The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

April and AFP are amazing through and through for me. 

Among the Leaves and Benji were spotty, imo. Some great stuff some mediocre stuff that should have been cut.

Universal Themes did nothing for me at all.

Gonna give this a shot but my belief is faltering considering how off the wall a character this dude is. 

3 minutes ago, rooks said:

April and AFP are amazing through and through for me. 

Among the Leaves and Benji were spotty, imo. Some great stuff some mediocre stuff that should have been cut.

Universal Themes did nothing for me at all.

Gonna give this a shot but my belief is faltering considering how off the wall a character this dude is. 

My feels exactly. Just write a fucking song Mark enough of this reading from your diary shit.

I've felt this way for years honestly. AFP is fucking beautiful. Even if I separate how crazy he is as an individual (which I can do easily) it's like he doesn't try anymore. He throws some improv standard instrumentation down and then reads a page out of his travel journal as fast as he can for 3 minutes. 

I love the album personally. Every album always surpasses my greatest expectations. I'd rather be surprised then get another rehashing of what's predictable.  Someone on sad reminders said "Listening to the samples now and it sounds less like a SKM album and more like MC Koz is dropping a mixtape." which I thought was funny. 

Edited by IndieAtomic

I'm the opposite of most of you. I think this new stuff is more interesting than most of the post Ghosts of the Highway stuff. 2CDs worth of this songwriting is a LOT to take in in one sitting. But my first reaction is that it's mostly brilliant. I loved UT, and this is on par with that. A bit more stylistically diverse, a little more chorus-y. If I can find the time (!) to re listen to it a few times I might like it better than UT. 

36 minutes ago, IndieAtomic said:

I love the album personally. Every album always surpasses my greatest expectations. I'd rather be surprised then get another rehashing of what's predictable.  Someone on sad reminders said "Listening to the samples now and it sounds less like a SKM album and more like MC Koz is dropping a mixtape." which I thought was funny. 

You could have made it through this one time by now and you love it?

Come on

I like his newer songwriting approach more too honestly. It feels more real. My only gripe is when he rambles over music instead of singing. I really love the style he had going on the Desertshore and Jimmy LaValle records.

This record would be a great single LP if he cut out a few of the clunkers. But overall it's pretty good after 2 listens

I guess I finally realized today that I really, really hate all of Mark's new music. It's not necessarily the rambling, but the bitterness that I can't stand. I could handle sad Mark, but old angry Mark annoys the hell out of me. It's like hanging out with a coworker that won't stop complaining. 

1 minute ago, davey said:

I guess I finally realized today that I really, really hate all of Mark's new music. It's not necessarily the rambling, but the bitterness that I can't stand. I could handle sad Mark, but old angry Mark annoys the hell out of me. It's like hanging out with a coworker that won't stop complaining. 

Kinda like most of the people in this thread.  

3 minutes ago, davey said:

Totally, this is a huge piece of it for me too.

At least when he was singing about pudgy ugly dudes and hipsters on AFP it was more lamentable instead of angry/spiteful.

Everything he does now just seeps with hate for everyone and himself and then as a result the few moments of light on albums stick out like sore thumbs. I totally can jive with the self-hate/hate of everything nihilism stuff, but it's just not a fun listen. Especially not in this type of setting.

Edited by rooks

I totally take personal responsibility for the difference though.

I found SKM when AFP came out. I thought it was so damn pretty and somber and I loved it so that's what I came to expect.  Mark's free to make whatever music he wants to (and obviously he is) and that's chill. Just not for me, and it's my own fault.

Edited by rooks

Honestly the only complete album I can listen to since April is the Lavalle collab. I like a few tracks off of AFP and ATL but that is about it. I still buy everything he puts on on vinyl as I have a minor addiction to keep some of the artists in my collection complete but I really can't appreciate much of anything he's done solo in nearly a decade. I just miss the songwriting and music he used to put together. He needs a whole band again and Justin Broadrick absolutely shouldn't be one of its members (and I love JKB).

7 hours ago, thischarmingman said:

Kinda like most of the people in this thread.  

Well, I mean, the thread is to discuss the music Mark churns out.  Reactions are subject to variation.  If it's a bad release, people can and will "complain" about it or discuss it negatively.  It's warranted because it's on topic.  Kind of different than writing an album about dead possums and how much you hate hipsters.

23 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Well, I mean, the thread is to discuss the music Mark churns out.  Reactions are subject to variation.  If it's a bad release, people can and will "complain" about it or discuss it negatively.  It's warranted because it's on topic.  Kind of different than writing an album about dead possums and how much you hate hipsters.

The thread itself isn't solely dedicated to complaining. I stand by my comment pointing out the irony of someone complaining about Mark complaining, analogizing to co-workers complaining about the same thing over and over, in a thread full of people complaining about the same thing over and over---i.e., new Mark. 

Edited by thischarmingman
Typo