The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

1 minute ago, wellnow said:

Thanks bud. Saw one pop up yesterday and snagged it from the same seller. They are advertising it as the white one, so if it comes and is clear I'm making them refund me for sure. Don't need two copies of the same thing :( 

Got my clear Union Chapel record in the mail yesterday, it is a beautiful live record as far as sound and performance, really nice pressing too, dead quiet and the silk screened/letter pressed jacket is gorgeous.  It's my favorite of his live records that I've heard so far, for being so heavy on AFP songs and also being solo acoustic the performances are surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly) vibrant and can stand alone from that record as a pretty unique listening experience. Just thought I'd add my two cents since I had a hard time finding any reviews of this record online and I had been hesitant.  Maybe I'm also biased because AFP is my favorite of his records.  Anyway, it's a great record and will be on heavy rotation in the coming weeks. 

2 hours ago, fish said:

Looks like they have them on discogs still for $130 so I'd be surprised if they mailorderd them for $40.

???

I bought all 3 (AFP, Benji, Perils) from them via mail-order for $40 each  but sent them to my other address and won't be there for a bit so I was curious.

Edited by bigdz68

"Hypothetically"--and please don't PM me, I'm not taking offers right now--if I had both a marbled AFP and a black AFP, would it even be worth trying to trade the black for another rare Koz/SKM release? I wouldn't be looking for a white Ghosts or anything--do you think anyone would bite on black-for-black for something like Tiny Cities, Among the Leaves, or Lost Verses Live?

12 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

I don't think that a black AFP equates to any of those you just mentioned -- but maybe if marbled you could work something out with someone. Just my two cents. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm torn between my usual line of, 'Oh, I'll take any variant, I just want to have the songs,' and the cool idea of having something that's so limited.

Out of curiosity, how do the various color pressings of MK/SKM albums stack up in terms of pressing/sound quality? Any pressings to avoid? I know sometimes colored vinyl can be hit or miss but since most of these are pressed at RTI maybe the quality is better across the board?  Almost all of my collection are black pressings (besides clear variants of Benji and Union Hall) and I've been uniformly impressed with the quality of the vinyl, except for Live at Biko which I thought was kind of noisy but tolerable.  Benji and Union Hall are both excellent, would love to know where the others stand in case the opportunity arises to pick any other up in the future 

17 minutes ago, wellnow said:

I ordered one from this seller and sure enough it wasn't the white version pictured. It also came damaged as hell, and the seller ignored my message, so eBay refunded my money after sending it back. Buyer beware...

3 hours ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

I ordered one from this seller and sure enough it wasn't the white version pictured. It also came damaged as hell, and the seller ignored my message, so eBay refunded my money after sending it back. Buyer beware...

Sorry to hear that. They shouldn't be using that picture if that's not the version they're selling. I mean, it would be one thing if they didn't know but you messaged them to tell them it's not that version.

3 hours ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

Same exact thing happened to me. Though mine arrived in decent shape at least...