2nd Setup...

Just curious what everyones thoughts are on this.

I currently have this setup in my living right now...

• Debut Carbon w/ Acrylic Platter and Speed Box
  • Marantz 6004
  • Cambridge Audio S30's
  • HSU STF-2

My wife and I are converting our detached garage into an office and I'll be spending as much or more time out there and am considering a second setup out there. If I were to go ahead with it, do you guys think I should go with a similar setup? Or should I buy all different components. Here's what I'm thinking...

• Debut Carbon Esprit SB
  • Marantz 6004 or NAD D3020 (I'd need to a phono pre with the NAD)
  • EPOS Epic 2's

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this. I guess my concern is that I'm going to find out I like one of my setups significantly more and then not be able to enjoy the other one...

Also if anyone has any thoughts on the EPOS Epics or the NAD D3020 I'd love to hear those too.

Thanks.

Agree with ajxd and first thing I'd go with trying would be the Epos speakers.

I never sell anything or move it on to another system until i'm sure the shiny new thing actually is an upgrade, that and I struggle to sell the hifi I no longer use anyway, I dream up excuses why rooms need their own hifi system to the point where I have already built up a system for an extension on the rear of the house that I haven't had the plans drawn up for yet.

I bought a house in June so I finally had the room to have two systems. I refer to my upstairs setup as my 2nd system, but I like both setup's equally. Here's what I have upstairs:

Pro-ject Xpression III w/ 2m blue and speedbox

Rotel RA-812 amp

Cambridge Audio 551p phono pre

Mordaunt-Short Aviano 2's

I'm pretty happy with it as my 2nd system and don't have plans to upgrade it anytime soon.

I have the Epic 2's. Honestly, Im not really blown away by them. I felt they were lacking in the low end/low mids. Take it for what its worth though since I cant really push them as far as Id like in my apartment. I also think my amp isnt a good match. Hopefully you can demo before you buy.

They're only rated at 48hz....so not THAT low, but low enough.Rear ported speakers need specific placement off a wall, these say 4" but that seems really shallow. Maybe try pulling em out more?

They also need a 22" stand. Awkward height.

Yeah I do have them in an awkward position. I want to get proper stands but a little worried with the little one about to be running around the place. I kinda jumped the gun when I bought them.

Next time I spend that amount on speakers best believe Im testing them out first lol. Live and learn.

Half the fun of audio is getting new gear. When I moved from big floorstandings to smaller bookshelves, my fear was my cats knocking em over. Luckily the Sonus Fabers are slanted.

Audio > Children

One of my cats likes to try and sit on top of the big Mordaunt Short floorstanders that I have in the lounge, they are very big so there's no danger of him knocking them over but being as the cat and the speaker tops are the same colour he could hide very well.

Also with the same speakers our little girl was trained at a very early age that the dust covers in the centre of the cones are not buttons to be pressed. 

The Epos Epic 2's arrived today. Plugged them into my existing setup to get a quick listen (the new room won't be ready for me to set them up permanently for about a month. Upon first listen they sounded great. Pretty excited to break them in and turn them up a bit more. Still debating TT's. I'm not a fan of the look of the RPM line of Pro-Ject stuff otherwise I might be interested, ajxd.