is this record too wobbly? (video) and why does it matter?

So the only problem is the sound? It sounds totally fine and normal. Just thought maybe it was bad for the needle or something. Thank you so much I feel better now.

It's definitely warped, but the needle is riding it and it sounds okay, so you should be fine as is.  I wouldn't mess with it and risk making things worse, in terms of the record itself.  As for the player/arm/needle I think it should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I've heard that the trick where people tape a dime on the head of the cart wears the record out faster due to the additional weight.  I don't think it'll hurt or break the needle.  If anything it might wear slightly faster, but the difference is negligible.  Your needle is made or either sapphire or diamond and the record of PVC, so yeah.

Like that other person said though, maybe the needle suspension could be of concern?  I doubt it's enough to be worth worrying over.

It's definitely warped, but the needle is riding it and it sounds okay, so you should be fine as is. I wouldn't mess with it and risk making things worse, in terms of the record itself. As for the player/arm/needle I think it should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I've heard that the trick where people tape a dime on the head of the cart wears the record out faster due to the additional weight. I don't think it'll hurt or break the needle. If anything it might wear slightly faster, but the difference is negligible. Your needle is made or either sapphire or diamond and the record of PVC, so yeah.

Like that other person said though, maybe the needle suspension could be of concern? I doubt it's enough to be worth worrying over.

When you say it might wear slightly faster do you mean the record or the needle? Thank you

I've heard that the trick where people tape a dime on the head of the cart wears the record out faster due to the additional weight.  I don't think it'll hurt or break the needle.  If anything it might wear slightly faster, but the difference is negligible.  Your needle is made or either sapphire or diamond and the record of PVC, so yeah.

ajxd, you take this one, my heart cannot handle it...

Yes it is. Get one of these....works very well if you do exactly as it says. 

http://vinylflat.com/vinylflatproducts.html

To me it looks way too warped but it is playing so if you are happy then no issue, I wouldn't play it like that which is why I bought a vinyl flat

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That's the sort of thing owners of Crosleys do because the cheap plastic crap doesn't work properly.

All cartridges have a range that you can set the tracking force between and which if you exceed it will damage the cartridge suspension and wear your records out. that weight is usaully around 2 grams for most carts so think of a range of 1.8 to 2.2 grams as being normal and adding a penny or similar adds a lot more than that. 

There is only one proper reason to do this sort of thing and that is where you can get headshells for DJ turntables that have an added weight which is to re balance the arm as there isn't enough range in the balancing weight to accommodate the cart you are using and adding it at the cartridge end helps with jumping when playing in clubs etc but the tracking weight should still be within limits.

ajxd, you take this one, my heart cannot handle it...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That's the sort of thing owners of Crosleys do because the cheap plastic crap doesn't work properly.

All cartridges have a range that you can set the tracking force between and which if you exceed it will damage the cartridge suspension and wear your records out. that weight is usaully around 2 grams for most carts so think of a range of 1.8 to 2.2 grams as being normal and adding a penny or similar adds a lot more than that. 

There is only one proper reason to do this sort of thing and that is where you can get headshells for DJ turntables that have an added weight which is to re balance the arm as there isn't enough range in the balancing weight to accommodate the cart you are using and adding it at the cartridge end helps with jumping when playing in clubs etc but the tracking weight should still be within limits.

I never said he should tape a dime!  I was implying that he shouldn't because it'll just wear the record.  Just using the additional weigh analogy as evidence. It's science.  Jeez guys, I don't see where the confusion if if English is your first language.  Re-read what I said.  Never did I advise him to tape a dime to the cart.  Only using it as evidence that indeed the record will wear before the needle itself.

Basically the same thing you said, it's going to get pushed in and dig deeper and in the case of a warped record, possibly in a uneven fashion.

It shouldn't wear the actual needle any faster, the needle (if its a good one) is made of diamond. The only thing that cuts diamond is a more pure diamond.  Obviously the wax is going to give before the diamond does. Again, science.

I think if anything the record will wear differently/unevenly because of the warp.  But it seems to be tracking fine, it's not bouncing the needle off so I would say that whether it's too wobbly depends on personal preference in this case. 

You could also looking into trying one of those puck weights that go on top of the spindle.

Maybe my wording was confusing? So let me try to clear it up:

I've heard that the trick where people tape a dime on the head of the cart wears the record out faster due to the additional weight.  I don't think his wobbly record will hurt or break the needle.

Maybe my wording was confusing? So let me try to clear it up:

I've heard that the trick where people tape a dime on the head of the cart wears the record out faster due to the additional weight.  I don't think his wobbly record will hurt or break the needle.

<<insert clever backwards pedaling gif here>>

<<insert clever backwards pedaling gif here>>

Not at all, read my posts.

It would be bonkers for him to tape a dime, it's already going to wear unevenly.  Additional weight will only exasperate the effect.

​Critical reading skills guys.  If English is your first language, you fail.  Otherwise you get a pass.

If you have any better advice, then help the guy out and set him straight.

Your comment was ambiguous at best.

Given that the purpose of a paragraph is it separate ideas, a critical reader would have to assume that you were suggesting that taping a dime to the headshell (the first sentence of your paragraph) and that additional sentences within the same paragraph were referring back to the opening sentance rather than back to a previous paragraph.

Rather than insulting people who clearly have a better grasp of the English language than you, just move along.

Your comment was ambiguous at best.

Given that the purpose of a paragraph is it separate ideas, a critical reader would have to assume that you were suggesting that taping a dime to the headshell (the first sentence of your paragraph) and that additional sentences within the same paragraph were referring back to the opening sentance rather than back to a previous paragraph.

Rather than insulting people who clearly have a better grasp of the English language than you, just move along.

waynesworld-cool-story-bro.jpg

btw Paragraphs have indentations and I don't see any there.

Yeah man, English isn't my first language and I still know enough grammar to understand that in this excerpt:

I've heard that the trick where people tape a dime on the head of the cart wears the record out faster due to the additional weight.  I don't think it'll hurt or break the needle. 

The bolded "it" directly refers to "the trick". Not bashing your English skills because writing on internet message boards isn't really where people put all their knowledge and effort in, but if you decide to bring up grammar, make sure it wasn't you who made the error.

Why don't you move along?  You're not providing any advice.  And now you seem to think you're an English professor? GFY.

You're the one in here offering shit advice and then trying to school people on their English skills.

par·a·graph
ˈperəˌɡraf/
noun
noun: paragraph; plural noun: paragraphs
  1. 1.
    a distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.
    synonyms: section, subdivision, part, subsection, division, portion, segment, passage More
    "the concluding paragraph"
    "a paragraph in the newspaper"

Yeah man, English isn't my first language and I still know enough grammar to understand that in this excerpt:

The bolded "it" directly refers to "the trick". Not bashing your English skills because writing on internet message boards isn't really where people put all their knowledge and effort in, but if you decide to bring up grammar, make sure it wasn't you who made the error.

Think what you want, that's not what I meant.  I type as if I am speaking in conversation.  If you read everything there is enough evidence that this is obviously the case and that you are wrong in your assumption.

Not sure how many times I have to write this but I was reinforcing the point that if anything between a needle and a record the record will give first. PVC vs. diamond

Your needle is made or either sapphire or diamond and the record of PVC, so yeah.

who would win?

SO if your internet-peen is done swelling up, the guy started a thread for advice, so give him some better advice then instead of trying to make someone look wrong by taking the word it's and having it mean whatever is convenient for the growth of your e-peen.