NASCAR Discussion

Rumors out there that Gibbs is close to a 9 race deal with David Ragan for the 18 car this year, which makes me think Kyle will miss most if not all of the year. I have a strong suspicion that the Ragan deal has a lot to do with his and Gibbs strong religious views, and I really hate that. Ragan, for the most part, sucks and I wouldn't be able to pull for the 18 car with that turd driving it. I swear after he won Talladega a couple of years ago, he thanked god about a million times, as if gods invisible god hands were doing all the driving and he himself had nothing to do with the victory. it was real stupid.

Looks like Hamiln, Erik Jones, and Boris Said are splitting time in the 54 for the next 14 Xfinity races. I guess that shows Kyle isn't returning for quite a bit of time. Not a huge Busch fan but it really sucks to see someone have to miss so much time because of the carelessness of NASCAR this year. Not expecting to see him in the Chase at all. 

NASCAR isnt doing very well this year with the way their running things, i.e. qualifying last week. 

Loving the new race package this year so far, although they've only had it one race. Cars seem to be passing more and a bit more competitive then last year. 

NASCAR isnt doing very well this year with the way their running things, i.e. qualifying last week. 

I'm not going to say I hate the new qualifying because the #24 didn't even get on track but for the announcers to say it was all team error is stupid. Clearly NASCAR didn't communicate something very well to cause 4 former champions to not get through inspection on time. 

Did anyone see the throwback schemes Keselowski is running this year? As a long time fan, I love the classic schemes and i can't wait to see these on the track, and possibly on my shelf in die cast form. anyone else here a collector of die casts?

I have a few die casts. I would love the Midnight scheme Keselowski is running at MIS this year. I've been trying to get back into collecting but they get so damn expensive

• 1 month later...

Bristol was awesome like always.  Rain delay red flags fucking suck but the racing was great!  Glad they waited out for those last 2 laps.  Nothing I hate more then when a race is called early for rain.

Also RIP Steve Byrnes. Fucking horrible.

This right here.  Guy was great at what he did and it was obvious he was a good guy and everyone at the track liked him.  Fuck cancer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I like them all too.

For the lazy:

Traveling safety team

NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Office Steve O’Donnell kicked off the seminar with the news of a partnership with American Medical Response (AMR) to enhance its at-track medical car of drivers and crew members at NASCAR events.

The alliance provides an additional step to improving medical care of drivers and the ability to monitor a driver’s condition from the incident at the track through their treatment and aftercare of the incident.

O’Donnell detailed how the new partnership will serve to improve the level of care already provided at tracks that host NASCAR events. Now, a licensed medical doctor and paramedics will ride along NASCAR track services to respond to an on-track incident.

While NASCAR isn’t the first racing organization in the U.S. to implement a traveling medical staff, it’s a welcome addition in providing the best care possible to the drivers.

Damaged cars

As first reported by Motorsport.com reporter Lee Spencer, NASCAR also provided details on one of the biggest changes for this season – damaged cars competing in races. Starting in Daytona a car that has to go to the garage due to accident damage will not be allowed to return to competition. This is a big change from previous years when teams could almost rebuild the body of a car before returning to action.

The new rule limits body work to cars only on pit road with a five-minute time limit. Only original parts can be used to repair the car. Teams will also have to follow pit road speed when coming in for service. A penalty of 15 seconds to be added to the five-minute time limit for speeding or hitting the commitment cone.

Inspection changes

Also announced was a new procedure for pre-race inspections. Previously if a team fails a stage in pre-race inspection they could work on the issue and just go back to the inspection stage they failed. Now if a car fails any of the stages, they must go back through all stages of pre-race inspection.

While most old-school fans — and even some newer fans — have complained about constant changes every year to the race formats and points structures, the dwindling television ratings and track attendance proved that something needed to be done. I applaud NASCAR for thinking outside of the box.

Whether or not the changes work, NASCAR and its partners deserve the opportunity to see how the new formats and points structure evolve and whether fans are engaged in the process. The proof will come in increased fan traffic. 

Stages and bonus points

More details also explained on how points will be awards during the regular season and segments for races at Daytona International Speedway. 

Some changes may take some getting used to such as the Daytona 500 being declared an official race after the second segment, which will be Lap 120 instead of Lap 100 the old halfway point of the race.

Drivers will be awarded playoff points for winning a segment (1) to winning the race (5) and those points will be carried over to the playoffs. Done are the days of bonus points for leading a lap or the most laps, etc. Hopefully, the segment points will add to the excitement midway through a 500-mile race on a 1.5-mile track.

The top-10 finishers will also get bonus playoff points after the regular season ends at Richmond International Raceway as a reward for their accomplishment. This is something drivers and fans alike have asked for since the inception of the ‘Chase’ which will be now be replaced by Playoffs.

These changes, along with aerodynamic modifications already announced last year, could make for some exciting races or big headaches for NASCAR officials. One thing is certain, though, the 2017 season will be unlike any other we’ve seen in NASCAR and I hope that equals better racing.

The racing has been competitive and watchable for an older viewer like myself, but for today’s millennial fan, hopefully, some of these changes will attract their attention. Something NASCAR and the entire industry desperately need.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 5:23 PM, elcowboyrojo said:

The new rules will be interesting. I think the Stages will make the races more exciting throughout. Normally I would just tune into the first maybe 40 laps of a race then see what happens at the end

I thought the stages made Daytona a lot more interesting (more aggressive driving and more strategy when compared to "drive in a single file line for 170 laps and make no attempt to pass").  I'm curious how things will work at a more conventional track.

On a side note, I'm not sure how I feel about Jeff Gordon as a commentator.  I mean, he provides good info and whatnot, but I feel like he is too quick to defend the Hendricks drivers (e.g., McMurray is too aggressive for sticking his nose in a hole when Jimmie is trying/failing to block two lanes, but when Chase does it ~40 laps later it's because the other guy didn't know that Chase had such a good run going).

I'm not sure what to make of the stages. I don't like 100 laps of single file racing either but it seems like it made it into a wreck fest. I'll admit I don't follow NASCAR that much after Gordon retired (still not sure what to make of his commentating). But it just seems like they're grasping for straws to make it more entertaining. I think making Monster the sponsor was a make or break move. NASCAR was always a very traditional sport. Now they have girls in leather bras in victory lane. It's interesting. There's a lot of young talent there but I think they're losing the audience.

15 hours ago, harryq said:

I thought the stages made Daytona a lot more interesting (more aggressive driving and more strategy when compared to "drive in a single file line for 170 laps and make no attempt to pass").  I'm curious how things will work at a more conventional track.

On a side note, I'm not sure how I feel about Jeff Gordon as a commentator.  I mean, he provides good info and whatnot, but I feel like he is too quick to defend the Hendricks drivers (e.g., McMurray is too aggressive for sticking his nose in a hole when Jimmie is trying/failing to block two lanes, but when Chase does it ~40 laps later it's because the other guy didn't know that Chase had such a good run going).

I'm not sure if it's the new rule to eliminate shop repairs and only fix cars in the pit, but damn there were a ton of wrecks SAT & SUN. Not to mention the number of red flag stoppages that made the races drag on. I was at the Race Saturday, and maybe it was because it was a bumch of rooks first time but man they were causing multi-car pileups every 4 laps. Again, not sure if its because of the cars being jerry rigged or just poor driving but if they keep that up they may lose some viewership.

The stages are awesome, you can definitely see the movement about 6 laps to go in a stage.