cartridge thread that y'all are gonna hate

I finally feel the need to post something about this... In the past 6 months or so, I've somewhat been avoiding listening to records... Like I'll get a new one and listen to it and then just put it on the shelf and not take it out for months... This is because it just doesn't sound good... I have an ortofon 2m red on a project debut carbon with good speakers and a receiver... This system works fantastically with mp3s and ccassettes, but the turntable just sounds like shit... I just changed the stylus on the red and it helped for maybe 3 record plays and the sound quality started to decrease... I clean my needle and records often so that's not the problem.. I have set up the cartridge step by step to instruction manuals and videos... I just think at this point that I fucking hate the 2m red... I need a new cartridge and I'm not rich, so any suggestions for a sub $100 cartridge that's even slightly better than this hunk of garbage?

The problem surely lies elsewhere. I've been rocking my 2M Red for 2 years now without a problem. I'm sure a lot of other users would say the same. Make sure you clean your stylus from back to front with minimal contact.

Have you checked your wires on the headshell?

Does it sound distortioned (overpowered)? Or too low (muffed)? Does sound cuts from the left or right?

Do you need to adjust the volume for a record compared to a cassette?

Are you sure your preamp is set straight? Or do you use a Phono input on your amp? 

So Zeb, the balancing method is Ok, but it's hardly accurate. Based on your limited info, here's what I'd suggest (in this order):

1. Buy the $20 digital scale a few of us picked up off of Amazon recently. It's accurate and it will ensure proper VTF of any turntable and cartridge.

2. Try a stand alone phono pre. As some have mentioned, the built-in phono pre of your amp may not be working properly, or just may not sound great. Bonus points if you can borrow one to see if that helps before you spend the money.

3. Upgrade your cart. I'm not a huge Ortofon fan, maybe you're not, as well. Or, maybe your cartridge is defective, or maybe you just have such refined taste from your MP3s and cassettes, that entry level phono equipment just simply will not do! The problem is, under $100 is tough. The Shure M97xe requires the bigger counter weight for the Debut III, not sure if it's the same for the Carbon. There was a AT cartridge AT95e, or something like that, that Michael Fremer was using for his cartridge shootout. Not sure that a sub $100 cart will satisfy you, but I understand your inwillingness to spend money if you don't know if it will fix you problem, or if you just don't have the money.