Sun Kil Moon - Universal Themes (PO Later This Year?)

Ya know, I was super bummed out when Minus The Bear put out Planet Of Ice and when Modern Life Is War put out Midnight in America and the first time I heard Float On on the radio. People change, so do their inspirations and motivations, and along with it goes their music. It's just a different direction for Mark. And yea, dude is making a hobby out of turning out as many limited releases as possible in a year. What're you gonna do?

There are a couple songs that really didn't grab me on my first listen, but Birds of Flim, Garden of Lavender, and the last track are excellent. Benji took me awhile to warm up to (I think it's incredible now), and maybe I'll warm up to this album, but that one one song with the electric guitar and him rambling eh... 

Ya know, I was super bummed out when Minus The Bear put out Planet Of Ice and when Modern Life Is War put out Midnight in America and the first time I heard Float On on the radio. People change, so do their inspirations and motivations, and along with it goes their music. It's just a different direction for Mark. And yea, dude is making a hobby out of turning out as many limited releases as possible in a year. What're you gonna do?

Honestly, its a fine record, but if he put out more like AFP Id probably quit buying them.  I appreciate the new direction, and can see the growth from ATL->Perils->Benji and look forward to listening to this one.  I love all the iterations of his music, but having seen what I feel are 5 distinct changes in style at this point, Im excited to see what he does next.

but that one one song with the electric guitar and him rambling eh... 

Which one? haha.

With a Sort Of Grace I Walked to the Bathroom to Cry is one of the real standout tracks of the album for me. It's such a departure from what I expected but I really like how he's exploring this new sound of this on this song. I can't say the same about Ali/Spinks 2 though.. not really feeling it there.

Does anyone who likes this new mark kozelek, also like the pre-admiral fell kozelek? I can't seem to find anyone and it seems that mark now has two very different sets of fans. I've expressed the same sentiment as GreatGreen in the Benji thread. This shit is tired and it feels like a total cash grab while putting out bullshit music he hastily put together in 2 weeks in a studio.

He lost me when his songs began to sound like finger exercises on spanish guitar. Up until then it was all fine and dandy. Pulled me back in with Perils which is up there with his best work. Benji bordered on banal and embarrassing but all the fanfare on that record made me feel like I was in the minority. Fair to say the outlook for this one isn't good. 

He lost me when his songs began to sound like finger exercises on spanish guitar. Up until then it was all fine and dandy. Pulled me back in with Perils which is up there with his best work. Benji bordered on banal and embarrassing but all the fanfare on that record made me feel like I was in the minority. Fair to say the outlook for this one isn't good. 

I'm pretty much in total agreement with you.

Does anyone who likes this new mark kozelek, also like the pre-admiral fell kozelek? I can't seem to find anyone and it seems that mark now has two very different sets of fans. I've expressed the same sentiment as GreatGreen in the Benji thread. This shit is tired and it feels like a total cash grab while putting out bullshit music he hastily put together in 2 weeks in a studio.

Seems to me the honest reality of it all is that those of us who have been fans since the 90's are not going to get it or understand why he would take such a radical style shift. And by now I should have come to terms with the fact that he's not going back either. A while back I was remembering when he first shifted to finger picking with Tiny Cities and that was the first big blow up us fans had about his change in style. If only I had known then he would end up falling so far in terms of form and function, I would have moved on..

Seems to me the honest reality of it all is that those of us who have been fans since the 90's are not going to get it or understand why he would take such a radical style shift. And by now I should have come to terms with the fact that he's not going back either. A while back I was remembering when he first shifted to finger picking with Tiny Cities and that was the first big blow up us fans had about his change in style. If only I had known then he would end up falling so far in terms of form and function, I would have moved on..

yeah me too.  I like the his new stuff here and there.  some of benji and definitely a few other things..

however.  sometimes when i listen to him I think of this..