Cartridge Questions

Pointless if you're upgrade. For $100-200 you'd get a 2M Red, Sumiko Pearl, etc. Same carts that will come new on whatever table you'd buy...

i get that but i'm looking ahead to when i do upgrade and have a second setup for the basement.  i mean would a cart under 100 dollars be better than the stanton 500EE i have now??  or would you stick with the stanton?

I'm using a Pickering XV-15.

Hey Brüsker Dü someone lent me an old table Technics with a Pickering XV-15 on it. I was going to try putting a whole new cartridge on it but you say you like it so now Im thinking of replacing the stylus. Do you just get one that says Pickering in the description like this or are there better ones that are compatible with this cartridge. I would like to get it up and running for cheap and give it back to my friend since I have a working table and he is getting interested now. He won't care if it doesn't sound too great but I would like to try it out a bit first.  ;) 

Also thinking about a new headshell to replace the generic black one on it but only if it works and he lets me keep it.

Hey Brüsker Dü someone lent me an old table Technics with a Pickering XV-15 on it. I was going to try putting a whole new cartridge on it but you say you like it so now Im thinking of replacing the stylus. Do you just get one that says Pickering in the description like this or are there better ones that are compatible with this cartridge. I would like to get it up and running for cheap and give it back to my friend since I have a working table and he is getting interested now. He won't care if it doesn't sound too great but I would like to try it out a bit first.  ;)

Also thinking about a new headshell to replace the generic black one on it but only if it works and he lets me keep it.

I'm no authority on cartridges, but I think that the XV-15 does have its own specific replacement styli. You can find one here or by searching for "Pickering XV-15 stylus" elsewhere.

The styli are plentiful and cheap. But the actual cartridge, being "vintage" and apparently kind of weird for its time, is somewhat hard to come by and I haven't seen one listed for less than $140. Be careful not to damage it if you replace the stylus!

This is just coming from me doing a bit of digging around online, so one of the resident experts - allenh, slinch, kannibal, ajxd - would probably know much more about this kind of thing. 

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

In case anyone is thinking of picking up a Denon DL-110 (entry level MC), apparently, the prices on it are being hiked at the end of this week (already have jumped in US, but for some reason, quite cheap in Canada) from $159 (CAD) to $399 (CAD).

$159 at amazon.ca http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000I1YLG0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGNWQP078F8KV 

I'm guessing internationally, you should be able to get one from here without crazy shipping prices, hopefully. Has anyone had any experience with this cart? I've heard good things...

• 2 months later...

So I bought a Grado Gold about 5 months ago for my JVC direct drive turntable, and it was a huge jump from the previous cart. Last month at Insound's sale, I picked up a Debut Carbon Esprit. Right off the go with the 2M Red, I found it was a huge improvement for my system - way more umph, and a lot brighter. I decided to switch the 2M Red to the Gold (though I've changed over cartridges before, I did not do a good job at this and had to take the table to a shop to switch the cartridges for me...). The Gold on the Carbon is an interesting pairing. Definitely less bright and immediate than the 2M Red. The bass is a whole lot clearer, and the music sounds more crisp when played loud, but a bit more muddled when quiet (the brightness of the 2M Red made it sound a bit clearer when quieter, but it might have been a bit deceptive). The Gold sounds especially nice on folkier records like Josh Ritter and Joni Mitchell. Not bad at all on some punkier stuff, but I've mostly been listening to softer music since I made the switch. Overall I think it's an interesting pairing - based on a lot of feedback online, at this price point, I'd imagine the 2M Blue is probably a better pairing for the Carbon (given that it comes with a 2M Red factory). 

This isn't a question or anything - just thought I'd share as I know that the Debut Carbon is a popular turntable.

Ortofon are known for their bright sounding carts and if it's a sound you like then that's good but I always think it's a bit of the old trick of making things brighter to push the small details forward and then making you think it's clearer but after a while it get a bit grating.

I don't think it's intentional trickery on Ortofons part I think it's how they think it should sound and it is all down to what you like to hear but its not for me.

