Records from bands you didn't know were so expensive/rare until joining VC

May have been me. I sold my copy for like $10 on here years ago. I actually had it in a couple sale threads before it finally sold too. Was not in high demand at all just a few years ago. I had no idea it was worth more than that until just now.

I think it may have been.

For what it's worth, I have no intentions of selling it.

I still can't believe Bloc Party's "the silent alarm" goes for as much as it does with how many pressings the've down and with how unimpressive the prices are for the rest of BP's discography. I love everything that band has put out and every other album Ive been able to find for more than reasonable prices.

Clucking Bell!!!!!

I've got a 1st UK press of that which I bought when it came out, it was always easy to get for years.

Good thread this as I keep finding things like this

Honestly I wouldn't mind their first piece getting pressed. I never heard their second, but I know it came out when Rise was doing small pressings.

Now that I think about it Mayday Parade, and Go Radio belong in these threads cause those albums are pretty expensive on the secondhand market last time I checked.

I have mayday's a lesson in romantics. I don't think I'll ever come across their s/t for a reasonable price though. Honestly their first two records were the best in my opinion.

Clucking Bell!!!!!

I've got a 1st UK press of that which I bought when it came out, it was always easy to get for years.

Good thread this as I keep finding things like this

You and me both. I am surprised at how many presses there have been of this, and also how rare my picture disc is.

I wouldn't say I don't play it often, but I haven't seen it for over a decade... :-/

Mayday Parade's Self Titled is so hard to come by, it's definitely one of my white whales. Right up there with The Graduates-Only Every Time. So hard to track down a copy.

The Graduate popped up on Ebay for $50 and I didn't pull the trigger because I was too stressed about money, still pissed at myself for it.

I had the chance to get both of them when they were first pressed, but I only got A Lesson in Romantics and a sadly missed out on the Black cover one, though I think the Original cover on white vinyl looks pretty nice

I have mayday's a lesson in romantics. I don't think I'll ever come across their s/t for a reasonable price though. Honestly their first two records were the best in my opinion.

Really I don't like Anywhere But Here that much.

But I would love love love to have some Go Radio stuff, but it's so niche, that it won't be seeing a repress anytime soon! 

I had the chance to get both of them when they were first pressed, but I only got A Lesson in Romantics and a sadly missed out on the Black cover one, though I think the Original cover on white vinyl looks pretty nice

Really I don't like Anywhere But Here that much.

But I would love love love to have some Go Radio stuff, but it's so niche, that it won't be seeing a repress anytime soon!

I meant tales told by dead friends and lesson in romantics :)

M83 Saturdays=Youth. 

I bought this after seeing him live a couple years back for like $18, and never realized how sought after it was until I saw a post here. When I uploaded on Discogs, I was shocked it now goes for over $150! 

Being the big Third Man Records and all things Jack  fan that I am and how expensive of a hobby that is, I've greatly considered trading or selling to get one of my higher "wants"

I have a few -

Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch

Air - Virgin Suicides Soundtrack

Rx Bandits  - ATBB, Resignation, Progress

Saves the Day - In Reverie

The first couple Mars Volta records

I think the most "valuable" record I own is actually Tom Petty's Greatest Hits from the 90's. Recently saw that on discogs for almost 300 bucks. I got it a few years ago at a store in France of all places for around 20.

Just found this out yesterday...

Warpaint - Exquisite Corpse EP - First pressing of 100 on "sky-and-clouds" blue vinyl

I have a few -

Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch

Air - Virgin Suicides Soundtrack

Rx Bandits  - ATBB, Resignation, Progress

Saves the Day - In Reverie

The first couple Mars Volta records

I think the most "valuable" record I own is actually Tom Petty's Greatest Hits from the 90's. Recently saw that on discogs for almost 300 bucks. I got it a few years ago at a store in France of all places for around 20.

I didn't even know they pressed that Tom Petty's Greatest Hits album, I've tried looking before and didn't find anything... I think because I was just searching Tom Petty and not with "The Heartbreakers".  That album was the first CD I ever bought as a kid, I hope they repress that one day.  Good find.

M83 Saturdays=Youth. 

I bought this after seeing him live a couple years back for like $18, and never realized how sought after it was until I saw a post here. When I uploaded on Discogs, I was shocked it now goes for over $150! 

Being the big Third Man Records and all things Jack  fan that I am and how expensive of a hobby that is, I've greatly considered trading or selling to get one of my higher "wants"

This is one of mine that I noticed too.  My copy isn't in the best of shape, but at least I have it. Pretty sure m83 will reissue this at some point, so if you want to make a lot of money off it now is the time.

M83 Saturdays=Youth. 

What someone is asking and what it goes for are not the same thing.  If you look at the sales history, the last one went for $45 and that's pretty much the average.  While it's worth more than the initial cost, it's not going for a crazy amount either.

I'd sell mine in a heart beat if I thought I could get that kind of money for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if the huge cost of some of these records has to do with nostalgia.  I know Blink-182 albums aren't considerably more expensive than a lot of stuff posted in this thread, but I wouldn't have imagined that people would be lining up to purchase Take Off Your Pants & Jacket new for $50 13 years later.

nah if you look on ebay for any blink album they want way more than 100$ for their vinyl and its crazy . i think the whole pop punk is what is making vinyl "cool" again and people are taking advantage of it by really trying to screw over little eleven teen yr olds out of their allowance lol

Already mentioned, but I had no idea anybody cared about Brand New. I can remember a few friends being into them years ago, but I would have just assumed they were one of those nothing bands that got some attention for a minute and were then forgotten to the sands of time. Listening to them, I cannot understand the appeal. It's like some Twilight Zone shit where people are living in a world where records that are actually good no longer exist.

Not necessarily just Vinyl Collective, but the first time I sold one of my Fat Wreck coloured records I was blown away by how much it went for and how much attention/activity the auction received. It was kind of ridiculous.

Guest s0uthard

Bayside - Killing Time. Almost bought one a couple years ago for like $15 but passed it up, recently acquired one for $85. Also, had no clue the Fall Out Boy - From Under the Cork Tree hot topic represses went for so much until around last month.

I almost bought Killing Time for $5 when they had a sale years ago when no one cared, but I passed. I wish I didn't.