NASCAR Discussion

I'm not a NASCAR fan but I live 25 minutes from the Daytona Speedway so it's kinda hard not to get excited this time of year. One of the shows I produce is broadcasting live from the fan zone tonight and one was pre-recorded this morning from the fishing tournament at the lake in the infield. The host had to be there at 5 this morning. With how cold it's been, I don't envy him.

Bittersweet season for me with #24 retiring. Don't really think I'm going to be interested enough to watch many races next year. First time in 22 years I won't be watching every race.

But yeah, hell of a second race last night. Danica got shit on but glad she got in and actually passed Hamlin in the process. If that was a guy Hamlin dumped that would have been a guaranteed brawl on pit road. I was hoping Stewart was going to jump in.

Yea its gonna be weird with the 24 being Chase Elliot next year

I'm also glad Danica got in Hamlins face. He has wrecked her twice this week and he just said she was loose (sick burn) but he needs to know it was his fault. Jr. has looked insanely fast all weekend and it looks like he might be a favorite. 

Still pulling for Keselowski

I wish i could watch the 500 this year but work has other ideas. Going to watch the Busch (Xfinity) race at least.

I'm not a NASCAR fan but I live 25 minutes from the Daytona Speedway so it's kinda hard not to get excited this time of year. One of the shows I produce is broadcasting live from the fan zone tonight and one was pre-recorded this morning from the fishing tournament at the lake in the infield. The host had to be there at 5 this morning. With how cold it's been, I don't envy him.

Yea its weird that it has been that cold down there. Living in Michigan I still envy some of their temps haha

guess I'm not going to want kurt busch on my fantasy team this week

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/12355143/nascar-driver-kurt-busch-suspended-indefinitely

Wow that is nuts. This is the first I've heard about it. 

I wonder who is gonna get his spot 

Awesome thread! Always been a huge NASCAR fan. Watching the truck race now and pulling for the Kyle Busch Motorsports trucks. Mainly Erik Jones. In the Sprint Cup my favorite driver is Kyle Busch, I also like Keselowski and Hamlin. 

I personally can't stand Kyle Busch but i do have to say he looked fast as hell in that duel

There's rarely a middle ground on Kyle, he's a love or hate kind of guy. I've been a fan of the #18 car since Bobby Labonte drove it, and I was a Darrell Waltrip fan before that. All the Gibbs and Hendrick cars look stout as hell for the 500. I'm pretty excited for it. I grew up like 30 minutes from Talladega and I've been to probably 15 races there. If you've never been to a race, there's nothing like it.

There's rarely a middle ground on Kyle, he's a love or hate kind of guy. I've been a fan of the #18 car since Bobby Labonte drove it, and I was a Darrell Waltrip fan before that. All the Gibbs and Hendrick cars look stout as hell for the 500. I'm pretty excited for it. I grew up like 30 minutes from Talladega and I've been to probably 15 races there. If you've never been to a race, there's nothing like it.

I would love to see a race at Talladega. I love the races there. Michigan is pretty boring compared to that but its something. Would also love to see a race at Bristol

That wreck was brutal. They just announced he is out for the 500 which really sucks! As a fan, i've never been in this situation and it makes me lose quite a bit of interest. I'll still watch it but I won't care about it anywhere near as much. There needs to be safer barriers at ever wall of every track. There is no excuse not to have them. On the other hand, as a type 1 diabetic myself, congrats to Ryan Reed today. I love when the young guys do well. 

That wreck was nasty. Really makes no sense not to have safer barriers around the entire track on every wall. Would like to see maybe Josh Wise replace Kyle for at least this race. 

Besides the Kyle Busch wreck that race was awesome. I got home from work just as the first big one happened, also glad Regan Smith was okay after that flip. It was also really cool to see Reed win. Haven't seen someone that excited to win in a while and it was really cool. 

Getting really excited for this season

I will never understand why they don't have safer barriers around every wall of every track. I thought Gordon's crash where he tore the front off the car off was enough. Not a Busch fan but man I hope he's OK. And I get why these young Cup guys race every chance they get but I have no clue why sponsors don't have rules against it. Seems like every pro sport has a clause against it. It's not like the Cup sponsors for drivers are the same when they race other events.

Well that was the worst possible outcome to that race. Guess I got my hopes up with all the pre race Gordon hype. And for the most part he delivered. Part of me can't wait till he's retired and next year I can be like every other non race fan and wait for all the big wrecks cause I won't care.

it was the worst outcome for gordon, but I think it was one of the better outcomes for the race.  logano had a strong car all day, and he was in front down the stretch.  I feel like the "worst" possible outcome would have been someone who didn't deserve to win getting up front due to a crash-fest and then automatically qualifying for the chase

oh, and I feel like nascar is a great sport to watch if you don't have anyone in particular to cheer for.  get in a fantasy league and pick a bunch of different drivers each week.  unlike other sports, there's only one "game" to watch each week and all of the drivers are involved.

logano had a strong car all day, and he was in front down the stretch.  I feel like the "worst" possible outcome would have been someone who didn't deserve to win getting up front due to a crash-fest and then automatically qualifying for the chase

I see your point. I will state, I don't like Logano at all. His dad needs to stay out of the garage. He did have a strong car. 10 cars including Danica had strong cars. Nothing new here, happens every year. Just hate when restrictor plate races determine seasons. Like I said, glad when this will be over for me next year. Crash away!