The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

Ghosts is probably my most prized record in my collection. I remember buying it for $50 on eBay back in 2009 from a guy who didn't even take a picture of it and just listed the CD cover on the listing. I think most people passed on it because it wasn't clear that it was the LP version and the seller didn't list the quality of the item. Pretty shitty job by the lister, but he probably had no idea the value of the record he was selling.

5 minutes ago, untiliwakeup said:

Damn, that is terrible, but a car is pretty essential.hopefully you had another copy of ghosts at least?  I've been tempted to sell my signed promo AFP from time to time, I Just could  never bring myself to do it. 

No, it was my original one ordered from Aural Exploits way back when they existed. Dunno why my slack ass didn't order two or get the marble one they had as well. Back then I never dreamed in a million years I would end up parting with a single piece. Had all my RHP done besides an op of DCH. Sold Ocean Beach, Roller Coaster, and Ghost all in one swing. Now the car is in a junk yard and I want my records back lol

Edited by GreatGreenOne77

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Ghosts is probably my most prized record in my collection. I remember buying it for $50 on eBay back in 2009 from a guy who didn't even take a picture of it and just listed the CD cover on the listing. I think most people passed on it because it wasn't clear that it was the LP version and the seller didn't list the quality of the item. Pretty shitty job by the lister, but he probably had no idea the value of the record he was selling.

I got my op of Ocean Beach that way kind of. Guy listed for auction starting at like $30, so I write him and offered him $65 straight up for it, he turned it down. I was the only bidder, and took it for $30...lol

3 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

I got my op of Ocean Beach that way kind of. Guy listed for auction starting at like $30, so I write him and offered him $65 straight up for it, he turned it down. I was the only bidder, and took it for $30...lol

That's seriously the best when that happens...

11 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

Call this place, Monster Music. They are about 2 hours from me but have been posting pictures of it on their IG and I'm pretty sure they do mail order. Maybe they can hook you up with one.

http://www.monstermusicsc.com/CustomPage/3881

So they have one copy of Perils. They said it's the higher priced one in the system of the 3 copies they have in the system but there's no sticker or anything insinuating it's the promo one. Is there ANYTHING telling it's the promo on the outside? I don't know if I want to do a $50 gamble to get a record I already own :(

1 minute ago, Kanye West said:

So they have one copy of Perils. They said it's the higher priced one in the system of the 3 copies they have in the system but there's no sticker or anything insinuating it's the promo one. Is there ANYTHING telling it's the promo on the outside? I don't know if I want to do a $50 gamble to get a record I already own :(

I literally just opened mine from Melody and there wasn't anything that said it was a promo or marbled.

12 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

No kidding! I've pretty much grabbed everything I could directly from Koz/VF/Caldo Verde for the past nearly 15 years or so I guess? I had a sealed autographed copy of Ghost that I paid shelf price for and sold it to someone in Sweden because I had to have a car :( 

I know eventually ghosts will get repressed. It's too much of an essential album to be out of print forever.  I loved aural exploits, I've heard people got ripped off from them but I never had a bad transaction. I bought the marbled April and blue SFABG from them. 

1 minute ago, Kanye West said:

They all have the same sticker on them and I can't tell you anyway to tell outside of them supposing to know their own inventory. Sorry brother, I will keep my eyes peeled 

2 minutes ago, untiliwakeup said:

I know eventually ghosts will get repressed. It's too much of an essential album to be out of print forever.  I loved aural exploits, I've heard people got ripped off from them but I never had a bad transaction. I bought the marbled April and blue SFABG from them. 

I dunno what the hell happened with them. My only complaint was just about every record I got from them had corner damage, but I just assumed that was to be expected when my records were traveling all the way across country. But they were great for a while. 

2 minutes ago, untiliwakeup said:

They were great until right before they went under. They tried to screw me on a PJ Harvey release that they took preorders for but never actually put out but I managed to get refunded after a lot of effort. They also took a lot of orders for a Jesu album right before they vanished and didn't fulfill them or refund people.

1 minute ago, fish said:

They were great until right before they went under. They tried to screw me on a PJ Harvey release that they took preorders for but never actually put out but I managed to get refunded after a lot of effort. They also took a lot of orders for a Jesu album right before they vanished and didn't fulfill them or refund people.

Ahhh. Sounds like a story that's been told over and over again. I will say I loved when Mark was working with 10 Spot Distro in Greensboro simply because anything I ordered was basically here overnight or two days later since it's 4 hours from my house lol

12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That is an awesome find! I had to pony up $150 for a sealed copy on discogs, around the same time '08 or '09 . How I afforded that while making, I think, $8.50 an hour, and paying bills is another story lol. 

Just now, untiliwakeup said:

That is an awesome find! I had to pony up $150 for a sealed copy on discogs, around the same time '08 or '09 . How I afforded that while making, I think, $8.50 an hour, and paying bills is another story lol. 

There's ALWAYS a slight budgetary adjustment for life's true essentials lol

1 hour ago, fish said:

Shoot, that's cool!  I am trying to buy one but I am getting an error message at the shipping page.  Maybe they aren't willing to ship this?  

17 minutes ago, jackshidt said:

Shoot, that's cool!  I am trying to buy one but I am getting an error message at the shipping page.  Maybe they aren't willing to ship this?  

I can get all the way to the payment page okay after it calculates shipping. So it should work. I'd call them tomorrow if you keep having issues and really want it. Their stock is all in real time and they should ship anything listed on their site if it has an "add to cart" button. I probably wont be able to make it down there until at least the weekend or else id just grab it for you.