Jay 'Z' launches "Tidal" HIFI streaming service

I used the service a few months ago on a free trial. It's great.

The sound quality is much better than spotify.

I'm guess most of you don't have systems set up for streaming music or playing lossless audio, but for those of us that do this is really interesting.

The $20 price point is the only reason I didn't keep it, but I'm heavily debating canceling spotify and switching to tidal.

i almost signed up for a trial until they wanted my cc/paypal info up front.

then i sent them a note-

I'm curious to know if Tidal has albums not mastered as loudly as their CD counterparts.  I'm highly interested in high-fidelity copies of modern albums (esp. Def Jam/GOOD music) with true-to-studio sound... like one might find on a vinyl record or quietly mastered cd or live performance.  Also consider 24-bit downloads.  I'm most interested in Kanye West, Frank Ocean, John Legend and Pusha T's music seeing a proper audiophile release.

Lossless streaming to an iPhone is not what tidal is really about.

If you have a hifi system at home with a DAC and PC or other device that you use to play lossless audio, this is another option.

The nice thing is that tidal does give you the option to stream lossy audio to your mobile device to alleviate that issue while still letting you stream lossless to your hifi system.

In that application tidal is really great. Only complaints are price and the selection is good but not as deep as spotify (yet)

Lossless streaming to an iPhone is not what tidal is really about.

If you have a hifi system at home with a DAC and PC or other device that you use to play lossless audio, this is another option.

The nice thing is that tidal does give you the option to stream lossy audio to your mobile device to alleviate that issue while still letting you stream lossless to your hifi system.

In that application tidal is really great. Only complaints are price and the selection is good but not as deep as spotify (yet)

this sounds very very niche

The push for lossless music is ever growing. A service like tidal entering the market and having support from musical artist is only going to increase that push.

Some people are fine with MP3 files and that's cool. Tidal isn't for those people... Well... I guess it is now that they are offering a lossy version for the same price as spotify. Tidals real advantage is for those of us that want to listen to lossless music and want easy solutions to do so. This is a nice platform to do just that.

I don't get this streaming shit at all. When at home I will listen to records or occasionally mp3s on my computer, and when at work/out and about I'll listen to mp3s (from bandcamp or soulseek) on my phone. I checked out the free Spotify trial and it's so shitty compared to just having albums on your phone.

I don't understand why it's any different streaming on spotify than it is having the MP3's on your phone? Phones are limited to a small amount of memory anyway, it's a lot easier to swap/change/stream anything I fancy listening to at the spur of the moment whilst out rather than having to plan in advance what I'll want to listen to before I leave the house.

Until they start making 120GB+ phones like the old style ipods, i'll keep streaming and syncing playlists from spotify.

I don't understand why it's any different streaming on spotify than it is having the MP3's on your phone? Phones are limited to a small amount of memory anyway, it's a lot easier to swap/change/stream anything I fancy listening to at the spur of the moment whilst out rather than having to plan in advance what I'll want to listen to before I leave the house.

Until they start making 120GB+ phones like the old style ipods, i'll keep streaming and syncing playlists from spotify.

The paid version feels the same. I think he is talking about the free version of Spotify which kind of sucks and does not feel like a replacement. 

I used the service a few months ago on a free trial. It's great.

The sound quality is much better than spotify.

I'm guess most of you don't have systems set up for streaming music or playing lossless audio, but for those of us that do this is really interesting.

The $20 price point is the only reason I didn't keep it, but I'm heavily debating canceling spotify and switching to tidal.

Seriously? If you've been in the audiophile world long enough, you should know that, if the masters are the same, there is no audible difference between Tidal's lossless stream and Spotify's high-bitrate option for streaming. There is a material difference between lossless and very high bitrate lossy, but there shouldn't be an audible difference. The purpose of lossless is for preservation of the data, not its consumption. The streaming nature of Tidal means that we won't be able to store the lossless files or archive them to HDD, CD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc.

Lossless streaming is absurd because streaming's purpose is purely for consumption, and there is no way that a human could tell the difference between a lossless file and a very high bitrate lossy file in a blind test of the same audio.

It's cool that artists are supporting high quality audio formats, but if the mastering is bad there's really no point. 

On point. Spotify needs to work with artists to release several masters of old releases. I'd rather subscribe to a more detailed and source-conscious Spotify than send $100 to some guy in Europe for an old CD on Discogs.

Seriously? If you've been in the audiophile world long enough, you should know that, if the masters are the same, there is no audible difference between Tidal's lossless stream and Spotify's high-bitrate option for streaming. There is a material difference between lossless and very high bitrate lossy, but there shouldn't be an audible difference. The purpose of lossless is for preservation of the data, not its consumption. The streaming nature of Tidal means that we won't be able to store the lossless files or archive them to HDD, CD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc.

Lossless streaming is absurd because streaming's purpose is purely for consumption, and there is no way that a human could tell the difference between a lossless file and a very high bitrate lossy file in a blind test of the same audio.

On point. Spotify needs to work with artists to release several masters of old releases. I'd rather subscribe to a more detailed and source-conscious Spotify than send $100 to some guy in Europe for an old CD on Discogs.

maybe you should get a more revealing system?

There is a material difference between lossless and very high bitrate lossy, but there shouldn't be an audible difference. The purpose of lossless is for preservation of the data, not its consumption. 

Ludicrous. Depends on the song, certainly, but there are definitely audible differences between many high bitrate lossy files and their lossless counterparts. These differences are minor, of course, and probably don't matter to everyone. But saying that lossless is for data preservation only is ignorant.

If your human ear can't tell the difference then you need to spend a few thousand more dollars to force yourself to hear a difference to justify those few thousand more dollars.

Something like that.

But really if you have a system that isn't revealing then a normal MP3 is probably fine and you don't need hirez files.

On the flip side, if you have a system you've invested a lot money in and is revealing to even minor changes, then hirez only makes sense.