Anyone Collecting Nintendo Amiibo?

deltadon

Our Wii just died. I've been debating getting a WiiU. The Amiibo business is intriguing. Tell me a bit about it. At first glance I dig that they plan to unlock old SNES games to use them in etc. I think I only heard of this yesterday - Link seems pretty popular for a dude in tights. Then again we have a hundreds of pages long Wrestling Thread here. Seriously, share a bit on it. 

Our Wii just died. I've been debating getting a WiiU. The Amiibo business is intriguing. Tell me a bit about it. At first glance I dig that they plan to unlock old SNES games to use them in etc. I think I only heard of this yesterday - Link seems pretty popular for a dude in tights. Then again we have a hundreds of pages long Wrestling Thread here. Seriously, share a bit on it. 

Basically they are VERY well made and detailed figures that have an NFC in the bottom. This is compatible with the Wii U gamepad, New 3ds XL, and in the summer 2d/3ds systems with an adapter. 

They provide some sort of extra content to the game depending on the game. It was launched alongside Smash Bros for Wii U mid November last year. They are still rolling out game compatibility. 

Overall the consensus of collectors are grabbing them because they look great, and not so much so for the in game content, but thats an added bonus.

Here is a chart that explains what they do for current and soon to be released titles.

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility/

I am a huge Nintendo fan, and will usually jump on the bandwagon for things like these.  I am declining to start a collection of Amiibo though.  If you think the secondhand market is poisonous for records, you should check out the eBay prices for some of the "harder-to-find" figures.  I'll probably get Mega Man and the Pokémon characters, and leave it at that.  If Nintendo decides to increase production on these, I might change my mind

Yeah if you are trying to complete the entire set its pretty rough.

Basically people are trying to buy these things in a 3+ grouping of the same figure (usually to hoard trade or scalp) which is not helping stock issues.

If you have a Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked account they are about $10. DK, Yoshi, and Peach are on sale for $10 making GCU price $8.

This Friday I am trying to get Meta Knight and King DeDeDe.

Nintendo confirmed this week that amiibo cards are launching later in the year at a much cheaper price point so if you just want to unlock content it'll be cheaper and more widely available. The figures just look really cool though and Fire Emblem figures etc so rarely see any kind of western release.

I saw a complaint where you couldn't scan the figure if it was still sealed in its box (for collect-abilities purpose) bu I guess that makes sense because people would just take their WiiU gamepad or whatever to the store and just start scanning figures. 

They'd have to bring their whole Wii U with them for that to work lol

So far I have Luigi, Mario, Kirby, Link, Wii Fit Trainer, and Little Mac.

I preordered Megaman from Gamestop when I could, but I got an email a week or 2 ago saying "they'll send it when they get it," so my hopes aren't high.  Although I did read Megaman and Sonic got delayed in the US?  Who knows...