Built to Spill - Untethered Moon

It's pretty clear this falls in the "RSD first" category, right? This will be widely available everywhere. Just available on vinyl a week before normal street date on RSD. I also think the /500 variant randomly inserted is fun. Not something I'll actively try to get, as I'm more concerned with the music on the discs than the color of said discs. But bonus if I do!

It's pretty clear this falls in the "RSD first" category, right? This will be widely available everywhere. Just available on vinyl a week before normal street date on RSD. I also think the /500 variant randomly inserted is fun. Not something I'll actively try to get, as I'm more concerned with the music on the discs than the color of said discs. But bonus if I do!

I think so. The RSD press had /500 green and /4,500 gold. Once those were gone it was repressed on black vinyl and it's readily available now.

Atrocious cover art on this album.

Built to Spill played a set of all new songs at last year's Treefort festival in Boise. Here's a download of the live set if you want to get a feel for what the new album is going to sound like.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=503627&hit=1

Edit: here's a non torrent link as well. 

https://mega.co.nz/#!rYgA3b7T!cuxo2sV9Dg3HmUES4bRv3Ff_Phy9WzdtJQiNHbeBYV8

Thanks. DLing now.

BtS have a few of my favorite album covers.

That new one sucks and will totally appeal to the indie chumps at all the Death Cab shows BtS are opening at. I'm still skeptical about this album all around. The lion sample in Living Zoo reminded me of some Flaming Lips crap.

Back in '92 when I created Built to Spill with Madden 37 these were the sliders I gave them:

- Overall: 100

- Guitars: 100

- Bass: 100

- Drums: 100

- Vocals: 100

- Lyrics: 99

- Live Performance: 300

- Album Art: 1

See, if their album art were any better then their overall score would go above 100 and that's just not possible. It's not in the game.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really not feeling this new stuff at all but I'm not sure what I was expecting after the past two albums. I still plan on giving this an honest shot but eh. Not my cup of tea at all.

I'll go back to being excited for this though.

• 3 weeks later...

I generally don't bother with RSD, although I do like to support local record stores in general. But for a new Built to Spill album release? I'm going. I REALLY REALLY want one of the transparent blue ones, and do wish it was a pre-order thing. Though there's a chance I would have missed that anyway, so perhaps this isn't so bad. One thing I wonder is if they're labeled as such, if there's any identifier that this one's blue and this one's normal. I also wondered, based on their wording, if those that pre-order could also end up with a blue one. It doesn't specifically say that the blue ones are limited to RSD, just that they're part of the first run. Anyway, I'm planning to go rather early on RSD in case they are identified as blue or not. I doubt they would be, but I don't know.

the album art though... seriously. It's got to be one of the worst in their releases. Maybe it'll grow on me.

The album cover isn't awesome, and it's very "internet", but I strongly disliked the cover for There Is No Enemy so this is somewhat refreshing to me. It's more light-hearted. Perfect From Now On and Keep It Like a Secret are really great covers - not just for BtS, but overall I've always really liked them.