The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

As someone who enjoys new Mark quite a bit I completely understand why people wouldn't like it. Definitely not for everyone, especially if you enjoy RHP and early Sun Kil Moon. Almost feel like he should stop calling himself Sun Kil Moon at this point and just Mark Kozelek 

Ok, so I got 4 songs in against my own will:

Guys, please let's be honest with ourselves here, this is complete dogshit. I've never seen an artist fall so far from what they once were, and no, this is not musical growth. This is a man who's stringing his fans along for financial gain by putting out songs that take 12 minutes to write in a studio on the fly. I'm starting to think he's really lost his mind OR he is in some kind of financial crisis which requires him to release 2 albums a year and various live recordings to pay whatever addiction he has. I've seen artists genuinely try hard and still put out something that doesn't work, but if we're real to ourselves here, he's not even trying. Please listen to 'Chili Lemon Peanuts' and convince me he has not 100% made his transition into Wesley Willis. Don't lie to yourselves, this is lazy ass garbage songwriting and its a slap in the face to music in general

40 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Ok, so I got 4 songs in against my own will:

Guys, please let's be honest with ourselves here, this is complete dogshit. I've never seen an artist fall so far from what they once were, and no, this is not musical growth. This is a man who's stringing his fans along for financial gain by putting out songs that take 12 minutes to write in a studio on the fly. I'm starting to think he's really lost his mind OR he is in some kind of financial crisis which requires him to release 2 albums a year and various live recordings to pay whatever addiction he has. I've seen artists genuinely try hard and still put out something that doesn't work, but if we're real to ourselves here, he's not even trying. Please listen to 'Chili Lemon Peanuts' and convince me he has not 100% made his transition into Wesley Willis. Don't lie to yourselves, this is lazy ass garbage songwriting and its a slap in the face to music in general

It's the whitest rap song I've ever heard in my entire life.

Good on you for making it 4 songs in Tommy. I got through what felt like the first 6,780 minutes of nonsense on Chili Lemon Peanuts and turned that shit OFF.

Edited by rooks

39 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Please listen to 'Chili Lemon Peanuts' and convince me he has not 100% made his transition into Wesley Willis.

That's exactly the kind of incentive I needed to give this a listen. Solely for shits'n'giggles, of course. This is post War On Drugs-fuckfest Kozelek after all.

I couldn't listen to the stream yesterday at work due to poor internet speed. I'm giving it a listen today, but man....it's the same kinda stuff from the last album. As much as i want it to be good it just isn't. If i find it cheaply (which shouldn't be hard) I'll pick it up. Long gone are the days when i would pre-order this man's albums. Long long gone.

27 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

Anyone wanna buy my entire Kozelek vinyl collection? After hearing a few minutes of this new blatherskite, I can hardly stand to look at them with any grain of seriousness left.....

I'd be up for that. Not the local pickup though lol. Haven't listened to any of the new record yet. 'Saving' it until the weekend. Work is depressing enough without a suposedly subpar Koz album y'know :-/

Edited by thesewoodenideas

4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Seriously, fuck this guy. I only post in here hoping he will eventually read this thread while searching for album reviews, as he sits alone in his hotel bathtub

I actually laughed at my computer...then I realized that reading this board would give him something to bitch about on his next album

I can see it now: He reads every post in order over his traditional musical backdrop, taking a break after every page of the thread to add his own commentary

3 minutes ago, thesewoodenideas said:

Rooks, I was scrolling down through those images thinking yeah this sums up recent Koz music, then I got to Atreyu trying to save Artax (not realising it was your sig) and thought "damn is this how bad things have gotten?"

It's how I feel at all times, but, especially when thinking about Kozelek's progression.

COME ON MARK, WE HAVE TO KEEP MOVING. FIGHT AGAINST THE SADNESS MARK.

Please, you’re letting the Sadness of the Swamps get to you. You have to try. You have to care. For me. You’re my friend. I love you.

i guess ill come across as an apologist but lets look at the post-RHP body of work

Ghosts of the Great Highway (2003)

Tiny Cities (2005)

April (2008)

Admiral Fell Promises (2010)

Among the Leaves (2012)

Perils from the Sea (2013) (with Jimmy LaValle)

Benji (2014)

Universal Themes (2015)

Jesu/Sun Kil Moon (2016)

Common As Light and Love Are Red Valleys of Blood (2017)

I think AFP is the weakest traditional album, and have to admit that Universal Themes didnt do much for me, but Benji is excellent, and i like both collaborations (Perils and Jesu/SKM).

I suppose it boils down to what you think about ATL and Perils with regards to what direction hes gone, as those were clearly changes in style but didnt people like Benji?

4 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Also can you imagine, he writes a song about VC and just ends up reading the posts during it for 14 minutes. 

Not gonna lie I'd preorder that haha.

He has shown he hates record collectors in his songs already and how he hates people who diss him online (Cry Me A River Williamsburg...) so if anything a song about VCers would be the natural destination of his current form of songwriting.

15 minutes ago, Holo said:

I didn't like anything past Ghosts. Someone sell me cheap Ghosts or RP the fucker so I can be done.

RHP is so goddamn great it makes me wish we got more, but no matter how much I try I can't dig any of the newer stuff

@GreatGreenOne77 sell your variants and give me Ghosts <3

I guess it's a safe assumption that you need to reevaluate your stance on April, preferably by giving it a fresh listen. You're missing out on some of his best songs. It easily equals Ghosts and later RHP, in my opinion. He lost me after that one, though.

14 minutes ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

I guess it's a safe assumption that you need to reevaluate your stance on April, preferably by giving it a fresh listen. You're missing out on some of his best songs. It easily equals Ghosts and later RHP, in my opinion. He lost me after that one, though.

maybe I'll give it another go today when I finish the new stuff in my queue