Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

You got me listening to J. Cole talking about him earlier (I think it was you), I'd say he's miles ahead of Kendrick, but different strokes.

I think all the skits and shit on GKMC just really turned me off. I've never been much into skits, even though I know on GKMC they helped move a story along. I maybe felt like he was spoon feeding the story too much... Just let the music tell it, you know?

Yeah that was me. J. Cole is dope. Took me a long time to jump on the bandwagon. I personally like Born Sinner way more than Forest Hills Drive.

Kendrick's voices can be a little more distracting than Biggie's but I truly enjoyed GKMC for the cohesive story it told and Kendrick's lyricism. The Blacker The Berry has me feeling positive this will continue with [untitled]

Sometimes when he does that it reminds me of the way big used to do that so accurately

I hate comparing people but Biggie's storytelling was so ill

You got me listening to J. Cole talking about him earlier (I think it was you), I'd say he's miles ahead of Kendrick, but different strokes.

I think all the skits and shit on GKMC just really turned me off. I've never been much into skits, even though I know on GKMC they helped move a story along. I maybe felt like he was spoon feeding the story too much... Just let the music tell it, you know?

On first listen, the skits completely ruined the album for me. Once the big picture clicked, I was able to appreciate their importance

1)  Good Kid is a very solid album but Section 80 is the masterpiece.    Not surprising really, a lot of the best releases of this decade have been the ones that were dropped online for free (1999, Section 80, Acid Rap, The Water(s), ext). 

2) J Cole is inoffensive trash. Kendrick is the best thing mainstream hip-hop has had going for it since Outkast.   And with the mix tape blurring the lines between underground and mainstream, commercial rap hasn't been this good since the height of DE LA Soul, Fugees, Nas and ATCQ.

3) I'm fully expecting an instant classic when this drops.  However, G.K.M.C. is probably the worst sounding vinyl I own... so unless they announce a limited variant, I'll be holding off until reports on sound quality emerge. 

Countdown until somebody begins yammering about (how I failed to mention) Tupac starts in....

1) Good Kid is a very solid album but Section 80 is the masterpiece. Not surprising really, a lot of the best releases of this decade have been the ones that were dropped online for free (1999, Section 80, Acid Rap, The Water(s), ext).

2) J Cole is inoffensive trash. Kendrick is the best thing mainstream hip-hop has had going for it since Outkast. And with the mix tape blurring the lines between underground and mainstream, commercial rap hasn't been this good since the height of DE LA Soul, Fugees, Nas and ATCQ.

3) I'm fully expecting an instant classic when this drops. However, G.K.M.C. is probably the worst sounding vinyl I own... so unless they announce a limited variant, I'll be holding off until reports on sound quality emerge.

Countdown until somebody begins yammering about (how I failed to mention) Tupac starts in....

J. Cole part is on point. He's baaaaaad.

1) Good Kid is a very solid album but Section 80 is the masterpiece. Not surprising really, a lot of the best releases of this decade have been the ones that were dropped online for free (1999, Section 80, Acid Rap, The Water(s), ext).

2) J Cole is inoffensive trash. Kendrick is the best thing mainstream hip-hop has had going for it since Outkast. And with the mix tape blurring the lines between underground and mainstream, commercial rap hasn't been this good since the height of DE LA Soul, Fugees, Nas and ATCQ.

3) I'm fully expecting an instant classic when this drops. However, G.K.M.C. is probably the worst sounding vinyl I own... so unless they announce a limited variant, I'll be holding off until reports on sound quality emerge.

The GKMC press is terrible. I've only played it maybe twice

I don't want to sound condescending, but I'm genuinely curious: how does a title grow on you? Do you read it or say it aloud multiple times until it rolls off the tongue? Or think about it until it takes on a new context? You guys have got me wondering.

I was like WTF until someone said that it was possibly a To Kill A Mockingbird reference.

This is as well from AbsolutePunk

The best explanation yet would be that if refers to the corruption of something innocent, natural, and beautiful for profit; and that is has something to do with emergence/completion of a transition. It would fit what we know about the record so far in terms of social themes.

"Official" tracklist:

1. Wesley's Theory
  2. For Free? (Interlude) 
  3. King Kunta
  4. Institutionalized
  5. These Walls
  6. U
  7. Alright
  8. For Sale? (Interlude)
  9. Momma
  10. Hood Politics
  11. How Much A Dollar Cost
  12. Complexion
  13. The Blacker The Berry
  14. You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said)
  15. i
  16. Mortal Man

Looks fairly legit. Definitely reads more like a Kendrick album than the fake one that was floating around.