 3 tracks that I just skip now.  Not the case at all with any previous album.  I listened to folie a deux more in the first 2 days after it came out than I have AB/AP in 2 months.

After seeing how many 1,000s of copies of folie a deux and sr&r were pumped out, was there ever really any danger of this not having a standard vinyl release?

By the way, I agree with the earlier sentiments in this thread.  This is easily and by far my least favorite album.  I've listened 4 or 5 times, and there at least 3 tracks that I just skip now.  Not the case at all with any previous album.  I listened to folie a deux more in the first 2 days after it came out than I have AB/AP in 2 months.

Just out of curiosity, what are the songs you skip? FAD is easily my favorite album by them... has been since it was released. But AB/AP I also find incredibly solid, but in a very different way. You can't look at it as a Rock record... you've got to look at is a POP/rock (notice the emphasis on the pop!) record, which understandably can be hard to do

Just out of curiosity, what are the songs you skip? FAD is easily my favorite album by them... has been since it was released. But AB/AP I also find incredibly solid, but in a very different way. You can't look at it as a Rock record... you've got to look at is a POP/rock (notice the emphasis on the pop!) record, which understandably can be hard to do

I really really love AB/AP now, it's probably my most listened to album of the year hands down, I have no idea what switch flipped to make me love it though.