Jay 'Z' launches "Tidal" HIFI streaming service

maybe you should get a more revealing system?

Ludicrous. Depends on the song, certainly, but there are definitely audible differences between many high bitrate lossy files and their lossless counterparts. These differences are minor, of course, and probably don't matter to everyone. But saying that lossless is for data preservation only is ignorant.

Improvements to gear/system would improve any lossless and lossy audio. That's not the point. ABX test a lossless file with a high bitrate MP3 transcoded from the same lossless. I 100% guarantee no human could tell the difference on any system.

I listen to my music through a Schiit Bifrost DAC, Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amp, and Sennheiser HD 800 headphones, so don't think I'm not deeply invested in this passion of mine.

If your human ear can't tell the difference then you need to spend a few thousand more dollars to force yourself to hear a difference to justify those few thousand more dollars.

LOL. I like that.  ;)

The iOS app is a dumpster fire. That alone is enough to make me keep Spotify (which has gotten better). Also, lossless streaming is insane. Data plan = thrashed in an hour and can fit 20 albums on my 64GB iPhone if downloaded. It's mad!

Flac is usually 300 to 400MB per album, you sure get more than 20 albums on your phone.

• 4 weeks later...

Third Man Records just announced that all Third Man Platinum Vault Members can sign up for the premium tidal for $5/extra month. So if you pay $60/quarter for the vault, you get a promo code so your tidal membership is $5 instead of $20. The price is right enough for me to try it out, since I'm going to stay a vault member.