I'm also a Grado fan and they are by far the easiest to upgrade with a simple stylus swap to an 8MZ. Grado's usually get complained about for IGD because people don't align them properly so you were probably best off getting it done profesionally

Ortofon are known for their bright sounding carts and if it's a sound you like then that's good but I always think it's a bit of the old trick of making things brighter to push the small details forward and then making you think it's clearer but after a while it get a bit grating.

I don't think it's intentional trickery on Ortofons part I think it's how they think it should sound and it is all down to what you like to hear but its not for me.

I'm also a Grado fan and they are by far the easiest to upgrade with a simple stylus swap to an 8MZ. Grado's usually get complained about for IGD because people don't align them properly so you were probably best off getting it done profesionally

Yes, I'm definitely glad that the cart was installed properly (even though the reason I had to was because I broke the 2M Red's 4 prongs in the back while trying to disconnect it - bummer, since I was planning to sell it to offset some of the TT cost). I installed it on my last TT and it took a lot of finicking to get it to sound right, especially as it got closer to the middle. Right now it sounds like it was done right.

I'll have to take a look at the 8MZ. I have a bunch of life left in this cart, but it's always fun to look at what's next.

• 3 weeks later...

So my current cartridge is this (http://www.amazon.com/Ortofon-Omega-Single-Pack-Cartridge/dp/B001GVJ9XG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437855049&sr=8-2&keywords=ortofon+cartridge). It came with the basic U-Turn but lately I've noticed more and more distortion in the high end, like 's' sounds, 
so I think it's time to replace the needle. They don't sell replacement needles for that cartridge so I was wondering if this stylus (http://www.amazon.com/Ortofon-Pro-S-Replacement-Stylus/dp/B000ML4KT4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437855056&sr=8-5&keywords=ortofon+cartridge) would be compatible with the grey cartridge above? 

So my current cartridge is this (http://www.amazon.com/Ortofon-Omega-Single-Pack-Cartridge/dp/B001GVJ9XG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437855049&sr=8-2&keywords=ortofon+cartridge). It came with the basic U-Turn but lately I've noticed more and more distortion in the high end, like 's' sounds, 

so I think it's time to replace the needle. They don't sell replacement needles for that cartridge so I was wondering if this stylus (http://www.amazon.com/Ortofon-Pro-S-Replacement-Stylus/dp/B000ML4KT4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437855056&sr=8-5&keywords=ortofon+cartridge) would be compatible with the grey cartridge above? 

I'm not too sure, but why not replace the whole cartridge with a better one? I imagine you'll hear a pretty big sonic leap if you are willing to spend up to $100, and significantly more if you jump to $200.

The Ortofon OM10 is $69. The 2M Red is $100, and 2M Blue is $236.

Grado Black is $75, with a whole bunch going up the quality scale until the Grado Gold for $260. 

Shure M97xE is around $70, and if you want to go more affordable, Audio Technica AT95E is under $40. All would likely improve the sound (depending on the setup).

If you have a hi-fi store around you, most of the prices on cartridges are pretty standard, and I'd imagine they'd install it for you if you bring your table in. I installed a cartridge myself, but when it came to putting it on my new table, I brought it in and I'm so glad I did because it really improved the sound.

I'm not too sure, but why not replace the whole cartridge with a better one? I imagine you'll hear a pretty big sonic leap if you are willing to spend up to $100, and significantly more if you jump to $200.

The Ortofon OM10 is $69. The 2M Red is $100, and 2M Blue is $236.

Grado Black is $75, with a whole bunch going up the quality scale until the Grado Gold for $260. 

Shure M97xE is around $70, and if you want to go more affordable, Audio Technica AT95E is under $40. All would likely improve the sound (depending on the setup).

If you have a hi-fi store around you, most of the prices on cartridges are pretty standard, and I'd imagine they'd install it for you if you bring your table in. I installed a cartridge myself, but when it came to putting it on my new table, I brought it in and I'm so glad I did because it really improved the sound.

Thank you! I was considering spending a little more and upgrading the whole cart (no more than $60) but I feel like I might upgrade my table to a Pro-ject within the next year or so which would make a more expensive cart make less sense to buy now. I'll definitely look into the AT95E though. I have a record store in the area that should be able to align a new one, but their carts are quite a bit more expensive than Amazon based on what I looked at last time.