The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

• 1 month later...

Do the high notes in his voice seem real sharp on anyone's copy of Biko?  Real noticeable for me on Dogs.  I'm mainly asking due to the fact that I'm on a fairly new TT/Preamp.  I though I had it calibrated correctly and I haven't noticed any similar issues on other LPs (including Dogs on Benji), trying to narrow down if it's an LP issue or my setup.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I appreciate it!

I think it sounds ok. There is definitely a sharpness to the high notes, and an overall reverb as well, but given that it's recorded live i just chalked it up to the environment.  

Did you significantly upgrade your system? Maybe it's just that you're not used to it yet? Just guessing...

29 minutes ago, niblips said:

I think it sounds ok. There is definitely a sharpness to the high notes, and an overall reverb as well, but given that it's recorded live i just chalked it up to the environment.  

Did you significantly upgrade your system? Maybe it's just that you're not used to it yet? Just guessing...

Yeah, pretty significant upgrades.  I only have the mp3s to compare with and that didn't do much good :)  Next step would've been grabbing my old table out of my closet and seeing if it's just how the pressing sounds.  Thanks again for checking, you saved me some headaches later on!

Caldo says they are doing a vinyl for the last Koz solo record (the covers one I tink). So maybe. But the fact that Universal Themes didn't get a US pressing makes me think that maybe they could be cutting back. But to be fair, the vinyl versions have always come so much later than the CD and digital. 

Around the time of the Vinyl Films boxset VF Records talked about setting up their own online store and doing a bunch of releases and re-releases. But then they just seemed to disappear. They haven't posted on fb since it came out. And then there was the old stock dump of MK releases last year which made me think someone (possibly them) was cleaning house. So maybe they are just done now? I wouldn't be surprised if his upcoming releases are just put out by Rough Trade in the UK and possibly Luna domestically if he even bothers at all.

52 minutes ago, JohnMatrix said:

I don't know if it's spite that he isn't really doing vinyl but more just that he doesn't care. It's weird how indifferent to merchandising he is in general. 

As long as Rough Trade is able to keep licensing his stuff, I'd think we'll keep seeing EU vinyl releases.

Right.....I don't believe anyone had posted a link to Rough Trade's listing so I just wanted everyone to see what was available.  No mention of a vinyl pressing on Rough Trade, Norman, Picadilly.  Maybe something is still in the works.   Seems so odd that a SKM wouldn't see any kind of vinyl treatment....but it's Koz.

Sorry for the random bump, but I don't feel like creating a new sale thread in the WTB board.

Back when copies of Admiral Fell Promises were being uncovered and sprouting up for sale, I ended up securing a black copy and then caving on a promo just a few days later.  I told myself that I'd sell the black copy to recoup costs if the promo copy showed up and was indeed marbled.  It was, and for a while there I forgot I even had the standard copy sitting on the shelf, gathering dust.  Anyone interested in picking it up for cost?  It's still factory sealed.  Looks like the cheapest copy is $55 + shipping on Discogs, so $50 PPD would work for me.  That's basically at cost, and a couple of bucks for shipping and the hassle of getting to the post office across town.  Just throwing it out there.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Sorry for the random bump, but I don't feel like creating a new sale thread in the WTB board.

Back when copies of Admiral Fell Promises were being uncovered and sprouting up for sale, I ended up securing a black copy and then caving on a promo just a few days later.  I told myself that I'd sell the black copy to recoup costs if the promo copy showed up and was indeed marbled.  It was, and for a while there I forgot I even had the standard copy sitting on the shelf, gathering dust.  Anyone interested in picking it up for cost?  It's still factory sealed.  Looks like the cheapest copy is $55 + shipping on Discogs, so $50 PPD would work for me.  That's basically at cost, and a couple of bucks for shipping and the hassle of getting to the post office across town.  Just throwing it out there.

I'd definitely be interested... Feel free to drop me a message, if it's still available. Cheers!